Author Topic: Windoze taskbar  (Read 1792 times)

Martin

Windoze taskbar
« on: 09 September, 2008, 08:33:40 am »
The youngest has managed to put the windows taskbar at the top of the screen; trying to fix it it now does not appear when I have IE/OE open; and is also now twice as wide as it needs to be (the adjust height arrow won't make it any smaller) with all the quick start icons scrunched up on the RH side

any ideas?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Windoze taskbar
« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:38:21 am »
Right click on the task bar and select properties de-select "lock the task bar" and "auto-hide the task bar" make sure "keep the task bar on top" is checked.  click ok and you should be able to move/resize to your hearts delight...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:39:31 am »
Press and hold left mouse key whilst on the taskbar.  You can now drag it anywhere around the top, bottom and either side of the screen.

Hover the pointer over the edge of the taskbar until you get a double-headed arrow appear.     Press and hold left mouse button and make the taskbar bigger or smaller.

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:40:08 am »
Oops, sorry.  Thanks Tiermat for the unlock bit first.   :-[

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:44:27 am »
Thanks; have managed to move it to the bottom and show it but it's still too wide; the second set of dotted lines below the Start icon may have something to do with this

bobajobrob

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:46:49 am »
Thanks; have managed to move it to the bottom and show it but it's still too wide; the second set of dotted lines below the Start icon may have something to do with this

Hover over the top of the taskbar and the cursor icon should change to a bi-directional arrow. Click and drag to change the height of the taskbar.

Martin

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2008, 08:58:14 am »

Hover over the top of the taskbar and the cursor icon should change to a bi-directional arrow. Click and drag to change the height of the taskbar.

doesn't work; will go wider but no narrower; I think the problem is that I have 2 taskbars one above the other; denoted by those faint dots on the LHS

« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:04:59 am »
Hover over, then drag the dots to the right.

Martin

« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:05:48 am »
Hover over, then drag the dots to the right.

I get the arrows but it won't shift; would scanreg/restore help?

« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:06:48 am »
If you right click on the taskbar do you have a remove option? What is in the properties of the right click menu, is there a remove option?

A right click is always worth a try on anything.

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:08:06 am »
Do a right click then select Toolbars.

What have you got ticked?

I have Windows Media Player and Language Bar.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:10:22 am »

Quick Launch only; unticking this makes it adjustable to the right height but I lose the little IE OE and Word icons which are not on my desktop (and I don't want them to be)

« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:14:43 am »

Quick Launch only

OK, I've selected quick launch only.   I can still play with the size of the taskbar.  Is your taskbar locked?     

« Reply #13 on: 09 September, 2008, 09:18:07 am »
Sorry, got to go out.  Important business.

Will catch up later.

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 09 September, 2008, 03:58:23 pm »
sussed it; there are two dotted lines that divide the quick start icons (IE Word and OE) from the start button and the active tasks when unlocked (just visible in my screenshot); they were one above the other so it wouldn't compress, by moving the bottom one to the right until it cleared the quick start icons I could shrink the taskbar. I've locked it now  ;)

« Reply #15 on: 09 September, 2008, 04:01:22 pm »
Well done.  :thumbsup: