Author Topic: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020  (Read 197491 times)

Re: Mille Pennines 3rd July 2020
« Reply #525 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »

Who else is on fixed apart from Jonah & jahs (above)?

Mike Thompson, all are making about the same time.

« Reply #526 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »
It gives an angle on the magnitude of this event when someone can withdraw in Langthwaite (up Arkengarthdale on the east of Tan Hill) and then ride all the way over to the west coast to pick up the car. 

Thanks Peter, nice words to hear now i'm sitting at home wondering how it could possibly end up this way
 :)
@CorbieLinnRider

Chris S

« Reply #527 on: 03 July, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »
I cheered some of the riders through Kildale earlier. Pics to follow. By and large, they all looked in good spirits, but then they hadn't really started on the NYMs at that point  :demon:.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #528 on: 03 July, 2016, 04:45:46 pm »
Yep I'm out, but it wasn't connected with all the hills nor indeed fitness related....

None of the hills troubled me, and my planning had got my weight to my ideal 60.8 kgs (ish) compared to 63/64 kgs on flatter events earlier in the season, and the weight gradually reduced month by month... I experimented taking bendy slip on walking shoes and walking all of hardknott, and although it wasn't that much slower, and I saved lots of energy, my judgement was that riding would have been better overall, because it took ages getting the s-works shoes off and then on again, so I changed back from then on...

Struggled down some of the steep bits, which were nearly all wet,  cos of being so light maybe... Kept speed really slow to avoid getting too near to front wheel lock up... Had to walk down a few... I guess I've lost confidence downhill...

I haven't really mentioned the deluges, but I had my excellent completely waterproof, hooded and drip tailed jacket, but whilst it kept me bone dry, I still had to stop to delayer and relayer, due to getting too hot,, losing a few minutes every time.

Got to Askrigg around 1:30 am first time, I think, but there had been some problem with the sleep arrangements and many of the inflatables were punctured, and there was nothing left at all... I tried to sleep on a bit of carpeted floor in the drop bag room, but it was 'industrial' carpet, and within minutes it just hurt my hip... I can only sleep on my left side, due to the injuries sustained in 'THE ACCIDENT'... Of course having very low body fat didn't help in this regard.... I've ridden many 600s without sleep, but a hilly sleepless 1,000 would have been too dangerous... I kept still and eyes closed and dropped off now and then, but was not feeling rested when I rode off at 05:30...  Not what it said on the tin, but not Andy's fault....

First thing you get leaving Askrigg is a very long beautiful climb, which brought a smile to my face, and it actually was sunny and fairly dry.. Caught up a few riders who were afoot, but loved it.... Ride all the way to the top on the saddle apart from a few standing sessions to give my bum a breather...

Soon though I'm into the windier bits, and I was very prone to side wind, indeed on many of the descents at full speed down, augmented by rear/side wind, it was just unsafe (at my weight), since a two foot change of course would have put me off road, and many times that would have meant plain flying, so I had to brake to keep the speed down...  However I found that side winds plus heavy braking, even with hydraulic discs, lead to much stiffer arms and that lead to high speed shimmying, which was nearly as dangerous, so I elected to let go of brakes, steady bike, and before shimmy got too bad, begin hard braking again.... I tried going down on the drops, but that put weight too far forward, and the shimmy was still evil...

Just before arriving at Barnard's Castle, I had my first 'danger yawn', the sort that lasts ages and is a sign of impending loss of concentration, balance and eventually loss of consciousness, so as I had a few hours in hand I stopped at Costas and recaffeined....  Of course I lost half an hour, and that was a direct effect of the messed up sleep arrangements.....

Got nicely to Stanhope (pronounced 'Stan-up') and went to the cafe, but somehow they didn't know we were coming, and hadn't enough staff, and after a long wait in queue ordered beans on toast with scrambled eggs, and more coffee.... took ages to come and I lost another hour...

There's a lovely yet again never ending climb out of Stan-up too, which I went up barely puffing, and at the top it was an amazing sight - sunshine, wondrous scenery, but what you couldn't see were the variable direction, invisible gale force gusts, that were stopping me almost dead, or knocking me up to six feet sideways, meaning that I either kept bars straight and was going to be blown flat sideways off the bike, or my front wheel had to turn away from it, meaning I went to my right.... Although there were few cars, and the drivers were pretty considerate, this gale gust condition resulted in several very near misses, where the drivers had gone completely to the right before overtaking, and I had basically been blown across their path...  Scary wasn't the word, and I couldn't even take a hand off the bars to check the garmin without losing control...  I kept having to accelerate back up to speed, and it was extremely hard work..

At this point I analysed my situation...

Physically I'm extremely strong and my legs have oodles of power and stamina...

I'm about two hours in hand....

I'm on the verge of sleep deprivation, and there's no guarantee that the cause will be rectified by the time I get back to Askrigg, nor indeed for the time after that another day after that I get to Askrigg for the third sleep....

