Author Topic: Apple iPhone SE battery replacement  (Read 780 times)

Apple iPhone SE battery replacement
« on: 18 October, 2021, 09:40:58 am »
Daughter's phone battery is dead.

Don't feel inclined to pay Apple £55 to replace it on such an old phone. Apple do not sell replacement batteries to general public or retail outlets.

So...anyone got any views on the best quality generic replacements and where to get them please?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Apple iPhone SE battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2021, 10:03:32 am »
I've used ifixit.com before for things like this, and have found them good. When you buy replacement parts from them, they also come with the tools you need, and their repair guides are good too.

https://store.ifixit.co.uk/products/iphone-se-replacement-battery
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2021, 10:07:11 am »
Thankyou!

What I'm looking for is a retail outlet big enough to have to pay some attention to the quality and safety of the batteries they sell. ie. NOT an eBay fly-by-night

ian

« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2021, 10:19:19 am »
Not a phone, but I got a replacement battery for an ancient Macbook Air from iFixit too. It cost more than many others, but seems decent enough and came with everything needed, and a decent guarantee on the battery.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2021, 11:00:34 am »
I've used them too, to repair Junior's iThings.
The batteries have lasted well, and I don't feel the need to recharge them in a sand-bucket on a concrete slab in the middle of the garden.

« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2021, 11:13:58 am »
Ordered. Thanks all :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2021, 04:56:03 pm »
Too late this time, but I can highly recommend https://iphonerepairbase.co.uk for above and beyond and very fast service. True story - my wife's iPhone 6s needed a new battery last year, the old one was bulging. Took it to our local iStore (Albion), who did the job (£50 odd quid and about a week to do it). Three months later the phone stopped working - took it back and they said new logic board - £309 please (or a new SE for £399). That didn't smell quite right to me, so I sent it to iphonerepairbase.co.uk for diagnosis - the next day the guy emailed me a written and illustrated report to show that when the battery was changed, the metal shield was refitted the wrong way round, creating a bad connection between the two pins, which lasted for a while and then shifted slightly enough to cause a fail. He sent the phone back, working, and with no charge, save for £8 for special delivery. Nice to know there are some honest people still around.