Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250353 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #500 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:11:27 am »
A 670TSS week just in Zwift. I am 'king glad that's over.

and 726TSS this week... rest week due :)

« Reply #501 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:44:45 am »
Should have been a 600+ week but the need to do funeral eulogy for tomorrow and probate form and send keys to council means no long ride today.

Should be back next week.

« Reply #502 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
I've joined the gym.

Already doing wonders. It's appalling how much difference an audience makes.

Quote from: fboab
sorry, but you'll probably want to move your jacket. This sweat is getting everywhere  :-[

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #503 on: 19 February, 2017, 12:55:56 pm »
Only managed two one hour interval sessions on hotel gym bikes in the last fortnight. Most days I was thwarted by rubbish gyms, gyms that didn't open until after I had to leave, or pollution so bad I daren't breath too hard. Still, my broken rib is now healed sufficiently that I'll risk a few commutes next week.

rob

« Reply #504 on: 19 February, 2017, 07:28:14 pm »
Week off work with a bit of rest, a few 2hr rides, a bit of country walking and a bit too much food.   Topped off by a visit to the London Bike Show today wher Graeme Obree signed my copy of Flying Scotsman.  Lovely guy and they only gave him a 40 minute Q&A slot.

8 weeks of hard work now through to Easter.

simonp

« Reply #505 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:58:56 am »
I need to get my training back on track.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #506 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »
i've heard the advice before, but forgot now. what is the recommendation with the sessions if also doing the (quite) intense rides outside too, which leave me too tired to complete the intervals? skip, move forward, reduce intensity?

rob

« Reply #507 on: 20 February, 2017, 03:33:51 pm »
i've heard the advice before, but forgot now. what is the recommendation with the sessions if also doing the (quite) intense rides outside too, which leave me too tired to complete the intervals? skip, move forward, reduce intensity?

I was told to always complete the session(s) but reduce the intensity if you feel like you can't get to the end.

« Reply #508 on: 20 February, 2017, 04:18:17 pm »
The recent update to Zwift lets you adjust the workout on the fly by tweaking your FTP in increments up to +/- 10% via the mobile app.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #509 on: 21 February, 2017, 07:31:11 pm »
The recent update to Zwift lets you adjust the workout on the fly by tweaking your FTP in increments up to +/- 10% via the mobile app.

i've reduced the intensity on trainer road too for the last interval (ftp stays the same, only the level of required power goes +/-), will likely do that today right from the start, ha ha (it's hard work!..)

« Reply #510 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:12:49 pm »
First good session in a while with all that has been going on.  Feel like my mojo is back!!

simonp

« Reply #511 on: 22 February, 2017, 04:11:05 pm »
After having a wisdom tooth that's been giving me trouble for months removed yesterday, I'm hoping that I can start training properly again. I had been finding that even light exercise was becoming difficult.

Will hopefully try a gentle session tomorrow.

rob

« Reply #512 on: 24 February, 2017, 10:52:36 am »
2 turbo sessions this week designed to build 'top end'.   Neither of which were as bad as I thought they would be but pretty intense, nonetheless.   4hr tempo road ride on the TT bike tomorrow.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #513 on: 25 February, 2017, 08:52:34 pm »
Didn't do any commutes last week, just a couple of easy turbo sessions so today's level 3 track accreditation session was my first time actual riding since crashing mid December. On the first drill the guy in front of me was a bit twitchy which made me nervous but after that it was all good. First TT next Saturday but after all this missed time it'll be very much a training ride.

simonp

« Reply #514 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:00:15 pm »
Finally back training. Feels like I've lost a lot. Rowing session on the water this morning then 3x10m sweet spot on the KickR this evening which felt like quite hard work.

Should be on 42 mile steady club ride tomorrow which will help get me back into things.

rob

« Reply #515 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:29:22 pm »
2 turbo sessions this week designed to build 'top end'.   Neither of which were as bad as I thought they would be but pretty intense, nonetheless.   4hr tempo road ride on the TT bike tomorrow.

First 2hrs were OK, but then couldn't keep HR in zone with a steady downward drift.

Not really tired, hydrated OK and took on enough carbs so not sure what's causing this.   Seems to happen more often now I'm a bit lighter particularly on cold and windy days.   Completed the hours but felt rough.

Only the first week of this block.   Trip out for dinner for a morale boost.

dim

« Reply #516 on: 25 February, 2017, 09:58:15 pm »
Hoping to do well on my first proper ride since Christams eve

all was going to plan, and I entered the Rapha 500 Strava chalenge which started on the 24th of December..... decided to knock up a century, and done 100km ride .... half the way in heavy headwind. Was feeling a bit rough after 80km, but pushed myself and blamed it on the wind..... done OK with a good ave speed

and woke up the following day (Christmas day) with a bad cold that turned into Bronchitis 2 days later

So I've been taking things a bit easier since then and am fully recovered (I still managed to clock up 664km in January, with a total of 3318 meters of climbing, and for Feb so far, I've managed to ride 857 km with 4722 meters of climbing

prior to that, for several months in a row, I always completed the Strava distance challenge aswell as the Gran Fondo's

tomorow will be my first longish ride in a while .... I will be riding just over 100km from Great Shelford Cambridge, heading South  through  Thunbridge, then back through Elmdon and Duxford with just over 700 meters of climbing .... a very good route (my favourite 100km ride and designed by me using Strava heatmaps) ... on very quiet good roads:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/17957901

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #517 on: 25 February, 2017, 10:26:35 pm »
Felt back in the "zone" of training this week. HR reached levels not seen since my accident 6 months ago which is interesting.

simonp

« Reply #518 on: 26 February, 2017, 03:39:55 pm »
Well that was hard work. Don't think it's base training when your HR reaches 193.

« Reply #519 on: 26 February, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »
193!!! 176 is best I can manage.

« Reply #520 on: 26 February, 2017, 10:30:37 pm »
TT bike is now sufficiently built and on a turbo. Lots of working in position ahead. yay.

simonp

« Reply #521 on: 26 February, 2017, 11:33:33 pm »

220-my age would predict 175. Max I've ever seen was 195. 194 twice last year.

Training at high intensity is suggested to slow decline of HRmax with age.

rob

« Reply #522 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:25:27 am »

220-my age would predict 175. Max I've ever seen was 195. 194 twice last year.

Training at high intensity is suggested to slow decline of HRmax with age.

I think the 220-age thing can be way off.   In my first ramp test I hit 205 and I was 40 at the time.

I haven't been near that since but can get to mid 180s on the turbo.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #523 on: 27 February, 2017, 09:46:33 am »
TT bike is now sufficiently built and on a turbo. Lots of working in position ahead. yay.

Mine too. Seems my shoulders are about twice as wide as the aerobars were built for. And that's with width extenders!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #524 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:11:12 am »
did not manage to complete the workout today due to overheating (forgot to turn the radiator off last night and was getting dizzy at 160bpm). this is the toughest week of the block before the recovery week after which a re-test of ftp.