Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250244 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1725 on: 22 November, 2019, 12:37:39 pm »
I went on the turbo last night - first time since mid Sep.   Wasn't fun.

Well done! I'm thinking about dusting mine down. Its been idle since mid July.

Phil W

« Reply #1726 on: 22 November, 2019, 04:59:04 pm »
Mines been idle over summer. I plan to get back on the turbo in the next week or so.  First few weeks will just be getting used to turbo efforts again. I'll start the proper structured stuff after Christmas.

rob

« Reply #1727 on: 23 November, 2019, 08:17:19 pm »
Mines been idle over summer. I plan to get back on the turbo in the next week or so.  First few weeks will just be getting used to turbo efforts again. I'll start the proper structured stuff after Christmas.

Similar here.  Coaching starts again first week of Jan.  I find a few sharpeners help.  A 6hr road ride in the hills today was a bit of a stretch.

« Reply #1728 on: 24 November, 2019, 12:32:40 pm »
I'm just doing Traditional Base 1, because I'm getting abdominal pain when doing high intensity efforts (and I'm waiting for a scan on a suspected hernia).

Bummer. Hope it's OK!

« Reply #1729 on: 24 November, 2019, 12:44:41 pm »
Tonight’s plan was Jepson. But I fancied more of a challenge so did Prater and added 30m on with some endurance. Passed the test. If my FTP is set too high Prater will let me know.  :thumbsup:

Agree. Over/unders are what I use to gauge whether my number is "right".

Point in case, started SSB MV1 a few weeks back and Reinstein felt a bit too hard so bumped FTP down by 10w, which I think will work better. I expected to do this, as I tend to manage OK with the Ramp Test's VO2max stage plus I'd been doing HIIT work in the weeks prior to the test, so was really on form for top end work, leading to a high number.

For all the limitations of TR's one-dimensional ramp test, it's still useful to me as a gauge due to its practicality and "doability", and thus much more preferable for me than, say, Sufferfest's 4DP method, which I'm never ever ever willingly going to put myself through unless someone pays me very large truckfuls of cash, and even then...

« Reply #1730 on: 27 November, 2019, 06:16:25 am »
Finally got back on the turbo.  Did ramp test.  Wasn't great , down 15% to about what it was this time last year.  Wasn't surprising as I've done very little since end of July (other than eat!).

I expect to see it go back up as I get into things.  Will probably test again in 2-3 weeks. 

It is helpful having last year's trainerroad history as a benchmark to track

simonp

« Reply #1731 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:52:20 am »
 :thumbsup:

The ability to directly compare matching seasons is great. It’s useful also when getting older and having PRs from 2012 that will be near on impossible to match. Knowing you’re ahead of 12 and 24 months ago is great.

rob

« Reply #1732 on: 27 November, 2019, 10:20:35 am »
Finally got back on the turbo.  Did ramp test.  Wasn't great , down 15% to about what it was this time last year.  Wasn't surprising as I've done very little since end of July (other than eat!).

I expect to see it go back up as I get into things.  Will probably test again in 2-3 weeks. 

It is helpful having last year's trainerroad history as a benchmark to track

My experience of getting back on the turbo last Winter and last week is that there is a pretty big leap between your first and second sessions back.   I don't do power but the speed for heart rate in the session I did last night vs last Thursday was a big leap.

It's almost like you need a hard session to clear the tubes after sitting around and eating cake for a few months.   Not very scientific I know.

simonp

« Reply #1733 on: 27 November, 2019, 10:58:08 am »
My experience of getting back on the turbo last Winter and last week is that there is a pretty big leap between your first and second sessions back.   I don't do power but the speed for heart rate in the session I did last night vs last Thursday was a big leap.

It's almost like you need a hard session to clear the tubes after sitting around and eating cake for a few months.   Not very scientific I know.

Plasma volume is the most likely culprit. It comes back quickly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3944049

I had a 5% drop in my ramp test score from just two weeks off. It fits with these results.

« Reply #1734 on: 28 November, 2019, 06:15:14 am »
Interesting.

Looking at my last ramp test back in April vs this one, my heart rate reached its maximum at c.50W lower power.  In April, when I was at this week's max power, my HR was about 20 beats lower, or 12%.  Ties in well with your experiences and the article. 

Won't do turbo today as I'm doing 100km this evening - longest mid-week ride for a while.  Going to see Graeme Obree speak and couldn't imagine not riding out for that!

Phil W

« Reply #1735 on: 01 December, 2019, 10:36:07 am »
Turbo dusted down. Wife is on it right now. She has some ligament damage in ankle from running. So it is just used as a non impact way of getting some motion in the ankle. Turbo set 0% slope, not designed as a hard session.

