Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186362 times)

fuzzy

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #75 on: 20 February, 2015, 08:41:09 am »
I always remember 'Commando'. My nan used to have loads of them around the house for my brother and I to feast our eyes and imagination on.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #76 on: 20 February, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »
I always remember 'Commando'. My nan used to have loads of them around the house for my brother and I to feast our eyes and imagination on.

Twice a year we would drive from the south of England up to Cumbria to see my grandma.  I was allowed Commando comics to keep me entertained on the journey.

Thinking about it now my parents were quite far sighted as at the time (70s) both were practicing Quakers and my dad had been a conscientious objector when he did his National Service.  I also had toy soldiers (weren't they Airfix too?) and regularly built warplanes and such like from Meccano.  Clearly I was being allowed to make up my own mind about war and stuffs.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #77 on: 20 February, 2015, 03:15:11 pm »

Twice a year we would drive from the south of England up to Cumbria to see my grandma.  I was allowed Commando comics to keep me entertained on the journey.

Thinking about it now my parents were quite far sighted as at the time (70s) both were practicing Quakers and my dad had been a conscientious objector when he did his National Service.  I also had toy soldiers (weren't they Airfix too?) and regularly built warplanes and such like from Meccano.  Clearly I was being allowed to make up my own mind about war and stuffs.

I reckon your parent were very wise.  I remember hearing (on "Tonight"?) in the 60s that the authorities in the USSR had banned war toys for a while, but had lifted the ban because the toys the kids were making for themselves were far more dangerous than anything they could buy.

FWIW my own father escaped both National Service and WW2 service because he crocked his left arm in 1928, falling off his bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Oscar's dad

« Reply #78 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:27:17 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #79 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:30:29 pm »
When do you stop being middle-aged? When your kids start?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #80 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:36:41 pm »
On receipt of a free bus pass, isn't it?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #81 on: 20 February, 2015, 05:38:41 pm »
You make groaning or huffing noises when bending down to pick something up, or getting up from the floor.

Recently I have noticed I'm doing this alot.

You wander around the house turning all the lights off.

This too!

When you eat meat, there is more remaining stuck between your teeth and your receding gums than you have actually managed to swallow.

Yep, oh Lordy  ::-)

You start to.................can't remember what I was going to say ???

Oh for pity's sake  >:(

Never mind.  Much life left in this older dog ... I hope  ;D

Despite showing some obvious signs of middle age ^^^ I still think age is a mind set more than anything.  Next Friday I shall be 51 (if I'm spared  ;D ) which I find frankly amazing.  The only time my age gets me down is when I realise that I am undoubtedly over halfway through my life which is a real shame as on the whole I have such great fun.  On a more positive note age has certainly gifted me some wisdom which comes in very handy every now and then. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #82 on: 20 February, 2015, 06:46:54 pm »

I have oft told my Mum that I am the age she thinks she is.

If I had reproduced like she did my kids would be in their mid-thirties...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #83 on: 20 February, 2015, 09:56:13 pm »

By that yard-stick I've had it: my son's in his forties and feeling it.  And I can no longer visualize three levels of indirect addressing without ruler & compasses.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #84 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:21:19 pm »
..... you look at the latest Now... music compilation and haven't heard of any of the bands

.... you grow hair on your ears and backside but not on your head

.... you think your new doctor looks like a child, then realise they are young enough to be your child.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #85 on: 20 February, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »
On receipt of a free bus pass, isn't it?
In that case, the government has successfully made more people middle-aged!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #86 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:09:05 am »
...listening to Duran Duran's 'Girls on Film' and realising that the 'girls' in the video are probably grandmothers.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #87 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:54:49 am »
...watching Reginald D Hunter's recent televisual wossname and thinking that country music is perhaps not totally a big bucket of poo after all.

I'm with Reg on the square dancing thobut.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #88 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:02:25 am »
...listening to Duran Duran's 'Girls on Film' and realising that the 'girls' in the video are probably grandmothers.

With CGI and a bit of crafty programming it should be possible to age the people in old films/videos by the time that has passed since they were made.  E.g. Casablanca with a 115-year-old Bogart and a 100-year-old Bergman.

Limited appeal, maybe.

« Reply #89 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:35:30 am »

Even worse Kim Wilde has re-invented herself as a landscape gardener. That's middle age.
The great thing about music is that when I hear a tune like the above ,I am still 21. I can still recall exactly where I first heard "Planet Earth"  as it was coming out of someone's ghetto blaster that they had carried all the way up Simon's Seat in the Yorkshire Dales.
Even better we went through disco, punk and new romantic styles without the benefit of social media to spread the word.
How did that happen?

« Reply #90 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:43:38 am »

Promptly gets the tune stuck in my head, and shuffles off to have a listen.. on spotify. How on earth did we cope without the internet, I only just remember record shops.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #91 on: 26 February, 2015, 11:57:57 am »
Dunno about the rest of youse but I used diligently to buy "Sounds" every week.  And sneer at the Trendies who read the NME.  And at the Saddoes who bought "Melody Maker".  And especially at the ["Removed after taking legal advice" - Ed.] "Record Mirror" buyers.

I did once buy a copy of "Smash Hits", unless it was "Flexi-Pop", but only because there was a Motörhead flexi-disc on the cover.

« Reply #92 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:04:20 pm »
Dunno about the rest of youse but I used diligently to buy "Sounds" every week.  And sneer at the Trendies who read the NME.  And at the Saddoes who bought "Melody Maker".  And especially at the ["Removed after taking legal advice" - Ed.] "Record Mirror" buyers.

I did once buy a copy of "Smash Hits", unless it was "Flexi-Pop", but only because there was a Motörhead flexi-disc on the cover.

I've just been reminded that I used to save up and buy tapes in woolworths and whsmiths, and later CD's especially putting them on pre order. Now I just browse an app and get what I want, only occasionally I miss shuffling through racks in a shop trying to avoid the creepy old men in leather jackets.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #93 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:06:09 pm »
(Has fond memories of the Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #94 on: 26 February, 2015, 12:06:30 pm »
the Saddoes who bought "Melody Maker". 
Hmph.

This saddo would like to point out that MM had a very useful classified ad section in it.

"Sounds" was for young people. When I was one of those, Sounds hadn't been invented (I think - memory's not too hot).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #95 on: 26 February, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »
Caveat: I wasn't even a teenager when Malcom McLaren claimed to have invented punk.

« Reply #96 on: 26 February, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »
Hearing that David Coverdale was lead vocalist for Deep Purple - and that Ziggy Stardust was released - 40 years ago.....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #97 on: 26 February, 2015, 06:47:51 pm »
nicknack was A Able Accordionist :demon:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #98 on: 26 February, 2015, 07:54:36 pm »
Aardvark sax player was the best I could manage.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #99 on: 26 February, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »

My first job was editorial assistant on the now forgotten International Musician & Recording World, on which in return for being a general dogsbody and making sure the drinks fridge was always well stocked I got to do the occasional bit of writing, accumulated a lot of albums and occasionally got tickets to "sold out" gigs. We used to get loads of instruments coming in for "review", which meant they were sent out to the half dozen pro musicians that we had on the books to "test" them and often they didn't come back, and I remember Bryan Robertson of Thin Lizzy and Danny Kustow (Kustov?) from the Tom Robinson band coming in for a photo shoot one day and spending the whole afternoon getting spectacularly pissed and jamming on a couple of acoustic guitars that were waiting to be sent out. Fun times for an 18 year-old.

But, going back to the OP, you know you"re middle aged when you have friends that are younger than some of your records.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?