Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 195812 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #275 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:46:04 pm »
Anthony - I'm on that train too. See you bright and early! Had toyed with going night before but would involve more time off work for a cheap train. Or going up v late. I never sleep well before events anyway so a few hours in my own bed is better than nothing. Feeling woefully unprepared for this.

J

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #276 on: 20 June, 2016, 03:56:50 pm »
So I am hoping that at some point after Thursday Marcus and/or Diesel will do a gpx that is usable and post a link here.  That would be good

In the meantime I can use the routesheets and the large scale google mappage on the website to work out where we are going and put the controls into my phone (the backup last resort nav thing)

I don't think my drop bag will be "5 litres" but I will try and make it as small as possible.  Apparently blankets will be available so I won't need a sleeping bag in there

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #277 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:03:54 pm »
The files I linked upthread will just be modified as and when any different instructions are published.

So long as we get to ride past Norcross - quite a bit of my professional history is in that building. Been nearly 20 years since I have been there. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

simonp

« Reply #278 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:16:58 pm »
Have the route sheets been removed from the event website? I can't see how to download them.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #279 on: 20 June, 2016, 06:32:04 pm »
Yes - because I've had to make some more modifications to the route. On the first and last section (between Bispham & Lancaster), Ghants Lane is now going to be closed. You'll probably be able to get through on the bike however, reality is that you're going to have to take the A588 in both directions, adding 2.4 km to the total distance. There were also a couple of instructions gone awol missing, plus a couple of typo errors (nothing too serious and barely noticeable, but needed to be corrected - thanks to those that pointed them out!). The other side of the coin is that the later the route-sheet is issued the more accurate it's likely to be. If you don't go off course anywhere along the route because the instructions are 101% accurate and finish with one minute to spare you'll thank me for it!

Andy Corless
Organiser
Mille Pennines 1000

« Reply #280 on: 20 June, 2016, 08:17:55 pm »
Anthony - I'm on that train too. See you bright and early! Had toyed with going night before but would involve more time off work for a cheap train. Or going up v late. I never sleep well before events anyway so a few hours in my own bed is better than nothing. Feeling woefully unprepared for this.

J

I had the same idea. I assume two others are on that same morning train, coz I can't book a bike space on that or the return trains now. My fault. I prefer to travel by train than car. lastminute.fool am I!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #281 on: 21 June, 2016, 12:13:34 am »
Hmmm...

I am flat out doing 600s and 400s every weekend, and all my time seems to get used up preparing route sheets for daytime use (I can't see route sheets at night with my substandard eyes...) and checking GPXs week by week for the next weekend..

I have Offa's Dyke 600 to prepare for this week, and though I know John (undulates) always does a good job, I know I will barely get my sh*t ready before I leave to drive up on Friday morning...

It concerns me that I can't see a GPX file for this new 1,000, and preparing one from scratch from a route sheet that I can't download, at this stage of the game, seems plain daft, even though I have spotted comments suggesting that the route is fairly simple, following long stretches of roads on gorgeous countryside without taking side turnings....

Have I just not found it, or has anyone done a GPX by any chance ?

I appreciate it would need modifying when the new route sheet arrives...

:)

[edit]

I couldn't sleep so went right through the entire topic to find that Marcus has been doing us all a great favour, for which my thanks, and of course I shall add in free coffee or beer etc if I get the chance....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #282 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:57:56 am »
A plea from a little pleader:

If anyone booked on the Friday 05:30 from Euston, changing at Preston, returning on the Monday Blackpool North 17:12 (or Layton 17:16), changing at Manchester, is a DNS, can they PM me, as the four bike spaces are still reserved (I'm assuming at least two by audaxers).

Thanks for reading!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #283 on: 21 June, 2016, 11:33:34 am »

If anyone booked on the Friday 05:30 from Euston, changing at Preston, returning on the Monday Blackpool North 17:12 (or Layton 17:16), changing at Manchester, is a DNS, can they PM me, as the four bike spaces are still reserved (I'm assuming at least two by audaxers).

Thanks for reading!

Are all the trains south booked up bike-wise? I've only got round to booking a one way ticket, oops.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #284 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:24:59 pm »
Based on the provisional route sheet that appeared earlier on, Marcus's profiles and much guess work I did one of those spreadsheets that predicts likely times

Apart from day 1, when I definitely arrive well after midnight and leave Askrigg again at stupid o'clock in the morning it doesn't look too bad.  Even if the conditions are less than perfect it should be possible

Getting to the start wise, I already passed a message on to ACB that I would be driving up in the Berlingo on Thursday from Devon via the M5 and staying at Premier Inn the night before.  I have room for one person, one bicycle and accompanying luggage.  I am an awful driver.  Haven't made my mind up about the return trip after the event yet

simonp

« Reply #285 on: 21 June, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »
Reminds me - and I've now signed up with Best Bike Split which claims to be able to give an optimised pacing plan for a route.