I'm off on a ride today so will probably get back on turbo tomorrow to reintroduce myself to it, and build up to something structured from Jan.

The turbo is the self powered Tacx Bushido Smart. So it get used on the patio. It's great this time of year as the outside temperature is perfect for working hard.

simonp

« Reply #1736 on: 01 December, 2019, 10:58:40 am »
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/sproven/rides/67369203-mary-austin-1

This was my highest 1h30 effort this year (and matches the best average for 1h this year). Progress is happening. It was tough. Lots of supportive/nagging messages in the text.

Next weekend on Saturday is Leconte. I have not completed that one 100% on target in two attempts. FTP was set higher but it was on the KickR seemed to over-read by 15-20W so I may have been in a similar ball-park. However, completing this one on-target should give me confidence.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1737 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:23:46 pm »
for trainerroad peeps - a new custom training plan builder beta feature rolled out; more info on tr forum

been playing around with various scenarios - looks like a v.useful feature :thumbsup:

« Reply #1738 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:32:10 pm »
Yeah, it's awesome.  You need to know when your target events are if you really want to make use of it, and loads of mine haven't been confirmed yet...

simonp

« Reply #1739 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:35:06 pm »
for trainerroad peeps - a new custom training plan builder beta feature rolled out; more info on tr forum

been playing around with various scenarios - looks like a v.useful feature :thumbsup:

Woo. I was pretty sure they were working on something like this. Hints have been dropped.

simonp

« Reply #1740 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:35:31 pm »
Tonight I did Lamarck. Best 45-minute power in over 2 years, and I could've done more.

simonp

« Reply #1741 on: 07 December, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »
Leconte. Never completed this 100% on target. Until now.

One more workout then recovery for a few days.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1742 on: 07 December, 2019, 11:43:45 pm »
you're on a roll! i'm thinking how to include the festive500 into my plan, i felt quite fatigued every time i've done it.

simonp

« Reply #1743 on: 08 December, 2019, 12:00:55 am »
you're on a roll! i'm thinking how to include the festive500 into my plan, i felt quite fatigued every time i've done it.

I’m not doing that! Hoping to train right through Christmas week to keep the momentum.

simonp

« Reply #1744 on: 08 December, 2019, 05:14:28 pm »
Well I made it to the end of week 5 intact - with Wright Peak -1. This is hard to follow on from Leconte. Highest 2h power I've averaged for 3 years+.

simonp

« Reply #1745 on: 14 December, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »
So I gave Disaster, full version, a go today. I was a bit worried by how hard the threshold intervals felt but got through the endurance and vo2max nonetheless. It fell apart a bit during the fireworks - really tough and after completing three of the sprints I decided to skip the rest of them. It was still very hard - ran out of energy.

This week has not been ideal for sleep which probably hasn't helped. Probably the weakness to address is musclar endurance.

Chris S

« Reply #1746 on: 14 December, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »
Some winter 100s should sort that  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1747 on: 14 December, 2019, 07:13:01 pm »
Some winter 100s should sort that  :thumbsup:

Sustained power build mid volume followed by more sweet spot base.

This workout was an all time PB for all durations between 2h35 and 4h15. Added 10W to by best 4h average. Previous best was non stopping 100k earlier this year. This workout was much harder.

« Reply #1748 on: 15 December, 2019, 11:28:23 am »
Disaster is absolutely brutal - well done for getting as far as you did. Did you eat enough during the ride? Maybe that was what killed the sprints?
I failed to complete Gibbs (a 2 hour endurance ride) on Friday - couldn't really understand why at the time, but have been feeling spectacularly crap all weekend. I guess that explains it. :(

simonp

« Reply #1749 on: 15 December, 2019, 11:41:14 am »
Disaster is absolutely brutal - well done for getting as far as you did. Did you eat enough during the ride? Maybe that was what killed the sprints?
I failed to complete Gibbs (a 2 hour endurance ride) on Friday - couldn't really understand why at the time, but have been feeling spectacularly crap all weekend. I guess that explains it. :(

You're probably coming down with a cold.

My disaster workout here: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/sproven/rides/68345926-disaster - I got all the way to the end, by skipping the sprints I mean I back-pedalled through them. Others turned down the intensity. Even with missing out all but three of the sprints I was close to failure on the sweet-spot work. After that even 40% felt like hard work!

I took on 1200 calories during the ride, 80g of carbs per hour, in the form of Maurten 320 drink. This is close to the maximum (90g/hour) that can be absorbed by the gut. Eating more would have more likely caused a stomach upset than help. I'd eaten a large bowl of porridge beforehand, with fruit and yoghurt.