Author Topic: USB Connections and hub  (Read 1126 times)

USB Connections and hub
« on: 17 September, 2008, 05:50:19 pm »
I have a newish Toshiba Notebook with two USB Connectors. Of course I need four USB connections and assumed that a four way hub would sort out the problem. Well with a new USB 2.0 Hub, the computer found it OK.

But it doesn't work! Initially I thought the hub was faulty but now suspect the set up may be incorrect somehow. One of my existing USB Connectors is used for the mouse and the other for the Internet. If I want to print I have to disconnect the mouse and connect the Printer and use the touch pad which in itself is a damn nuisance.

I am hesitant to buy a new Hub  until I can be sure that it will work and may be even the one I bought can work if my set up is corrected? Is there any special method to do this or  a method to confirm that  the Hub does or doesn't work? :-[

Also Hub Manufacturers that are reliable would be a good guide for me. Mine is Chinese :demon:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: USB Connections and hub
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2008, 06:53:17 pm »
Hubs should be standard - but sometimes support is poor - I had a motherboard which would fail to go through post if a hub was connected.

Go to device manager, then view devices by connection. You should be able to trace through all usb hubs to see what is being detected.

Is it an externally powered hub? If so try fitting the psu.

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2008, 05:58:03 am »
Thanks for reminding me I have a device manager, old age you know :o

I will give it another whirl and also reverse the connections to the computer whilst checking the device manager. And if needs be buy another hub made in Taiwan.

Fingers crossed now.

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2008, 12:17:28 pm »
May not help, but costs nothing: have you tried the hub in the USB port normally occupied by the mouse?
Profit or planet?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2008, 02:52:36 pm »
If USB-powered, the hub and devices may be demanding more current than the laptop can provide.  You might need an externally powered one.

If you have another computer, try the hub with that to see if it works at all.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2008, 03:00:15 pm »
Just remembered....

When I was using a modem via USB, it insisted on beng connected directly to a USB port on the computer rather than a hub.  (Probably because it could get more power like that).

I think it's most likely that your problems are power related anyway.

« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »
My hub is externally powered so that should be OK?

I don't know therefore how to approach a power issue if that is the case. That narrows me down to a faulty hub, a check by Device Manager to see if all connections appear to be working OK, switching USB connections and I didn't mention that my router/modem is a direct connection to one of the USB's on the computer. I didn't try switching that one to the other. And possibly buying a new Taiwanese Hub from a reliable Manufacturer.

I am rather busy to experiment at the moment and don't wish to cock up my Internet communications.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2008, 06:44:52 pm »
Power should be sufficient if it's externally powered, so please ignore my comments above.

Good luck in getting it working or finding a better hub.

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2008, 01:30:33 pm »
The question I also wanted to ask.

Has anybody else on here actually used one successfully and what make?