Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633577 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #225 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:02:07 am »
It's snowing again in Cambridge...

Lots of fresh snow on top of ice.  Lovely...  :-\
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

simonp

« Reply #226 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:03:36 am »
Yes.  That's why I'm riding on studded tyres until further notice.  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #227 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:06:08 am »
Snow in Stornoway

border-rider

« Reply #228 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:06:30 am »
We had one flake this afternoon.  That's been it.

simonp

« Reply #229 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:08:06 am »
My street is an ice rink.  Well, it was.  Now it's an ice rink covered in snow.

Will be glad of the studded tyres meaning I can cycle into town instead of being stuck in traffic tomorrow.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #230 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:15:34 am »
My street is an ice rink.  Well, it was.  Now it's an ice rink covered in snow.

Will be glad of the studded tyres meaning I can cycle into town instead of being stuck in traffic tomorrow.

Our local streets are solid ice as well.  There've been a few shunts into parked cars.

I went arse over tit coming home from shopping.  Luckily, I was so well wrapped up against the cold that I basically didn't feel anything.

Off the bike at the moment and likely to be until the ice goes...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #231 on: 20 December, 2009, 09:59:22 am »
Last night we had a couple of hours of sleety snow which froze over.Then we had a minor snow dump to hide all the sheet ice & this morning more snow. I decided not to ride to the village to get a newspaper & had confirmation that this was the wise decision as I went a-o-t walking back up the road ::-)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #232 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:07:41 am »
I don't have winter tyres on my new bike.  My street is currently 2" of ice topped off with 3" of snow.  I admit it, I'm a chicken.  At the moment I am having to content myself with admiring the bike which is currently parked up in the front room rather than added to the stack in the dining room.  Youngest son has a tendency to stroke it as he walks past...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #233 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:09:13 am »
Youngest son has a tendency to stroke it as he walks past...

Thread makes a bid for NSFW...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #234 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:17:11 am »
Think there was abit an inch here that came last night.
When coming back from my GFs family xmas meal, it started to snow heavy. Got back to hers and it was starting to settle. Went out to go to the pub and it was getting deeper. Then when in the pub it started to snow heavy, but didnt last too long.
Still here this morning. Roads look fine though. But im being made to have a lift home later.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #235 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:21:17 am »
Brrr - I wondered why the central heating wasn't on.  I've just found out the gas is out, as water has got into the gas mains in the village.  It's -3° outside at the moment, and falling.

And more snow is expected later on.  :-\

Well it only got to -5° overnight with just over another 1 cm of snow (on top of the previous 15 cm), and they think the gas won't be back on until Tuesday or Wednesday.  After 14 hours, the coldest it got inside was only 14°, and I think it's quite warm, but everyone else doesn't.  ::-)  

On the plus side, National Grid are handing out free electric heaters and camping gas hobs to everyone in the village.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #236 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:40:04 am »
It seems to have stayed below zero for the last couple of days, but not cold enough to stop stuff melting when driven over, so the main effect of the snow on Friday has been to leave us with sheets of solid ice on the non-Main roads. :-\

I quite like a bit of snow, so long as it either stays as fluffy snow, or disappears as dirty slush, which you can at least cycle through, albeit whilst getting covered in mucky gunge.
Actually, it is rocket science.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #237 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:49:14 am »
... Youngest son has a tendency to stroke it as he walks past...

I think he's ready to join us :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #238 on: 20 December, 2009, 10:49:50 am »
Anyone know a place in the UK which has Marathon Winter tyres (700 x 35) in stock?

I've decided studs are this season's must have accessory.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #239 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:04:47 am »
LOL, I think you may have left it a bit late.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #240 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:06:38 am »
Panic buying has already all been panicked.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #241 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:42:04 am »
Andy Gates once posted this link ( I think it was he, and I think it was this link - damn my memory  ::-)):

Pop Rivet Ice Tires for Your Road Bike

So, break out your rivet gun and get popping  :thumbsup:

« Reply #242 on: 20 December, 2009, 11:57:09 am »
There was about an 3/4 inch of white stuff in Liverpool this morning,  kids were out throwing snowballs at each other.  Now it's all grey and slushy and is snowing granular little crystals, not sticking very well.

Got to go to the parents for lunch later, I may wimp out and take the train... :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #243 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:01:44 pm »
Snowing on and off in South Manchester. Some of the showers are very heavy.
Five-a-side was cancelled because the pitches weren't fit and Helen is keeping tabs on the Sale Sharks/Harlequins game. Sale have had the pitch covered but they're asking for people to go down to sweep the snow off the covers.

I plan an off-road ride when she goes to the game. I'll take the camera  :thumbsup:

Edit- Sale won 'though I believe that the game was stopped near the end for the lines to be cleared during a white-out The guy on the radio suggested that they should also get an orange ball so that the players could see it  ;D

I'm expecting a very happy young lady to arrive home soon. I might let her take me to the pub to celebrate  ;)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #244 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »
It's snowing again in Cambridge...

Lots of fresh snow on top of ice.  Lovely...  :-\
I came back from Derby to Cambridge yesterday for the duration of the seasonal festiveness.   I had so much STUFF that I didn't have space for a bike, not even a Brommie.  A blessing in disguise, as I wouldn't want to ride anything with fewer than 3 wheels on this ice/snow combo.

Via the magic of the intertubes, I find that my brother and his family are stranded in Eurodisney, thanks to Eurostar waving the White Flag of Surrender. [/racial stereotype ahoy!]  I'm following the discussion of what went wrong on a Railway Staff forum.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #245 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »
  ... After 14 hours, the coldest it got inside was only 14°, and I think it's quite warm, but everyone else doesn't.  ::-)  

HEATWAVE!!!!!!

It's snowed here again lightly overnight, for which I'm grateful because it now means there's traction on the road again.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #246 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:15:58 pm »
Anyone know a place in the UK which has Marathon Winter tyres (700 x 35) in stock?

I've decided studs are this season's must have accessory.

I am inclined to agree.

So, studded tyres ...

1. Where do you get them from (26inch)?
2. The lanes round here are covered in thick sheet ice.  Could I cycle on them with studded tyres?
3. When the ice goes would I have to removed the tyres, i.e can you use them with there isn't ice around?  It would be useful to just leave them on all winter.

Chris S

« Reply #247 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:20:58 pm »
OD - have you not seen this rather fine demonstration of studded tyres?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoSbyT6dO0U&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aoSbyT6dO0U&rel=1</a>

There's a better quality version on the Brunelle website

« Reply #248 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:27:12 pm »
We're lucky that the local council places large salt bins at key locations on the less major roads.  :thumbsup:

So like most years, when the weather is like this, I'll partly fill a bin bag and do my path as well as all the pensioners paths that are by me.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #249 on: 20 December, 2009, 12:27:49 pm »
OD - have you not seen this rather fine demonstration of studded tyres?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoSbyT6dO0U&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aoSbyT6dO0U&rel=1</a>

There's a better quality version on the Brunelle website

That seals it.  If you can ride on a frozen river I think studded tyres will see me OK for Essex.