Author Topic: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020  (Read 11596 times)

Deano4

• Trouble
Re: Essex Super Randonneur in a (Long) Week, 19 - 27th September 2020
« Reply #75 on: 28 September, 2020, 06:59:07 am »
It was definitely a tough day and night out. If I was doing it on own I would probably not bothered to start! So it was great to have the company of Tomsk, GS and the Straggler. Definitely enjoyed the bus shelter curry! Wasn’t the same without the night time MacDonalds and I could have done without the rain. Going to have to take a hair dryer to my shoes!
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #76 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:55:12 am »
Fantastic effort all round, I was thinking of you guys when we were out walking over the weekend with the wind really blowing - you've definitely all earned those points the hard way!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:31:50 pm »
I haven't heard from anyone on Team Cambridge's trip to the lovely Yorkshire town of Goole last weekend. Anyone got any news? Bikeabilityman was out in the Fens today on a DIY 300 - he might have spotted anyone blown off-course or maybe a bike lobbed in the Forty Foot Drain, in despair.  ;D

rob

« Reply #78 on: 28 September, 2020, 07:43:58 pm »
I haven't heard from anyone on Team Cambridge's trip to the lovely Yorkshire town of Goole last weekend. Anyone got any news? Bikeabilityman was out in the Fens today on a DIY 300 - he might have spotted anyone blown off-course or maybe a bike lobbed in the Forty Foot Drain, in despair.  ;D

Think they all got back Ok.  Wilkyboy got round and Tomj posted his ride on Strava.  I think it might have been quite hard.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #79 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
I've just had an email from Tom J, yes it was pretty tough!

Chapeau! (Blown away in a southerly direction, probably!)

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #80 on: 28 September, 2020, 08:27:30 pm »
It was indeed “quite hard”   :demon: - Tomsk, you missed my short post late last night up thread but you didn’t miss much by way of content because I was quite tired!

Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:06:03 pm »
It was indeed “quite hard”   :demon: - Tomsk, you missed my short post late last night up thread but you didn’t miss much by way of content because I was quite tired!

Back down to earth for all this week.

I felt ok at work today, but am looking forward to an easier day tomorrow after another night of catching up on sleep. Just booked next weekend away with the long-suffering Mrs Tomsk - thank you to all the family for indulging me last week. I was a bit pre-occupied when at home ... and absent the rest of the time!

« Reply #82 on: 29 September, 2020, 09:33:12 pm »
Don’t worry Tom, some of us still have 400 and 600 fun to come in the extended season , next month.  Both weather and pandemic willing.

You can be entertained when us slow to get going SR completers are out there.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: 30 September, 2020, 06:49:13 am »
Don’t worry Tom, some of us still have 400 and 600 fun to come in the extended season , next month.  Both weather and pandemic willing.

You can be entertained when us slow to get going SR completers are out there.

Despite the lack of Audax Kilometres this year, there'll be plenty more night riding than in a usual season.

I've got a little order in for 2020 year bars, for the Essex SR medals, but it'll be a select few this time ...

« Reply #84 on: 30 September, 2020, 09:49:10 am »
It's the one medal that matters

Currently out on my 300km today, just at the first spoons of the day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #85 on: 01 October, 2020, 09:55:35 am »
I've got a little order in for 2020 year bars, for the Essex SR medals, but it'll be a select few this time ...

Pending validation of our windy-6 last weekend, I'm hoping my submissions will get a nod from Tomsk for one of those  8)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #86 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:06:52 am »
Saturday’s forecast is terrible again.  Being less free during the week is really not helpful.

rob

« Reply #87 on: 03 October, 2020, 08:09:53 am »
Saturday’s forecast is terrible again.  Being less free during the week is really not helpful.

Pushed back another week.  I don’t really want to leave it any later as you lose daylight pretty quickly.   I have a couple of spare days of leave that could be used.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #88 on: 19 October, 2020, 07:03:00 pm »
We have two weekends left in October and I have yet to complete my 600!

Was wondering whether anyone would like to come along on the Flatliner or something for a last ditch SR or bust attempt?
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #89 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:54:18 pm »

Was wondering whether anyone would like to come along on the Flatliner or something for a last ditch SR or bust attempt?
I'd love to join you. Are you thinking of a hotel sleep or a proper audax on the Lincolnshire ridge.
The forecast for this weekend is a wet headwind back across the fens

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #90 on: 20 October, 2020, 01:14:05 am »

I'd love to join you. Are you thinking of a hotel sleep or a proper audax on the Lincolnshire ridge.

Sounds like perfect weather for it  ;D
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #91 on: 20 October, 2020, 05:56:30 am »

After the weather on the 400 I've decided not to look at the forecast anymore and just take it as it comes!

My plan was just to ride straight through but happy to consider other sleep options.  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:28:27 pm »
Looking at some of the times from various Flatliners in the past few weeks, those that rode though, maybe with a short kip somewhere (and some were quick riders), didn't get round in that much less time than those that went for a 3+ hour sleep in a proper bed (Goole/Gainsborough/Lincoln). Typically 34-36 versus 39-something hours, (out of 42 available, so still a 'comfortable' margin). There's bound to be a tail-off in speed in the second half, even more so if there's a headwind. Of course there are other factors ...

rob

« Reply #93 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:35:33 pm »
I was riding back through the Fens today and bumped into Grey Sheep and Deano.  It was a crappy headwind all day but sunny.  They were a bit tired but had plenty of time in hand.

