Author Topic: Dynamo lights 2020  (Read 3120 times)

Dynamo lights 2020
« on: 07 December, 2020, 04:48:10 pm »
I've broken the cyo on the Helios tandem. I pinched the cyo from the big tandem, but thanks to someone "helping" me through a barrier, it now has a loose wire so I want to upgrade. I think the options are: IQX; IQ2 Luxos U or Edelux II. I guess the Exposure revo is overkill, although I do like the exposure mounts. Clarion has the IQX and I really like the fact that I can see him coming up behind, useful on shared paths with dog walkers wearing headphones, I think.

What lights does everyone like at the moment?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Dynamo lights 2020
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2020, 04:53:31 pm »
I really like my IQ-X, despite the dodgy capacitor and switch on mine. I think if you get one now, they've probably solved that. You'll be aware of the foibles of its mount etc from Clarion's.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2020, 04:55:55 pm »
I really like my IQ-X, despite the dodgy capacitor and switch on mine. I think if you get one now, they've probably solved that. You'll be aware of the foibles of its mount etc from Clarion's.

My main concern is low speed working. I am often Very Slow.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2020, 05:13:24 pm »
It does flicker a bit at below ~4-5mph but whether it flickers more or less than the others, I don't know. Its standlight lasts a decent length of time but is not the brightest.

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2020, 05:58:03 pm »
Is a cyo premium out of the question? It’s now 80 lux and wider beam. Happy with the one I installed on my recumbent a year ago.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2020, 06:14:11 pm »
HK prefers her 70 lux cheapy over the Cyo Premium it replaced.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=117529.0
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2020, 06:30:15 pm »
It does flicker a bit at below ~4-5mph but whether it flickers more or less than the others, I don't know.

More pronounced low-speed flicker than a Cyo, but it stops flickering at about the same speed (assuming equivalent dynamos).

I like the light of the IQ-X (the extra beam width make a real difference on a recumbent), but I'm not overly enamoured with the switch issues (both mine seem to still work properly, having returned one for a switch fault when new, but it's not confidence-inspiring)  The mount can be substituted for the one from your broken Cyo, to good effect.  I don't think there's a compelling reason to chose the Luxos over the IQ-X, unless you really want the charging feature[1], those seem to have their own water-related failure modes.

I have a Cyo Premium on my Brompton.  It's the one I tend to recommend on a bang-for-buck basis, but I'm not really a fan of the 'T' series with the separate be-seen LEDs and less useful sensor behaviour[2].  (I leave it to do the DRL thing except when trains, because Bromptons are basically invisible in traffic.)

Given that you've got STEPS on the bike, how about one of the e-bike specific offerings?  That'll keep going regardless of speed.  (The STEPS battery will happily power lighting for a couple more hours after the voltage drop under load becomes too much to run the motor.)

[1] I reckon an e-Werk or Igaro or whatever is a better solution if you really want dynamo charging, as it's easier to keep the DC connections dry by bunging the whole lot in a bag.
[2] Which I think we're stuck with for all future B&M lights, on account of DRL legality.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2020, 08:17:18 pm »

My main concern is low speed working. I am often Very Slow.

One thing I am known for, is being slow. I have an Edelux II powered off a Shimano T8000 hub. It's brilliant. One of my best cycling purchases.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2020, 08:36:55 pm »
I have an IQ-X and Edelux II, I prefer the beam of the IQ-X, am not bothered by the low speed flicker, find the switch irritating though it always works. There isn't a lot in it and on the Edelux's side is the build quality, if I don't get the upgrade urge I'd expect it to outlast me. 

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2020, 08:52:02 pm »
I think the options are: IQX; IQ2 Luxos U or Edelux II.
What lights does everyone like at the moment?

I've been through two IQ-Xs, both with various faults and simply can't recommend them for that reason.

The Edelux II is over-priced, IMNSHO, but has a good reputation with the long-distance folk hereabouts, so I got one anyhow and find it as good a light as the IQ-X and trouble-free.

If I were doing it all again, I might just stick with some flavour of B+M Cyo Premium/Senso/whatever which remain very serviceable. Although battery and LED tech has advanced a long way in the last few years so I'm considering abandoning the whole generator thing entirely on the backup bike.

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:16:02 pm »
FWIW I have seen a couple of failed edeluxes and one (or both; in the second case it wasn't clear what happened exactly but the wire was suspiciously floppy) of them failed because there wasn't proper strain relief on the wire where it entered the lamp housing.  If you want these lamps to be reliable (and BTW this applies to lots of other lights, but they are all much cheaper too...) you need to pay attention to how the wire is secured near the lamp, so that the part which goes into the lamp housing itself doesn't either see stress or routinely get flexed in any way.

Normally this involves lashing the cable to the lamp bracket securely, so that if the wire is going to break, it breaks near the bracket, where it can be repaired.

cheers

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:20:42 pm »
I have an IQ-X and Edelux II, I prefer the beam of the IQ-X, am not bothered by the low speed flicker, find the switch irritating though it always works. There isn't a lot in it and on the Edelux's side is the build quality, if I don't get the upgrade urge I'd expect it to outlast me.

I had an EdeluxII, I then also had an IQ-X,
I bought another IQ-X and sold the EdeluxIIs replacement following water/moisture ingress.

