Author Topic: Vancouver 2010  (Read 19941 times)

Really Ancien

Re: Vancouver 2010
« Reply #50 on: 16 February, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »
Madness really, the world has been turned upside down, as conditions at Yad Moss, jewel of the North Pennines ski resorts just keep getting better, quite handy for Newcastle.
Yad Moss Ski Area | Snow Report

Damon.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 16 February, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »
The secondary commentator for the BBC for the snowboard cross has in stitches waiting for the next "WOW" to appear.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #52 on: 16 February, 2010, 11:02:12 pm »
WARGH! Jacobellis down! Zoe out! Zoe/Jacobellis ti-final!

Embarassing my shiny metal ass. ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #53 on: 17 February, 2010, 07:39:23 am »
Sliding ladies on trays was fast and noisy.  Luge has to be the maddest of the three. I wanna see where I'm going...

And aside: Chicks with guns calendar! http://www.boldbeautifulbiathlon.com/index.html  :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #54 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
Loved the luge again.

As for biathlon: Marie Dorin. Say no more!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #55 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:42:25 am »
I didn't think the lasses board-x was as exciting as the mens, too many mistakes and the best riders were just too good for the others to make it a good race.

What I liked about the board-x is that everyone seems to ahve a lot of fun. Ski racing is much more serious. I still prefer the long fast ski events though. Board-X is the only board event I'll watch. Since I don't snowboard any more and was never very good at it I find the trick stiff bores me, as does trick skiing and moguls.

So how did the curling go ?

Chris S

« Reply #56 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:45:05 am »
I felt sorry for the women on the board-x. The snow was so obviously slush following the rain, that with limited mass they couldn't get enough speed up to clear the bumps - that's why they kept clipping them with their boards and falling over.

Maybe they should have held the games somewhere... well, cold?

bikenerd

« Reply #57 on: 17 February, 2010, 09:15:42 am »
You chaps do know that there is an identical 4 cross mountain biking event, don't you?  Well, without the skis and snow but with bikes instead! :)
Here's a montage from the 2007 MTB world cup, which was at Fort William:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jInA5ueegEM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jInA5ueegEM&rel=1</a>

« Reply #58 on: 17 February, 2010, 09:18:27 am »
You chaps do know that there is an identical 4 cross mountain biking event, don't you?  Well, without the skis and snow but with bikes instead! :)
Here's a montage from the 2007 MTB world cup, which was at Fort William:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jInA5ueegEM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jInA5ueegEM&rel=1</a>
Didn't know that. I'm not into mountain bikes or mountain bike racing though. I am surprised I like the boarder-x to be honest. I totally forgot about Survivors last night because of it.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #59 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:42:10 pm »
Embarassing my shiny metal ass. ::-)

Did you watch the qualifying? It was painful... oh yeah, and they've now had to refund 20,000 standing-only tickets because the weather has made it too dangerous to stand... the snow, which was imported in the first place because there hasn't been enough, is not fit for any level of competition. And Whistler might have snow, but it isn't that much better: Lindsey Vonn is quoted today as saying it's the bumpiest downhill course she has ever skied.

I was talking to friends from Vancouver here, and they were just laughing at the idea that Vancouver should be hosting the winter Olympics - as anyone from the place will tell you, it just isn't cold enough - the weather this year wasn't that unpredictable.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
I'm not the only one who watched the ladies' biathlon and thought, "I say, Mrs Peel!" at their shooting stance, am I? O:-)
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Contact BOLD BEAUTIFUL BIATHLON - Support the Team l Make a donation today!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Really Ancien

« Reply #61 on: 17 February, 2010, 02:03:16 pm »
Nice to see that one of the team had her rifle paid for with donated pelts, that's very appropriate.
Biathlon News - 2010 Winter Olympics - CTV Olympics

Damon.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #62 on: 17 February, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »
Women's downhill, Chemmy Alcott had a good run, couple of falls, Mancuso played a blinder. Wheeeee!

« Reply #63 on: 17 February, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »
I got bored with the lasses downhill so I watched Olympic Memories on BBCi. Franz Klammer, Eddy the Eagle, John Curry, Torvil & Dean, USAv USSR Hockey, Rudman and those Jamaican Bobsleighers.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #64 on: 17 February, 2010, 10:39:53 pm »
Bah, you'll have missed the cross-country ski sprints - in which strapping folks get to thrash themselves into the embrace of Pukey the Clown for their glory and our lulz. :sick: :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #65 on: 17 February, 2010, 10:41:40 pm »
...folks get to thrash themselves into the embrace of Pukey the Clown for their glory and our lulz. :sick: :thumbsup:

Yewww... the very reason us emetophobes record this and the London Marathon and get them vetted first.

Edit: And any rowing events. Way too much vomit after the Boat Race for example  :sick:.

« Reply #66 on: 17 February, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
Bah, you'll have missed the cross-country ski sprints - in which strapping folks get to thrash themselves into the embrace of Pukey the Clown for their glory and our lulz. :sick: :thumbsup:

In one case, after wrapping themselves around a tree earlier in the heats.  :o

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Legs

« Reply #67 on: 19 February, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
This Super G course looks seriously hard!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #68 on: 20 February, 2010, 12:11:06 am »
Skelly now!

WHEE!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #69 on: 20 February, 2010, 01:49:58 am »
 :thumbsup: :-* :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #70 on: 20 February, 2010, 05:20:43 am »
Went to see Sweden vs Belarus (Icehockey) at lunchtime today, which was seriously good.
First time watching that level of hockey live and it's way better than on TV.
 I gonna see a few more pro games before the season is over!

« Reply #71 on: 20 February, 2010, 07:46:25 am »
Went to see Sweden vs Belarus (Icehockey) at lunchtime today, which was seriously good.
First time watching that level of hockey live and it's way better than on TV.
 I gonna see a few more pro games before the season is over!

NHL has loads of breaks for TV ads and clearing the snow from the crease. See some lower level games too, often seems more competitive and cheaper. NHL is known as The Show, at times it seems rehearsed because most players are so good.

When I was in Seattle I used to see WHL games, youngsters trying to be noticed to get a place in the big leagues.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #72 on: 20 February, 2010, 07:53:35 am »
Gold medal!

Skeleton looks terrifying - head first, and they're not totally in control - look at the way it skips and bounces coming out of corners, and sometimes goes a bit sideways - and that's the gold medal run!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #73 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:50:54 am »
Well done Amy.   :thumbsup:

In contrast to the sport, she seemed incredibly laid back when interviewed.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #74 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:52:27 am »
A gold medal winner in a downhill sport.

From Cambridge!

:thumbsup:
Getting there...