Author Topic: Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?  (Read 2733 times)

Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?
« on: 25 March, 2021, 11:00:05 am »
Hi everyone

I am just getting back to cycling and looking to get fit after COVID due to gaining a few pounds :-)

I will be commuting 6 miles round trip daily in London and my budget is £200-500. I prefer a hybrid and like a comfortable ride, but don't mind a road bike with drop bars. Shall i .....

1) Buy a New bike that has warranty from decathlon, Halfords etc
2) Buy a used bike from gumtree ebay etc might be better quality parts etc from a name brand

I have found the following 2 bikes online

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/coyote/origin-hybrid-bike-933060

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ke-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html

Can someone give me some advice? Especially if i go down the used route, how to make sure i am not buying a stolen rusty bike as i am not an expert, maybe link me to checklist of what to look form when meeting up with the gumtree seller? Any brands, quality to look for etc

Hope someone can help

Cheers
londoncylist007

Re: Used or New - Not sure which bike to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2021, 11:59:06 am »
How handy are you at bike fettling ?

If you're competent (or able to learn quickly) that opens up the second hand market somewhat, because bikes that obviously need some work will be cheaper.

If you're able to change a chain and cassette, then that avoids the LBS cost of doing the same thing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2021, 12:00:58 pm »
As a general principle, I would be tempted to buy cheap second hand and regard the purchase as sacrificial/a learning experience.

This way you get to work out what you do and don't need/like on a bike, which makes your second purchase much better informed.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2021, 12:03:14 pm »
Further thoughts. If you're intending to commute on a daily basis, throughout the year, then mudguards are good.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2021, 05:57:45 pm »
Of those two, the Carrera is the better bike. The Coyote looks nasty and probably weighs a tonne (hi-tensile steel frame and pretty basic components). Halfords may not have the greatest reputation for bike service, but I'd also be wary of Evans these days, as they've been taken over by Mike Ashley.

However - no idea whether this is the case in London as I'm nowhere near, but round my way, Carreras seem to be thieves' number one favourite bikes to steal, and a shiny new one without a couple of very good locks wouldn't last long. For something for daily city use, I'd definitely lean towards used rather than new.

On the secondhand option: do you have a secondhand bike place/charity near you? I've no experience of London, but most cities have some sort of place that refurbishes donated bikes and sells them on. £200 would go much further second hand than it would new, and a bike from one of those places would have the benefit of having been serviced before sale.

FWIW, a few years ago I also commuted a ~6 mile round trip; I did it on an old Raleigh Pioneer I bought second hand for £20 and gradually replaced/upgraded bits as they wore out. Decent old early '90s Reynolds 501 steel frame, old but serviceable Shimano groupset, bombproof but unappealing to thieves. I eventually gave it away to my local bike charity because I no longer commute and needed the space, but it worked just fine.

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:01:21 pm »
I am not that handy with bike repairs, maybe change a tyre

How handy are you at bike fettling ?

If you're competent (or able to learn quickly) that opens up the second hand market somewhat, because bikes that obviously need some work will be cheaper.

If you're able to change a chain and cassette, then that avoids the LBS cost of doing the same thing.

« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:02:10 pm »
OK, so i think i will look for a used bike with mudguards etc

Further thoughts. If you're intending to commute on a daily basis, throughout the year, then mudguards are good.

« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:09:09 pm »
Hi, yes i have a used bike charity near me, but as your saying that they service a bike before selling that sounds like another option for me rather than going through gumtree etc. This would also avoid stolen bikes etc

I am at a quite basic level in terms of diy , so very much doubt could buy a used bike and upgrade parts etc...

I think my first port of call be be my local independent bike shop or a bike charity and tell them what i am looking for etc... but obviously with covid a lot of them do not accept walk in customers.... that is why i thought online might be  a better option.

Do you guys know any reliable online bike shop that sells used serviced commuting bikes that can deliver to me or i can pick up? This might be the best of both worlds...  independent shop that sells quality used bikes.?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Of those two, the Carrera is the better bike. The Coyote looks nasty and probably weighs a tonne (hi-tensile steel frame and pretty basic components). Halfords may not have the greatest reputation for bike service, but I'd also be wary of Evans these days, as they've been taken over by Mike Ashley.

However - no idea whether this is the case in London as I'm nowhere near, but round my way, Carreras seem to be thieves' number one favourite bikes to steal, and a shiny new one without a couple of very good locks wouldn't last long. For something for daily city use, I'd definitely lean towards used rather than new.

On the secondhand option: do you have a secondhand bike place/charity near you? I've no experience of London, but most cities have some sort of place that refurbishes donated bikes and sells them on. £200 would go much further second hand than it would new, and a bike from one of those places would have the benefit of having been serviced before sale.

