Author Topic: Robust Etrex GPS Mount (HOWTO)  (Read 31682 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Re: Robust Etrex GPS Mount (HOWTO)
« Reply #50 on: 12 March, 2010, 06:03:42 pm »
My experience - there is no need to file the underside of the mount. Simply cushion with some foam pipe lagging, and fix in place with a cable tie. I use an additional (Looser) cable tie as security in case the first breaks.

« Reply #51 on: 15 March, 2010, 09:58:07 am »
Ok. Job done. It looks excellent. A brilliant idea - many thanks!  ;D ;D

« Reply #52 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »
Remarkable speedy delivery on the RAM mounts from that BuyBits outfit - even on their standard delivery service.

Decided to equip all my bikes so ordered another 2 cradles yesterday morning, order despatched e-mail received within 5 minutes of the order confirmation e-mail !
Arrived 1st class recorded this morning. 

:thumbsup:

ant1606

« Reply #53 on: 30 March, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have a Vista HCx and tried the original Garmin handlebar mount. Very weak and I abandoned it after my first ride, too much vibration and shaking during MTB practice. I don't trust such a small screw connecting the mount to the battery cover, although I always keep tethering the unit to the handlebar with a safety lanyard. For some time I've been using the original Garmin case and connecting its belt clip to a self-made support on both my bicycles' and motorcycle's handlebars.
The plastic cover makes it at times difficult to read, plus I hate the unit to shake.

I've been considering to modify the battery cover by drilling and tapping extra holes to fasten a solid connecting plate, but I have instead made a case out of scrap which I attach everywhere with Velcro strap. All of my handlebars, backpacks and even car dashboards. Simple, easy to build for a cost of say $1. Very reliable under any condition and easy to get on and off. Photo herebelow shows my first prototype which I've now been testing for quite some time. I prepared nicer ones but the prototype is still good, so I'm testing it for longevity and it hasn't let me down after a year of intense use. Should it happen, I'll just replace the velcro.
If interested, please find the concept, details (including a cutout template) for case/mount and building description here:
http://ant1606-garmi...ta.blogspot.com

Ciao
Ant

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #55 on: 05 April, 2011, 02:47:18 pm »
Question:

Is there are reason *not* to use the beltclip/mount adapter screwhole in the back of the garmin units?

I'm thinking of a bit of threaded rod + a butterfly nut. Could pass through a plate that is fastened to the bike. Would be reasonably quick to undo. The plate could be 'vibration damped' and cable-tied down (ie, have some foam glued to side where it presses against bars).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #56 on: 05 April, 2011, 04:10:07 pm »
I suppose you might want to use that hole for it's intended purpose one day.  And spare/replacement battery cover plates are notoriously hard to obtain (the ones you can buy with the rail mounts don't fit).  I think drilling a pair of new holes as suggested above is a better idea, given that the battery cover isn't particularly waterproof anyway.

I've never really had any trouble with the standard Garmin mounting system, in over 6 years use x2 people - it doesn't inspire confidence but it's been OK. 
I wouldn't be seen dead with a RAM mount - what a total monstrosity!
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #57 on: 07 November, 2011, 11:41:08 am »
PDM,

Thanks for great instructions. Easy to follow and effective result. No eTrex jitter even when MTB or gravel-road riding.

£11.02 RAM bracket for eTrex Vista HCx (RAM-HOL-GA16U) from buybits.com (http://www.buybits.com/product/3753.aspx)

Now searching for best shock-damping foam to replace camping-mat foam (polyethylene foam) between bracket and bar. Sections of running-shoe sole (polyurethane foam) should be best for this application. Scavenging round piles of stinky old trainers for a suitable donor!

Cheers, u

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #58 on: 07 November, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »
Pipe insulation foam works well.

Also no need (IMO) to file indents in the bottom of the mount. Makes no difference for me.