Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369385 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #350 on: 26 March, 2012, 05:26:40 pm »
OT, but I really like what you've done with the mirrors there.  Very neat.  Do you find you knock them when you take your hand off the bars to indicate / scratch your nose / whatever?

« Reply #351 on: 26 March, 2012, 05:56:13 pm »
OT, but I really like what you've done with the mirrors there.  Very neat.  Do you find you knock them when you take your hand off the bars to indicate / scratch your nose / whatever?

Thanks! No, no trouble at all when riding. I tend to knock them when parking though, or brushing past my bike in the passage. I suppose it's partly because the whole bike is so narrow.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #352 on: 27 March, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
 ha ha! What a bunch of twats!

« Reply #353 on: 27 March, 2012, 11:23:27 pm »
Oh, I dunno, I like to think they were just a normal bunch of otherwise nice teenagers. I thought that most us swore at an adult at least once at a similar age, and experienced the same sick embarrassment when confronted over it. Rite of passage perhaps? I think it's to their credit that they were embarrassed rather than descending to worse behaviour.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #354 on: 28 March, 2012, 08:37:10 am »
I was cycling my Penny near Victoria, and a cyclist going the other way shouted 'BAaa' 
Just someone's butler

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #355 on: 28 March, 2012, 09:31:31 am »
Yesterday I had "Get off the road, that's not a car" from a chap in a completely crap old Fiesta. My trike is worth probably ten times what that Fiesta's worth.

I was cycling on the road next to a not-too-appalling cycle path but I came from a direction which meant it wasn't easy to get on the path and it would run out before I got to where I wanted to.

I stuck my middle finger up at the chap anyway, which is not something I normally indulge in!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #356 on: 28 March, 2012, 12:43:01 pm »
Trikes do seem to attract more "get off the road"s than two-wheelers.  Presumably because you're taking up the extra 30cm that they'd otherwise use to squeeze past in.   :(

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #357 on: 28 March, 2012, 01:59:01 pm »
Trikes make it easier to give the bastards one or two fingers! 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #358 on: 28 March, 2012, 02:04:39 pm »
Good point, well made  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #359 on: 14 May, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »
Had a car slow down mid overtake and the passenger deliver an admirably audible "What the fuck are you doing, you fucking dick?" while riding home yesterday.  "Going fucking home!" I replied.  They drove off.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #360 on: 14 May, 2012, 03:43:00 pm »
This reminds me of an incident I had in Catalonia.

Riding toward Matorell, through the industrial part of town, traffic going in every which direction (3 roads merging into one).  From behind I hear Beep Beep BEEEEEEEEEEEEP followed, a short while after by a wolf whistle.

I think the driver was a bit embarrassed when I turned around and he saw the beard and 3 days growth of stubble :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #361 on: 14 May, 2012, 03:49:52 pm »
are you sure about that? :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #362 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »
Wolf-whistling is standard Birmingham street-harassment.  Occupational hazard if you're female and either conventionally attractive or very much not conventionally attractive.  I only usually get it when I'm not on an interesting bike or wearing cycling gear.

Not something I'd ever experienced before moving here... I assume its ironic use hasn't really taken off in other cities.  >:(

« Reply #363 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »
This reminds me of an incident I had in Catalonia.

Riding toward Matorell, through the industrial part of town, traffic going in every which direction (3 roads merging into one).  From behind I hear Beep Beep BEEEEEEEEEEEEP followed, a short while after by a wolf whistle.

I think the driver was a bit embarrassed when I turned around and he saw the beard and 3 days growth of stubble :)
are you sure about that? :demon:

You think because of the location, Cata-might have been for him?

