Author Topic: Rain Jaickets  (Read 1606 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Rain Jaickets
« on: 08 November, 2021, 10:31:07 pm »
Having got away with using a back pocketable rain cape in rain for donkeys, I have finally managed to live up to my reputation for being a hashy bastard and put 2 holes in the airms.

What I'm looking for to replace it needs to fit roughly the following criteria:
Packable, fit in either back pocket or a Carradice without taking up too much space
Durable enough to survive my lack of mechanical sympathy.
Justifiably cost... I've wiped out all the dosh I've built up in my "bike stuff" and "sport stuff" budget so bang for buck (And ideally my ability to take advantage of discount schemes... but they're usually at shops)
Oh and keeping me dry enough without overheating (I believe in layering so a jacket itself only really needs to cover temperature perception difference between dry and cold)
Also I want it in some garish bright colour, ideally Orangutang, fluro yeelly/green or Red would dae.

Has anyone got any real world experince of such rain jaikets?

Binging on Google has resulted in the following suggestions:

Altura Hurricane - targeted at commuters but seems to be rated for all day wear too, advantage, cheap, disadvantages - comes in Dundee or Hearts Colours

LeCol Pro Rain - Aparently good in Biblical Rain; given I live in a land with plenty of Noah wannabes this sounds good, it also appears to be ORANGE, I also have near permanent 25% off at Le Col and if I do somehow use up all of my lecol.cc points they're currently offering 20% off through some of the discount schemes I'm on, downside is it's still expensive and provided I don't break anything in the next 3 months might just manage to afford it by the end of winter. (recurring theme with buying decent waterproof stuff)

Rapha Winter Gore Tex - Also available in ORANGE, More expensive, don't have discount codes for them.

Lusso Aqua Repel V2 - I've used Lusso kit before and it's not lasted quite as well as LeCol stuff in terms of the fabric running out. Almost tolerable price though

Endura FS260-Pro Adrenaline Race Cape - Almost affordable, currently have one with 2 holes in the arms and would rather pay double or tripple for something more durable if need be

Gore C5 Shake Dry... event with 15% off at a number of places that sell it, I'm struggling to justify shelling out that much on something I will ultimately destroy. Also appears to come in Black, Black or Black

Skin... Skinswater proof, Skin is free, a tactic I've put to good effect in warm summer rain... but hypothermia comes calling if you try it when the temp is lower.

Anyone got any to throw into the mix of procrastination and penny pinching?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Rain Jaickets
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2021, 10:36:56 pm »
There's a few cycling jackets on Sportpursuit.com just now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2021, 10:42:01 pm »

I always forget to check

So... anyone with any experience of Rivello kit?

« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2021, 02:22:01 am »
You could keep it local with a Keela. Keela Saxon jacket is proper waterproof, seems quite durable, packs quite small. And available in bright colours.
Usually quite cheap. And they have a factory outlet in Glenrothes, maybe some discounts there?

« Reply #4 on: 09 November, 2021, 09:15:05 am »

I always forget to check

So... anyone with any experience of Rivello kit?

I've got the Rivelo Langcliffe bought through Sport Pursuit (think SP have a stake in Rivelo).

Good at keeping the rain off, can be a bit sweaty at times though. Outer material feels robust though the inner is showing a little bit of scuffing/rubbing but doesn't appear to affect the waterproofing.

They only had black at the time. Not sure if they have flouro colours. Also got some Galibier kit and their waterproof jacket (I don't own one) is well reviewed. If it's up to their usual standard, it might be worth considering.

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2021, 10:09:19 am »
You could take a look at the showers pass range

https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/mens-waterproof-jackets

The pro-tech-st might be suitable although you may have to wait until your size becomes available.  Shower pass jackets are generally cut large so are very suitable for those of us with excess fat reserves around the middle.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:48:42 pm »
Forgot about this doh.

I've been to the Keela outlet before and got a Cumulus (the MRT jacket) from their collection of fuck ups.
In this case I had a selection of options in Scottish Polis Black, unfortunately once they'd remembered to put the right number of pockets on, they failed to consider that polis snipers don't want reflective piping.

I should pop over some lunchtime to see, although they had been doing a fair bit of work for NHS Scotland, so their warehouse may be short of outdoorst duff ups and have mis-coloured cleaners uniforms instead.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2021, 10:52:32 pm »
And their discounts page on the website had 1 remaining XL Saxon in Lime Green for 65 quid
Job Done... hopefully

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2022, 02:38:27 am »
The Sassenach jaiket has arrived, sizing is generous and feels comfortable while riding the couch, I have been too ill to try it on bike.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk