Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250210 times)

rob

Re: Base training
« Reply #775 on: 24 December, 2017, 08:47:57 am »
LAst week was rubbish, so 9.5 mile run yesterday and outdoor ride today. Biggest issue is time - how do you find time for a  5 hour outdoor ride?

Yesterday I was on the road at 6:45.   I was showered and ready for lunch with the family by 12.

It helps that A & J parkrun on a Saturday so everything works quite well.

« Reply #776 on: 24 December, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
Ah. I had a job to do at 7.45 this morning, so have been out for just over 2 hours starting at 11:00. Bit wild and woolly and wet, but nice to be out after the last couple of weeks. Plus it felt like cycles the wrong way around the calm at the center of a depression!

« Reply #777 on: 24 December, 2017, 03:46:18 pm »
53.6km this morning and a 10km walk.  Means only 444.4 km for the Rapha challenge.  Nothing tomorrow and then 80 on boxing day followed by commuting on wed and Friday with a quick ride on Thursday before the office should leave me with about 200 to do on saturday and Sunday combined.  Probably 2 x 100 to have time with my wife.

« Reply #778 on: 24 December, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »
Your ride this morning looked pretty good Chris. Not a shabby pace at all.

« Reply #779 on: 24 December, 2017, 06:21:42 pm »
Thanks Mike.  i was quite pleased with it.  HR was reasonably low.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #780 on: 24 December, 2017, 07:27:29 pm »
Another good session with Sufferfest today, this was only going to be a replacement for road rides until my broken collarbone is back up to full strength but I may not go back to TrainerRoad until my free 10 weeks of Sufferfest run out.

I did a 2x20' which I have never done before, for long Intervals i usually do 4x15' and 5x10' TR sessions at the weekend.

« Reply #781 on: 28 December, 2017, 11:10:19 pm »
Just completed TrainerRoad, Ericsson. feels good to be back at it after some time away - even held with my previous FTP, though it was tough & i’ll Have to drop it for more challenging sessions...

« Reply #782 on: 29 December, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »
First FTP test on a Watt bike at the gym.  223W @ 69 kg.  I've not done much riding recently, so I'm hoping that with some training I can get this up over 250W (and lose 2 or 3 kg of fat) by Easter whilst also increasing my distance (hoping for a 300 in March). 

« Reply #783 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:03:47 pm »
I was planning to do a proper FTP test today, using the P1 pedals I picked up yesterday (almost new, eBay purchase but local to me). But yesterday was Sunday, so I missed the bike shops (I need road shoes now), and the LBSs that I would use are closed today. It seems that Sports Direct sells road bike shoes, but the only sort they have in stock is some horrible plastic Muddy Fox shoe that I wouldn't want to wear.
I can get shoes tomorrow morning, but I won't be able to ride until Wednesday morning. Most frustrating...

simonp

« Reply #784 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:20:35 pm »
It will be interesting to see how it compares with virtual power when you get them.

I finished Sweet Spot Base Mid Volume I yesterday, with only a few missed workouts, I did train on 24th and 26th to make that happen. So onto Mid Volume II starting tomorrow with the 8m test.

235W - 240W range anticipated for FTP.

Chris S

« Reply #785 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:16:05 pm »
I've switched to low volume - mid-volume didn't really give me enough recovery time.

« Reply #786 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:50:18 pm »
I was planning to do a proper FTP test today, using the P1 pedals I picked up yesterday (almost new, eBay purchase but local to me). But yesterday was Sunday, so I missed the bike shops (I need road shoes now), and the LBSs that I would use are closed today. It seems that Sports Direct sells road bike shoes, but the only sort they have in stock is some horrible plastic Muddy Fox shoe that I wouldn't want to wear.
I can get shoes tomorrow morning, but I won't be able to ride until Wednesday morning. Most frustrating...

Do you have a turbo trainer?

I thought FTP test was best done off the road to avoid any other variables.

« Reply #787 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:55:36 pm »

Do you have a turbo trainer?