I'm unlikely to gain time before Kielder, and then I would be turning directly into that gale for a very long stage, to Lockerbie, so unlkely to gain time, and more likely to lose some more, and as the wind is South West, I then would turn south, still into headwind, for another 143 km south to Askrigg....

Decision time !! Route sheet says in Hexham to take an exit off a roundabout opposite a train station

You know what? I've never voluntarily packed before, but my odds of finishing in time, or staying awake, or even avoiding being blown off the bike or under a car, are just too poor, and I packed....

I was buying my ticket when Jamie (Vorsprung) arrived, and as I got off the second train at Blackburn, a rider waiting to get on looked at me and said "So you packed too?"  We were all obviously scattered over the rail network. I then got a third train to Blackpool, drove to Askrigg, got mine n Jamie's drop bags, and had lots of food, and three hours sleep in one of the (now empty) beds...

My commiserations to all who didn't / won't finish, but remember it was still a very good ride.

My thanks to Andy and the team, who did their very best in difficult circumstances, and could not have foreseen the bust air beds, and who obviously can't control the weather....

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Chris S

« Reply #529 on: 03 July, 2016, 04:49:24 pm »
Erm. I don't know who this is. Which will probably be really embarrassing when someone I know really well pops up and says "I can't believe you didn't recognise me!". In my defence, there are a lot of people in the world, and I don't recognise nearly all of them. That's a really popular cycling road, and it was getting a bit awkward, taking pics of random riders who weren't on the Mille Pennines at all.

Pretty sure I recognised Leicester Forest guy, who was well up the field - only just behind Martin Lucas and Co whose pictures I didn't take because I hadn't even got off my bike before they were on me.

I'm not sure who this guy was. In fact, although he claimed he was on the ride, he looked so fresh and cheerful, I think he'd just ridden up from his car, parked in Great Ayton.

I definitely recognised Aidan. He claimed he was tired, but he was smiling and talking about stuff, so I didn't really believe him.

The ride was really spread out, naturally, so there was bloody ages between riders, and I was getting eaten alive by midges - so I didn't hang about for long. My powers of gitness aren't a patch on Mr Plumtree's, but I did get something he didn't - some in-game action:

https://youtu.be/O2aL2kR1hpY

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #530 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:08:59 pm »
some in-game action:

;D  Great stuff, thanks Chris.  And even Toilet Bank as a bonus

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #531 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

Best bike on show, for me, was this Raleigh Record Ace:

I had a word with the rider when he got to Askrigg on the second loop. He'd gone straight out at about 11pm on Friday, and was back again on Saturday, a couple of hours ahead of the next rider. Fitting 700C wheels, in place of the original 27"s  and deep-drop Tektro brakes leaves space for 35 mm tyres.

Peter Simon (Bynea CC). I remember him telling me about this bike project on the Bryan Chapman, oooh, 5 years ago.

Phil W

« Reply #532 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:29:49 pm »
Nice bit of footage Chris, what's the camera?

« Reply #533 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:47:26 pm »
Another casualty. I never recovered from cold early in week. Even the small hills up to Lancaster I found it hard to breathe. Somehow I made it to Askrigg within 15 mins of my schedule  00:45 a.m. Set off on day 2 and I knew on the first climb out of Askrigg it wasn't to be as I walked up most of it. Ended up riding over to scotch corner and staying in Travelodge and sleeping rest of day.  Rode from there back to Askrigg and then onto to Bispham today, legs worked but breathing didn't.  Stage 1 and 4 done maybe a follow up on others sometime in future

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #534 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:58:09 pm »
Peter Simon (Bynea CC). I remember him telling me about this bike project on the Bryan Chapman, oooh, 5 years ago.

i also remember riding a stretch of bryan chapman with Peter and used to have a vintage bike (made in early 80's) adapted for 700c wheels as well - used it as my commuter for a couple of years.

« Reply #535 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:19:17 pm »
I did some of Bearbones with Peter. The rest of us were on blingy MTBs. He was on a cannondale that predated v brakes and had a rack and carradice. He was really shifting.

Chris S

« Reply #536 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:57:50 pm »
Nice bit of footage Chris, what's the camera?

Garmin Virb.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #537 on: 03 July, 2016, 07:55:32 pm »
I'm sitting in Hawes waiting for the control to open.  Four of us here me, Neil Shand, John Jackson, Jo's Wallace. Just drinking beer.
The stage yesterday was so hard and I spent the night in Langholm. The mountain Road from Newcastleton would have been the major climb for a number of rides, add the strong westerly and it was hard going.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #538 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:07:13 pm »
Sorry to here of more packing.

Day 3 has had much better weather (sunny all day but the westerly is still strong).

So steep.