FWIW, a few years ago I also commuted a ~6 mile round trip; I did it on an old Raleigh Pioneer I bought second hand for £20 and gradually replaced/upgraded bits as they wore out. Decent old early '90s Reynolds 501 steel frame, old but serviceable Shimano groupset, bombproof but unappealing to thieves. I eventually gave it away to my local bike charity because I no longer commute and needed the space, but it worked just fine.

« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:10:06 pm »
Thanks for everyone that replied and helped so far.

« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:11:07 pm »
The Bike Project sells secondhand bikes (as well as doing Good Things with the ones they don't sell).
https://thebikeproject.co.uk/collections/bikes?page=2&sort_by=price-ascending

Assuming you can get in and have a look/feel of what they've got, that might be an efficient way of forming opinions about different styles of bike and how they might suit you. The challenge with secondhand purchases is you don't get the option of "I'll take that one, but in a size medium", but if you're Average Bloke Size then that's less of an issue.

I think I spotted on their website that they do delivery.

« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:26:43 pm »
I found this website, they do delivery as well but not sure if these are suitable for commuting?

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ready-to-go-builds#/pageSize=32&orderBy=10&pageNumber=1

The Bike Project sells secondhand bikes (as well as doing Good Things with the ones they don't sell).

Assuming you can get in and have a look/feel of what they've got, that might be an efficient way of forming opinions about different styles of bike and how they might suit you. The challenge with secondhand purchases is you don't get the option of "I'll take that one, but in a size medium", but if you're Average Bloke Size then that's less of an issue.

HectoJ

• 45 to go
« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:59:21 pm »
In my experience, even a new bicycle needs some work eventually, usually after a few 100 kms from new (small adjustments as everything gets bedded-in, your LBS may offer this for free, or maybe not). So maybe try to learn some skills already?

Park Tool offer some great videos on Youtube for most common adjustments / repairs: https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany

MfG,
Hector

« Reply #12 on: 25 March, 2021, 09:05:32 pm »
In my experience, even a new bicycle needs some work eventually, usually after a few 100 kms from new (small adjustments as everything gets bedded-in, your LBS may offer this for free, or maybe not). So maybe try to learn some skills already?

Park Tool offers some great videos on Youtube for most common adjustments / repairs: https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany

MfG,
Hector

cheers, i will check it out

« Reply #13 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:21:36 am »
Take a look in the 'member bikes, thread in the gallery section on here to see what I just got for sub £600.  Get on fakebook market place and start putting in silly cheap bids on nearly new bikes and kit.

Its good fun - and you will get a complete bargain within a few days at your price point.  Just ask the sellers loads of question and you normally get a good feel of why they are selling and what state the bikes in.  The expensive bikes go quick but there are loads of great RRP £700-£1200 bikes that you can pick up for £200-£500 nearly brand new.

If you are buying new I would recommend getting a single speed - I paid £300 for my charge plug from wiggle 6 years ago and its given me thousands of miles of communing fun without a single repair ....although I did spend another £250 on hand built wheels.  Single speed is a great way to get back into cycling and fettling if you live somewhere flat (like London)

« Reply #14 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:26:12 am »
I found this website, they do delivery as well but not sure if these are suitable for commuting?

https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/ready-to-go-builds#/pageSize=32&orderBy=10&pageNumber=1

Well, they're single speed/fixed gear - low maintenance, and many people like them for commuting for this reason. Not sure they take mudguards, though - as hatler mentioned upthread, these are really useful to have on a commuter. The bikes on your link look pretty low-spec - again, hi-tensile steel frames, budget parts, more style than substance IMHO. If SS/fixed is the route you want to go down, something like a secondhand Genesis Flyer would be a good bet (I sold mine several years ago for less than your budget, though I'm aware Covid has pushed used bike prices up since then).

« Reply #15 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:31:14 pm »
Take a look in the 'member bikes, thread in the gallery section on here to see what I just got for sub £600.  Get on fakebook market place and start putting in silly cheap bids on nearly new bikes and kit.

Its good fun - and you will get a complete bargain within a few days at your price point.  Just ask the sellers loads of question and you normally get a good feel of why they are selling and what state the bikes in.  The expensive bikes go quick but there are loads of great RRP £700-£1200 bikes that you can pick up for £200-£500 nearly brand new.