I thought FTP test was best done off the road to avoid any other variables.
Yes, I've got a turbo - I've been using "Virtual Power" with Trainer Road since September. But since I got the puncture on the turbo a few weeks ago I've been wondering how reliably I can recreate the settings taking the bike on and off the trainer. The power meter should sort that out, and also mean I can ride with power on the road as well...

« Reply #788 on: 02 January, 2018, 06:49:14 am »
Someone I see on strava uses power meter and TrainerRoad. He did 32.5mph @ 185watts. That can’t be right?

« Reply #789 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:41:16 am »
Someone I see on strava uses power meter and TrainerRoad. He did 32.5mph @ 185watts. That can’t be right?
Sounds like the turbo is on a low resistance setting (mine has 10 settings) and the bike is in a huge gear.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #790 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:20:16 am »
..or using trainerroad with rollers

simonp

« Reply #791 on: 02 January, 2018, 10:40:20 am »

Erg mode on a smart trainer will do that. The speed of the flywheel is determined by gear and cadence and not by power. Hence apparently fast rides if you select a high gear.

simonp

« Reply #792 on: 02 January, 2018, 08:50:46 pm »
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/8458911-8-minute-ftp-test

237W +3W in just under 3 weeks over Christmas period.

Max HR 193.  :sick:

« Reply #793 on: 02 January, 2018, 09:48:06 pm »
Ouch! Still, +3W in 3 weeks is good going. :)

I installed my P1 pedals, mounted the cleats on my new shoes, but I can't click into the pedals. I've not used road pedals before - is there a trick, or are the cleats (Look alike) and the pedals not matched (I think it's the latter)?
This palaver will definitely mean I start my next plan a whole week later (and after 2 weeks off the bike) :(

« Reply #795 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:48:04 am »
P1 pedals need powertap cleats.
I thought so. I messaged the seller and he mixed up the cleats - has a set of Powertaps he will swap for the ones he gave me.
According to DC Rainmaker, Look Keo cleats work with P1s until they are worn, and then they pop out. these aren't worn, but they look different, maybe they are a different sort of Look cleat. You can see the different cleats for Vector  3, Assioma and P1 here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html

rob

« Reply #796 on: 03 January, 2018, 02:01:56 pm »
P1 pedals need powertap cleats.
I thought so. I messaged the seller and he mixed up the cleats - has a set of Powertaps he will swap for the ones he gave me.
According to DC Rainmaker, Look Keo cleats work with P1s until they are worn, and then they pop out. these aren't worn, but they look different, maybe they are a different sort of Look cleat. You can see the different cleats for Vector  3, Assioma and P1 here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/power-meter-pedal-shootout-vector-3-vs-powertap-p1-vs-assioma.html

I didn't buy any in the end, but when I chatted to Matt at Cycle Power Meters he said that P1s use Wellgo cleats.   

« Reply #797 on: 04 January, 2018, 09:15:04 am »
I met up with the vendor and swapped the cleats for the powertap ones.  They are a bit battered, but they work. :) The cleats he originally gave me were slightly longer than the P1 ones - I've no idea what they came off.
At some point I'll have to get some more, but I can ride my bike with power now. :) I'll be back on here in a few days bemoaning my lack of power! ;)

LMT

« Reply #798 on: 04 January, 2018, 01:56:40 pm »

Erg mode on a smart trainer will do that. The speed of the flywheel is determined by gear and cadence and not by power. Hence apparently fast rides if you select a high gear.

Really? I'll give that a go tonight, currently using Zwift on a Tacx Neo. I thought Zwift took your power reading, converted it to watts per kilo and calculated your speed off the back of this?

Anyways, can recommend Zwift and a Tacx Neo if people are looking for a good (for indoors) cycling experience as you can get. :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #799 on: 04 January, 2018, 02:06:30 pm »

Really? I'll give that a go tonight, currently using Zwift on a Tacx Neo. I thought Zwift took your power reading, converted it to watts per kilo and calculated your speed off the back of this?

Anyways, can recommend Zwift and a Tacx Neo if people are looking for a good (for indoors) cycling experience as you can get. :thumbsup:

Indeed I believe that Zwift does convert power to speed, so this won't work for you, sadly.