« Reply #286 on: 21 June, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »

Thanks for reading!

Are all the trains south booked up bike-wise? I've only got round to booking a one way ticket, oops.

just booked a return at 1621, still bike spaces left (leaving Preston at 1658). I realise that's still not v helpful in terms of getting there but hopefully something will sort it outself out for you. Now just to get a bike which flies up hills and the ability to hardly sleep for 4 nights..

simonp

« Reply #287 on: 21 June, 2016, 03:43:43 pm »
Reminds me - and I've now signed up with Best Bike Split which claims to be able to give an optimised pacing plan for a route.

A whole new world of geekery.

Apparently I should aim for 240W up Hardknott and should be able to ride Day 1 in about 11.5h moving time, with a reasonable effort level (IF = 0.6).

Better still, I can download a file for my Edge 1000 which will tell me how much power I should be producing at any given point on the route.

Crazy.

Also, interesting on the pacing front - I should only be producing >200W on 3 climbs in the whole day (Hardknott, Wrynose and the climb out of Kendal).

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #288 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »
Also, interesting on the pacing front - I should only be producing >200W on 3 climbs in the whole day (Hardknott, Wrynose and the climb out of Kendal).

Well, I suppose the idea is to not go in the red at all.  But on those climbs that is impossible

« Reply #289 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
as somebody who's not cycled much out of wales, there an idiots guide to when to expect the crazy climbs you speak of?
nam dan on fb

simonp

« Reply #290 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:28:17 pm »

Well, I suppose the idea is to not go in the red at all.  But on those climbs that is impossible

Indeed, the estimated speed on the steepest part of Hardknott is 4kph - not really practical. The reality is getting up there pushes people right into the red, or they walk.

I have a route I rode a week and a half ago which their model claims I could have completed ~15 minutes faster if I'd ridden it efficiently. So there's an easy experiment for this weekend.

simonp

« Reply #291 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:29:46 pm »
as somebody who's not cycled much out of wales, there an idiots guide to when to expect the crazy climbs you speak of?

On day 1, at around 190-200km, Hardknott and Wrynose passes, both with 1:3 gradients.

Day 3, multiple very steep climbs including Rosedale Chimney, around the middle of the day, so between 100-200km in, at a guess.

« Reply #292 on: 21 June, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »
Thanks that will help me greatly mentally :)
nam dan on fb

« Reply #293 on: 21 June, 2016, 05:19:37 pm »
Apparently I should aim for 240W up Hardknott and should be able to ride Day 1 in about 11.5h moving time, with a reasonable effort level (IF = 0.6).

At my weight, 240W wouldn't even get me out of the carpark at the start*

*I have no idea if there's a carpark at the start, I'm using an artistic license I found in the work bogs.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #294 on: 21 June, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
Does anyone know if you need a bike reservation with Northern trains?

Nightmare today trying to confirm the reservation with Virgin

« Reply #295 on: 21 June, 2016, 07:33:38 pm »

Nightmare today trying to confirm the reservation with Virgin

Don't think so.

« Reply #296 on: 21 June, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »

On day 1, at around 190-200km, Hardknott and Wrynose passes, both with 1:3 gradients.

Day 3, multiple very steep climbs including Rosedale Chimney, around the middle of the day, so between 100-200km in, at a guess.

Well, this ride is sure to be special. According to Wikipedia:

Hardknott Pass ... The road, which is the most direct route from the central Lake District to West Cumbria, shares the title of steepest road in England (the other is Rosedale Chimney Bank in North Yorkshire). It has a maximum gradient of 1 in 3 (about 33%).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #297 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:06:54 pm »

According to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/images/structure/css/CycleLeaflet.pdf there are no reservations available or required on any Northern services.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #298 on: 21 June, 2016, 08:13:32 pm »

According to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/images/structure/css/CycleLeaflet.pdf there are no reservations available or required on any Northern services.

thanks couldn't find that info on their website

« Reply #299 on: 21 June, 2016, 09:08:58 pm »
I live up here and as far as I know, although there are no reservations on northern trains, It is up to the discretion of the train driver. There is usually a special carriage for bikes which normally takes 2 cycles, although it will take more. At least this appears to be the case around Manchester and Blackpool area. Hope you all get sorted.