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #94 on: 25 October, 2020, 11:55:42 pm »
It was good to see you Rob, even if I was lagging behind and couldn't actually speak to you.

It was a tough old weekend. We had strong gusting winds on Saturday, mostly in our favour but then non stop rain for ages. Was very pleased that we had the TravelLodge at Gainsborough to look forward to. Mostly stopped at CO-Ops and the like on the way up but enjoyed a proper sit down meal to the 'Spoons at Boston. We were also pleased that we were able to go inside the petrol station at Goole at Audax O'Clock, a warm drink inside was definitely needed on that cold and wet night. Whose great idea was it do a 600 in October  ;D?

After a couple of hours sleep and some confusion on my part with the clocks going back, we set out from Gainsborough into the headwind for a long hard day.

Typically or because of, when we left the fens the wind tied down and it made the final stage from Chatteris to Great Dunmow a lot easier, even with dodging all of the cyclists and pedestrians in Cambridge.

We finished at 19:12, so I guess we could have had another hour in bed in the travel lodge!

Good but tough weekend out on the bike and that should be the Essex SR for 2020 complete. Many thanks to Grey Sheep for coming with me.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #95 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:41:30 am »
Good but tough weekend out on the bike

You both showed great fortitude getting through that weather later on Saturday. I was thinking on Sunday that at least you’d dry out riding into the headwind! Well done for completing the challenge, and for your Essex SR Deano4.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #96 on: 26 October, 2020, 07:32:44 am »
A very big, ten-gallon CHAPEAU! to Grey Sheep and Deano!

« Reply #97 on: 26 October, 2020, 09:55:17 am »
I've just manage to combine the 6 files into one and upload into Strava (the Edge 130 can only hold about 12 hours of data).

My writeup below for those that don't use Strava.

Dean's Flatlands
Dean was looking for someone to ride a 600 with him to complete the ACME SR and this was the last weekend it could be done. I volunteered to ride with him for (type 2) fun. There were a few occasions over the two days when I felt that decision may have been hasty.

The forecast showed high winds on Saturday (45mph) with torrential rain over a 3 hour period, and a strong to moderate southerly all the rest of the weekend. The forecast was right!

A 6:15 start (because I took a wrong turning on the way to the start and went up the A120 to Takeley wasn't a good start.

It was fine at the start with little wind, but as the sun came up, so did the wind. As a tailwind or crosswind it was fine, and the rain showers were intermittent enough to dry out in-between.
After Kirton-in-Lindsey it started to rain and for about an hour it got heavier and heavier. Rain legs on, but overshoes left at home (bugger). The roads were flooded and full of debris. I nearly lost it in a pothole that I didn't see.
But, as we turned to run alongside the Trent, it eased off and we had a pleasant run up to Goole.

I was so pleased to see that Clewe's Garage was open, and they let us use the seats and tables, so refuelled we setoff to Gainsborough for an overnight (3 hours) sleep.
We arrived at 01:55 and 10 minutes later it was 01:05! that was confusing, so we made plans to sleep for three hours and meet at 04:30. I have never know a bed as comfortable as the one in the Travelodge.
It was the receptionist's second night, and hats off to him for being so helpful.
The journey home was just as expected.

The 15-20mph headwind was just as forecast. Not massive (as we have seen on several trips across the Fens, but constant and sapping. Aiming to keep about 20kph was the target. Doable, but a bit of a strain, and made up of 22kph on the cross winds and 18 kph on the headwinds.

A full 'spoons breakfast for both of us in Sleaford provided enough energy for the next few hours for the section to Spalding, which I think is the worst of the three Fenland legs.
It was a real pleasant surprise to bump into @Rob Bullyment in Spalding on his way back from a week in Yorkshire. He is fit to start with, and having had a full nights rest, he provided us witha most welcome tow to Cowbit.
The rest of the journey back was just 10 hours of headwind cycling. Hard, but doable.

I had loaded the original route into the Garmin 130 (The 1030 is being replaced) and I now remember why we don't use that route now. Tom's route in September is far better, but trying to navigate it in the dark, on a 1" monochrome was a bit too much. I have put that route on the ACME Ride with GPS Library for anyone to use.

We made it back by 19:06, a 38 hour ride with a 4 hour hotel break. Given the conditions, I settle for that.

Hats off to Dean for riding this one. For those that Don't know him, Dean rides a very heavy Dawes bike with butterfly bars (so very upright) and big Schwalbe tyres. No clipless pedals (just flats) and a set of panniers that are full. To make it more of a challenge, the Front derailleur cable snapped, and he did over half of the ride in the smallest (of three) rings! When behind me, he is never close enough to benefit from drafting. Heaven help us if Dean ever gets a "proper" bike, because I reckon even Froome would struggle to keep up with him.

A big thanks to Dean for letting me ride with him. Another Flatlands experience etched into my mind😲.

« Reply #98 on: 26 October, 2020, 09:59:14 am »
Chapeau to you both.....I can imagine Saturday was VERY Type II fun!

rob

« Reply #99 on: 26 October, 2020, 10:10:16 am »
I can't have been that far from you both when you were around Kirton Lindsey.

I got a proper soaking on Saturday afternoon near Brigg.   By the time I got to Lincoln it was completely dry.