Donde esta mi abrigo?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #364 on: 14 May, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »
Ham,

I take it you don't mean "Where is my shelter?" :) (Assuming you are using Castillian, not Catalan)

Està per allà, el blau
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #365 on: 14 May, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »
My favourite shout we've had on the tandem so far was on the Brevet Cymru in Builth Wells where we got a cute "it's a double one!"  :D

« Reply #366 on: 19 May, 2012, 12:18:59 am »
Afraid I wasn't on my bike, but was walking back to my car this evening from a 10km running race when 3 lads in a sup'ed up Astra stopped next me and rolled the windows down. I was expecting some abuse, probably as the race had been quite big and had closed all the local roads for an hour or two.

Two lads leaned out. Music blasting in the background. They then extended their arms out the windows and gave me the thumbs up.

"Well done mate. Great running"
"Oh. Thanks a lot"
"No problem. Have a great weekend"   

I'm still not sure if they were just being friendly, or thought my race number (5) was my position (out of 3 or 400) . After all. It would have been a shame to tell them  ;)  .

Anyway. It made me think (not for the first time) about my own prejudices. It also made me realise (again) how lucky I am living in small town rural Ireland :).

« Reply #367 on: 19 May, 2012, 12:23:32 am »
I think they said "RREUeouoeAOAAaAArrrgghhh" as they whizzed by.

That's Oikish for 'I am a tosser', right?

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
« Reply #368 on: 19 May, 2012, 10:10:44 am »
....That's Oikish .....

OT - Am reminded of a time at the Glastonbury festival (some) years ago. I was in a large slow moving crowd going through a narrowish gate, when I shouted out 'Out of the way you Oiks'.
A group of three lads in front stopped and turned around, one of them looked me up and down, and replied. 'Actually we're Upper class, and you....look...yes...definitely.... middle class, so technically you're the Oik.'

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #369 on: 19 May, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »
....That's Oikish .....

OT - Am reminded of a time at the Glastonbury festival (some) years ago. I was in a large slow moving crowd going through a narrowish gate, when I shouted out 'Out of the way you Oiks'.
A group of three lads in front stopped and turned around, one of them looked me up and down, and replied. 'Actually we're Upper class, and you....look...yes...definitely.... middle class, so technically you're the Oik.'

;D ;D ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #370 on: 20 May, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »
In this case it's cyclists POB shouting stuff at pedestrians.
On a couple of occasions walking home from work on a shared cycle/pedestrian path,
a guy on a bike has deliberately cycled in the pedestrian half of the lane (there are
regular images of bikes painted on the lane) straight for me. The latest coming together
resulted in his elbow brushing against me, at the same time him shouting at me to "get
out of the f...... way", despite the fact that I was walking very close to the grass verge.

The devil in me says that if I brace my shoulder for an impact he'd come off worse, possibly
breaking a collar bone as he tumbled towards the deck. Hey ho, it looks like I'll have to walk
on the grass then.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #371 on: 21 May, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »
We've a separate thread for cyclists shouting at oiks, somewhere.

Of course as a pedestrian you can be wherever you like on that path, so you have every right to walk on the side that doesn't get in the idiot cyclist's way---there's no need to risk the hidden dog-turds of the verge if you want to avoid confrontation.

Or you've also every right to stand your ground and brace for the impact. He'll come off worse.
Not especially helpful or mature

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #372 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:46:44 pm »
Today, barakta and I had a woman in the passenger seat of a taxi say an enthusiastic "Well done, well done!" to both of us as they passed.  I did check that we hadn't acquired an Olympic torch from anywhere or anything, so your guess is as good as mine.

Followed, a few minutes later, by a driver shouting "Idiot!" (and possibly other, inaudible, words) through his passenger window then driving off.  He then made a tapping his head gesture, so I'm wondering if he was reprimanding us for our lack of magic foam hats?

That one irrationally upset me actually.  Not so much for being told off, but because of what it represents.  :(

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #373 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:50:27 pm »
I got a "Wa." today - or at least, that is all I heard. Don't think it was the obvious, either.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #374 on: 23 May, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »
Out on the recumbent this evening, I went past two yoofs. They said something I couldn't hear, so I took out my earbuds and asked them to repeat it:

"Mate, that bike is AWESOME"

Nice.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)