Author Topic: UCI World Road Champs  (Read 5262 times)

Re: UCI World Road Champs
« Reply #25 on: 27 September, 2014, 08:31:19 pm »
I thought armistead looked the strongest of the four who were away. I was really surprised they started looking at each other and let the chasing group come back.  Even once that happened I was a bit surprised armistead got into a bad position.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26 on: 27 September, 2014, 08:33:34 pm »
Yep, exactly. Those four had the race in their hands and they threw it away. I couldn't believe it when Lizzie slowed then looked in vain for a wheel as the chasing group caught them. She was like a rabbit in the headlights. Well done to the French girl, but she was gifted the win.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:31:59 am »
I doubt there are any
standard strategies
for winning a bunch sprint after being caught in the last k.

That crash was the worst-looking I've ever seen. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear any updates on the DNFs.

Oh, and it was worth watching for that moment when the Frenchie got her good news. Fantastic genuine emotion poured out on camera. :-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:58:56 am »

That crash was the worst-looking I've ever seen. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear any updates on the DNFs.

Grim stuff, there were a couple of dozen abandons after the crash, including the entire Canadian team (one with a broken hip). I haven't seen news on the Belgian rider who also looked to have done her hip on the footage.

Always easy to say from the comfort of a sofa, but armistead and the 3 in the break did throw away a great opportunity. Shame. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

TimC

« Reply #29 on: 28 September, 2014, 01:26:18 pm »
The crash was horrible, undoubtedly - and all from a single wheel touch.

Lizzie said afterwards that the race was 'too easy'. I think she meant that no-one wanted to take it on, and that negativity permeated the whole race. At the end, it wasn't that the chase group worked so well that the leading four were inevitably overtaken, it was that the leading four were equally reluctant to lead, and the impasse took priority over riding the bloody race! They simply forgot that the chasing group weren't similarly shy and were going to take any advantage they could get - and they did. By that measure, none of those four deserved a place.

The men's race is shaping up as similarly negative and safe. 37kmh average? The Poles 'doing all the work', but at that speed it's hardly working (for the value of working appropriate to these guys!).  And they don't have anyone in the break which is around 6 minutes up. Yes, the break will be caught, but I hope someone decides to turn this into a race and not a procession.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 28 September, 2014, 02:06:10 pm »
The mens race always runs like that because it is a very long race- well intot he mid 200s km. It will speed up.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #31 on: 28 September, 2014, 05:07:03 pm »
The Poles got it right. Gratulacje!
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #32 on: 28 September, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »
It wasn't only the riders crashing. Hope they're all OK.

Working my way up to inferior.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 28 September, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »
Always nice to see someone win from an audacious move.(and he looked satisfyingly f**ked as he crossed the line  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #34 on: 28 September, 2014, 06:26:34 pm »

Yep, they did. That last lap was excellent - and Kwackers well deserved that win.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #35 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:07:01 pm »
The Norwegians look a bit out of shape.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #36 on: 28 September, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »
Kwiatkowski was 18/1 at bet365 so I'm now £180 better off  :)
2 bets placed this year, 2 wins & £270 taken from the bookies  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #37 on: 28 September, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
Well done Fungus.

Some on-bike footage of the crash in the Women's race.  Go straight to to 55s for the tumbling/road sliding. http://uci.ch/videos/board-cameras-the-uci-road-world-championships/

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #38 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:26:54 pm »
Can't see the point of the spoiler tags, by the way.

Really?  I'd have thought the big clue was in the name of the tag.

A spoiler tag give the reader a choice.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.