Author Topic: Mouse hanging  (Read 810 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Mouse hanging
« on: 05 September, 2008, 06:55:44 pm »
No not the latest Olympic sport, but a problem on my Dad's PC.

The mouse (standard PS2) intermitttently stops responding. Pointer won't move, clicks don't do anything. I can sometimes get "phantom" mouse clicks (guess where the invisible pointer is and click hopefully). I've swapped it for a known good USB one, without improvement. And the PS2 is working fine on this machine.  I

System is XP Home, SP2. half a gig of RAM.

As the problems only started after he hooked up to Orange ADSL I'm inclined to think it's some crap program that the install disk put on.  I've uninstalled the Orange toolbarand the router program (I can access that from a browser window). I've run Regcleaner to get rid of unwanted registry entries.

What now?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

DaveJ

• Happy days
Re: Mouse hanging
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2008, 10:58:56 pm »
System Restore back to a time before the problems started?

Dave

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:02:01 pm »
Reinstall mouse drivers.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »
Tried the mouse driver thing (standard  MS mouse driver). No luck.

Not tried the system restore thing yet. I'll have a go tomorrow.

Thinking about it (dangerous I know), I don't need any of the crap Orange provided do I? The link to the router is by LAN, rather than Wireless, so it's all standard TCP/IP setting stuff, plus a browser to configure the router.

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2008, 12:10:58 am »
Don't think you need anything from Orange.  My ADSL provider is PlusNet, but I bought and configured a router myself by just using the settings they provided but without any of their software.

My own experience is that you should be able to to plug in a USB mouse and it will work with no problems.  It might not be related, but I would also suggest that XP would run better with a bit more RAM.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2008, 04:53:15 pm »
System restore seems to have done it, although being an intermittent problem it's a bit tricky to tell.

Thanks for the advice people.