So far so good with the IQ-Xs; I'm too lazy to turn them off during the day when lighting conditions are acceptable though

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:26:43 pm »
The IQ-XS is pretty good and has a better switch.  Get one from Germany for about £45 while you still can (you have a few days left to order before it is likely to arrive after Dec 31) or bend over and pay SJSC prices in the New Year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2020, 09:35:26 pm »
I have an B&M IQ-X which replaced one that broke
I have a B&M Luxos which replaced one that broke
I have a 2 year old B&M Cyo Premium that's working fine
I have a (I guess) 6 or 7 year old B&M Cyo that's working fine

IQ-X has no low speed flicker but is is off for the first 5 seconds if the battery is flat

The Cyos have been through hell and highwater and have been reliable

« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
Luxus U. The first one broke, but was replaced under warranty. This one has been relentlessy abused and still works fine.
At low speeds a second set of LEDs lights up close to the bike and the long range LED reduces in brightness, so you get a better field of view close to you at slow speed. Handy on muddy single track at night.

buy it from Rose.de and get a 5 year warranty that they will actually honour and pay less than you would in the UK.

« Reply #15 on: 08 December, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Given that you've got STEPS on the bike, how about one of the e-bike specific offerings?  That'll keep going regardless of speed.  (The STEPS battery will happily power lighting for a couple more hours after the voltage drop under load becomes too much to run the motor.)

[1] I reckon an e-Werk or Igaro or whatever is a better solution if you really want dynamo charging, as it's easier to keep the DC connections dry by bunging the whole lot in a bag.
[2] Which I think we're stuck with for all future B&M lights, on account of DRL legality.

I did consider getting a light to run off the STEPS battery. That would leave me with a hub dynamo that had no purpose, unless I devote it to charging, which is not a bad idea, I always have something to charge. What would be the best option for charging in that case? The other reason I haven't one yet is that I have no idea how the light connects to the steps system.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2020, 02:42:59 pm »
The Synewave charger seems to be highly regarded. I've never used one myself though.

« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2020, 04:55:31 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I did consider getting a light to run off the STEPS battery. That would leave me with a hub dynamo that had no purpose, unless I devote it to charging, which is not a bad idea, I always have something to charge. What would be the best option for charging in that case? The other reason I haven't one that is thatI haveno idea how the light connects to the steps system.

I’ve been using an IQ-XE run off an 18650 battery pack - the Steps battery would work similarly I’m sure. I tend to run a second light - very cheap solar storm - in parallel as it widens the beam a bit and gives me redundancy, but the IQ-XE is probably adequate alone for most riding.

Still leaves you with a Dynamo running a charger only though.

« Reply #18 on: 08 December, 2020, 05:17:18 pm »
Bought an Edelux 2  after running the mk1 for 8 years. The original mk 1 was very good but this new one is markedly better. I take a Cateye volt 1700 as a back up. Never needed to turn it on as yet.
Often less is more in term of light output, and something quite satisfying about generating your own light. I hope this new lamp proves as reliable as the one its replaced ,which is still fine. I just desired latest one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 08 December, 2020, 06:28:48 pm »
The other reason I haven't one yet is that I have no idea how the light connects to the steps system.

My guess would be that there are terminals for the purpose somewhere on the motor or the battery dock thingy.  I know there's a lighting output somewhere, as the console has a button for it that controls lights on off-the-shelf bikes so equipped.  There's probably a workshop manual or something...

ETA: Googling suggests there are terminals under the outer cover of the motor.  May need Anna Daptor on some versions.

« Reply #20 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:09:01 pm »
The other reason I haven't one yet is that I have no idea how the light connects to the steps system.

My guess would be that there are terminals for the purpose somewhere on the motor or the battery dock thingy.  I know there's a lighting output somewhere, as the console has a button for it that controls lights on off-the-shelf bikes so equipped.  There's probably a workshop manual or something...

ETA: Googling suggests there are terminals under the outer cover of the motor.  May need Anna Daptor on some versions.

It's due a service, I might book it in to Cycle Heaven and have a chat with them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:24:15 pm »
As for what to do with the dynamo, the obvious question is is there another bike (preferably with the same size wheel) that would benefit from one?

(What's Nye riding these days? :demon:)

« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:39:55 pm »
As for what to do with the dynamo, the obvious question is is there another bike (preferably with the same size wheel) that would benefit from one?

(What's Nye riding these days? :demon:)

That is an interesting and expensive suggestion. Nye is about to grow out of his 20" bike though. I suspect the other options (Dahons) have the Wrong Sort Of Wheels or something.

« Reply #23 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:58:41 pm »
Surely running a charger off a dynamo on an e-bike is even more sillier than running lights off a dynamo?

You ought to be able to hook up one of those £5 eBay motorbike jobs to the light terminals (voltages permitting) because wrangling voles from a steady e-bike battery supply into something USB friendly is considerably less fraught than wrangling irregular voles from a dynamo, which is one reason dynamo ones are so expensive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 08 December, 2020, 08:08:09 pm »
Surely running a charger off a dynamo on an e-bike is even more sillier than running lights off a dynamo?

You ought to be able to hook up one of those £5 eBay motorbike jobs to the light terminals (voltages permitting) because wrangling voles from a steady e-bike battery supply into something USB friendly is considerably less fraught than wrangling irregular voles from a dynamo, which is one reason dynamo ones are so expensive.

This.