If you are buying new I would recommend getting a single speed - I paid £300 for my charge plug from wiggle 6 years ago and its given me thousands of miles of communing fun without a single repair ....although I did spend another £250 on hand built wheels.  Single speed is a great way to get back into cycling and fettling if you live somewhere flat (like London)

I will look at Facebook marketplace, I am still quite new to bikes and will keep in mind to look out for single speed bikes for their simplicity as i will be mainly commuting and reliability is important to me.

Thanks

« Reply #16 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:34:00 pm »

Well, they're single speed/fixed gear - low maintenance, and many people like them for commuting for this reason. Not sure they take mudguards, though - as hatler mentioned upthread, these are really useful to have on a commuter. The bikes on your link look pretty low-spec - again, hi-tensile steel frames, budget parts, more style than substance IMHO. If SS/fixed is the route you want to go down, something like a secondhand Genesis Flyer would be a good bet (I sold mine several years ago for less than your budget, though I'm aware Covid has pushed used bike prices up since then).

If single speed is going to be harder to fix mudguards etc, i think i will stick with road/hybrid bikes.

I am going to look for lighter bikes alloy/carbon frames with better quality components.

Thanks

« Reply #17 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:34:54 pm »
Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply and give advice.

This forum is great!

:-)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #18 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:26:01 pm »

While genuine bargains are to be had, the minimum price approach raises concerns in my head. (No offense intended to TREJ or any poster in member bikes here)
Buying an as new product for 50% or even less of its "retail" value screams out stolen IMO (I don't know about motor cars so don't criticise me)

None of us want our cycles to become ever more desirable to thieves.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 26 March, 2021, 10:35:28 pm »
Where are you in London? 

If you look at facebook marketplace etc, you've got to worry about buying a stolen bike. 

Of the bikes you posted, I'd skip both Evans and Halfords and go to Decathlon, as they do the best bikes in your price range.  It'll be new, it won't go wrong for a while and you won't get better value anywhere else. 

Mudguards are nice but you can fit basic mudguards (e.g. the SKS Raceblade) even to bikes that don't usually take them.  They aren't quite as good as full muguards but you've got six months of good weather ahead of you before you have to worry about that  ;D

« Reply #20 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:20:48 pm »

While genuine bargains are to be had, the minimum price approach raises concerns in my head. (No offense intended to TREJ or any poster in member bikes here)
Buying an as new product for 50% or even less of its "retail" value screams out stolen IMO (I don't know about motor cars so don't criticise me)

None of us want our cycles to become ever more desirable to thieves.

I think i will go for a lighter weight alloy/carbon road bike with better quality components at a local used bike shop.

« Reply #21 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
Where are you in London? 

If you look at facebook marketplace etc, you've got to worry about buying a stolen bike. 

Of the bikes you posted, I'd skip both Evans and Halfords and go to Decathlon, as they do the best bikes in your price range.  It'll be new, it won't go wrong for a while and you won't get better value anywhere else. 

Mudguards are nice but you can fit basic mudguards (e.g. the SKS Raceblade) even to bikes that don't usually take them.  They aren't quite as good as full muguards but you've got six months of good weather ahead of you before you have to worry about that  ;D

I am in east london, and feel the best thing for is is buy a used serviced bike from LBS. Cheers

« Reply #22 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:35:43 pm »
Where are you in London? 

Wow you guys are very knowledgeable!

Yeah i think i am going to stick to a alloy hybrid with mudguards and flat handle and thicker tyres, hopefully this will not weigh too much as i need to go up a flight of stairs!

The dutch bikes that have these mudguards chainguard etc are like the santander hire bikes in London, i don't really like the design of these bikes as they seem to me bikes that old women have!

I am looking for a more a more modern looking bike, something like the following:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-road-bike/rp-prod165484

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/adventure-bikes/voodoo-limba-mens-adventure-bike---52-54.5-57cm-frames-445554.html

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2-mens-hybrid-bike-2020---black---s-m-l-xl-frames-346198.html

Which one of these bikes are good do you think? Even one where i could add parts like mudguards easily etc?

Let me know

Cheers

« Reply #23 on: 27 March, 2021, 02:25:01 pm »
Of those three I think I'd go for the CR option. However, if you want mudguards you'd either have to figure that out for yourself, or ask your local bike shop to supply and fit these for you. And if you're doing that you ought to ask them to ensure that the bike has been assembled correctly.

Establishing a relationship with your LBS is always a good thing.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24 on: 27 March, 2021, 04:17:03 pm »
Of those three I think I'd go for the CR option. However, if you want mudguards you'd either have to figure that out for yourself, or ask your local bike shop to supply and fit these for you. And if you're doing that you ought to ask them to ensure that the bike has been assembled correctly.

Establishing a relationship with your LBS is always a good thing.

Cheers