Everything hurts.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #539 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:34:33 pm »
The wind has now dropped in Lancashire, looks to be calm tomorrow, with rain from teatime.
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Blackpool/

Now preparing a nice steak and chips dinner, surrounded by the aftermath of two nights at Askrigg.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #540 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
Photos from day 1 and day 2 now on the blog

http://wp.me/pRxYh-CA

Photo battery failed early in day 1, sorry!  Those views in the Lake district will have to be imagined

« Reply #541 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:47:10 pm »
Erm. I don't know who this is. Which will probably be really embarrassing when someone I know really well pops up and says "I can't believe you didn't recognise me!". In my defence, there are a lot of people in the world, and I don't recognise nearly all of them. That's a really popular cycling road, and it was getting a bit awkward, taking pics of random riders who weren't on the Mille Pennines at all.

I'm pretty certain that's Nick Jackson from Cambridge.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #542 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:54:20 pm »
Here's the full url of Gareth's tracker:
 http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0vcSvCpkdLO90ATgOon583LaDBET8vDLA

Oops forum curse, he has scratched with Achilles problems according to twitter
I had AT problems after Iceland, it took about 5  weeks of cycling very little to recover. Managed to get around Blacksheeps 4 & 6 with no AT problems.
I started MP on the hope of just getting around having stacked on some timber.  Climbing Hardknott and Wrynose I felt the AT going, then yesterday morning riding up the breakfast climb to Fleak Moss I knew it was over.
I could probably have carried on, but it would have cost me another bunch of time off the bike and with a tour across France with the girlfriend next month it would have been foolish.

I'm going to lay off the 1000km+ rides for a while, this is the third DNF this year!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

« Reply #543 on: 03 July, 2016, 09:17:53 pm »
Soon though I'm into the windier bits, and I was very prone to side wind, indeed on many of the descents at full speed down, augmented by rear/side wind, it was just unsafe (at my weight), since a two foot change of course would have put me off road

Yikes.

I weigh 15kg more than you and still have problems with high (or even medium) winds. Not sure how others cope with it but would like to know from any survivors!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #544 on: 03 July, 2016, 10:10:08 pm »
Soon though I'm into the windier bits, and I was very prone to side wind, indeed on many of the descents at full speed down, augmented by rear/side wind, it was just unsafe (at my weight), since a two foot change of course would have put me off road

Yikes.

I weigh 15kg more than you and still have problems with high (or even medium) winds. Not sure how others cope with it but would like to know from any survivors!

The wind was a strongish westerly.  The route was basically going north west.  So the wind was trying it's best to specifically push us into the middle of the road.  The route crossed high moors for the most part during the bit Mikey is talking about.  So you can imagine what it was like.  I saw Paul and Toby riding echelon.  The wind made it cold too, I had various winter clothing on and was not hot

« Reply #545 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:19:39 am »
Treated myself to a kip in a bus stop on the way out of Carlisle. It was around midnight, I had about 3 hours in hand. I woke 5 hours later. The leg to Kielder and then Lockerbie really took it out of me.

Crawled into Penrith for a train back to Blackpool. Fell asleep on the floor blocking the doors. Fish & chips then another big sleep back at the Premier Inn.

Still feel knackered. At the finish awaiting Andy & the bags. Nick rolled in 45 minutes ago and is wrestling with three days worth of receipts.

That was tough. I am not.

Sleep!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #546 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:47:59 am »
Just catching up with events... sounds like a physically punishing ride. Those riders who've packed are well known for their endurance; hearing that they've been unable to complete a long ride goes to show how much more than just a 'long ride' it is. Endurance and super-human strength required for this ride by the sounds of it. Thinking of you all.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #547 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:28:02 am »
Gnarly.

Straight into the top three tough rides for me pop pickers.

Not good weather for 58kg riders.

Amazing though. Thanks massively to Andy and everyone else that helped with a properly challenging event.

Massive chapeau to all who finished. I think we can be pleased.

Commiserations to those who packed, but massive chapeau to all just for being on the start line. Takes guts (or stupidity) just to attempt such a ride.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #548 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:33:41 am »
Well done Marcus! Sounds horrible.
I'm sure I would've loved it :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #549 on: 04 July, 2016, 11:34:39 am »
Gnarly.

Straight into the top three tough rides for me pop pickers.

Not good weather for 58kg riders.

Amazing though. Thanks massively to Andy and everyone else that helped with a properly challenging event.

Massive chapeau to all who finished. I think we can be pleased.

Commiserations to those who packed, but massive chapeau to all just for being on the start line. Takes guts (or stupidity) just to attempt such a ride.
You should give yourself a pat-on-the-back .. oh, I see you already have :P

This "top three tough rides" business; I was thinking that SimonP started this, the MC1K(a) and the HGWI1300 - all of which have a gnarly reputation (not necessarily deserved in each case!). I entered all 3, but only started 2. Did you ride either Mille Cymru? (forgive my Monday morning memory)

And what are your top three??   (I can guess one, if foreign allowed)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles