Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 336046 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #600 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:37:58 pm »
Cycling Weekly is going into the TV business?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #601 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:53:02 pm »

Sadly not.  It's a TV network that makes programmes about (mostly) vampires and superheroes for teenagers.  Some of them are almost watchable, but inevitably jump the shark in the third episode.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #602 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »
I can sort of understand the appeal of vampires as it's "cool" to do Stuffs like stay up all night and never get any older.  Superheroes - with the possible exception of ones called Tony - are a closed book to me.

I am happy to remain in ignorance of this "CW" phenomenon.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #603 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

Sadly not.  It's a TV network that makes programmes about (mostly) vampires and superheroes for teenagers.  Some of them are almost watchable, but inevitably jump the shark in the third episode.

Do the sharks have frikkin lasers?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #604 on: 12 August, 2015, 01:27:45 pm »
Centuries-old vampires hanging around with high school girls are creepy, and Buffy already did it better, anyway.

All the best superheroes are called Tony.

Lasers feature all too rarely in the CW's output.

« Reply #605 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:50:06 am »
Unadulterated televoyeurism.   :o

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/travel-guides

Seriously non-U, seriously entertaining.  My wife likened the 'back at home' scenes to Creature Comforts.  The highlight of last night's episode was the outrageously camp fella declaring of a Tenerifean black sand beach 'you can't build a sandcastle with mucky sand like that', while behind him an artist was sculpting a breathtaking sand cathedral. :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #606 on: 25 August, 2015, 02:29:19 pm »
Flying to the Ends of the Earth, on Channel 4 tonight.   It was episode two, but it's on 4OD.

Arthur Williams uses tiny little planes, DeHavilland twin otters mostly, to fly to the most remote places in Nepal and get an insight into the lives of the people who eke out an existence there.

It was a bit sad really, stories of rank exploitation in sublime landscapes, but it was very good, if only for the take offs and landings on teeny weeny airstrips  dug out of the sides of mountains.  I'll be watching the rest of them.  It's Australia next week.

Australia was wonderful, but the final one (Northern Canada by seaplane) was just brilliant.  I flew over some of these territories in the Winter, it looked like another planet, but there are people living up there.  And bears, and rainforests.

Arthur had a go at flying all the aircraft, which he does in them all, but the seaplane landing was a bit special.  What a fab programme.
Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #607 on: 26 August, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
As is usual with televisual wossnames I come to recommend things which have already been broadcast, in this case Soup Cans & Superstars: How Pop Art Changed The World, which is on iPlayer for another four weeks.  Refreshingly free from the ponciness that all too often accompanies programmes about art and as for the subject: anything which makes Baby Jesus Abstract Expressionist cry is undoubtedly a Good Thing :demon:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #608 on: 30 August, 2015, 05:35:13 pm »
Dragon's Den tonight (30 August) has a pitch from a cycle holiday business - Ride25 -  I know the people involved at Ride25, but don't know the outcome of the pitch .. although the teaser trailer has one of the Dragon's (dunno his name) suggesting they are "taking him for a ride"

May be interesting to see what Ride25 pitches, and how they fare with forthcoming funding (if any) . . .

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #609 on: 31 August, 2015, 10:45:11 pm »

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #610 on: 04 September, 2015, 11:46:44 am »
Cradle to Grave last night- very, very enjoyable!

« Reply #611 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:03:50 pm »
As is usual with televisual wossnames I come to recommend things which have already been broadcast, in this case Soup Cans & Superstars: How Pop Art Changed The World, which is on iPlayer for another four weeks.  Refreshingly free from the ponciness that all too often accompanies programmes about art and as for the subject: anything which makes Baby Jesus Abstract Expressionist cry is undoubtedly a Good Thing :demon:

Agreed, and showed/shows some of the lesser known works / artists as well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #612 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:28:46 pm »
Just watched Ireland's Wild River: The Mighty Shannon.  Some extraordinary wildlife photography.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #613 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:26:45 pm »
Antigone

Caught this earlier in the year.  Great production and performances.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #614 on: 08 September, 2015, 07:53:55 pm »
Not tonight, but tomorrow there's a program about the Ordnance Survey on BBC for you map heads.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #615 on: 12 September, 2015, 01:01:26 pm »
Ooh, NightCops is visiting Darlo tonight!  I wonder if anyone I know will be on it  ;D
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #616 on: 12 September, 2015, 10:08:21 pm »
Ooh, NightCops is visiting Darlo tonight!  I wonder if anyone I know will be on it  ;D

This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #617 on: 13 September, 2015, 10:42:33 am »
Obese: A Year To Save My Life USA  (S1, ep8)

This guy weights 490 lbs and he's been taken out on a 100 mile bike ride in the heat.  To give him a reality check.

It appears to have worked  ;D

Milk please, no sugar.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #618 on: 13 September, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »
Not tonight, but tomorrow there's a program about the Ordnance Survey on BBC for you map heads.

:thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #619 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
On catch-up TV I just watched "Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius" about the Hut 6 cryptographer Gordon Welchman.  His contribution to the task was on a par with that of Alan Turing apparently but in a very different way.

The most interesting aspect IMO was approach to the task and his post war life when partly due to British spending cuts he continued his work in the USA.  It seems that much of what he did now underpins present day security methods, including the use of the internet by any one of us!  Hi guys!

The book he wrote wasn't actually banned but made him persona non grata in security circles who gave him a rough ride.   It's called 'THE HUT SIX STORY : BREAKING THE ENIGMA CODES' and if you want it today, it will cost you £354 on Amazon co uk :o  On French Amazon you can still order it, new, for 13 Euros.

It seems that if you were a British technological genius during WW2 then you had to tread very carefully once you were expendable.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #620 on: 14 September, 2015, 09:25:58 am »
Cradle to Grave last night- very, very enjoyable!
Caught up with these on iPlayer.  Thanks for putting me onto that.  I don't generally like Peter Kay, and it's easy to think that Danny Baker is just the face you'd like to pummel on your doorstep, but this is really excellent.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #621 on: 14 September, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »
The first episode of Cradle To Grave was great - especially the funeral scene, which had me guffawing loudly - but I found the second ep a bit meh. I suspect there's a danger of it becoming very formulaic very quickly. Will probably keep watching though.

I've also been watching the repeats of Fawlty Towers on Gold, which they're showing to celebrate its 40th birthday. Obviously I've seen them all many times before but not for a few years, and while they're still extremely funny in places, I was surprised at how dated they are. I told my son he must watch it because it's a classic, but it portrays a world that bears little resemblance to the one he's growing up in.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #622 on: 14 September, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »

I was very surprised to see a friend of mine on Crime Watch a while ago. Fortunately he was one of the good guys.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #623 on: 22 September, 2015, 11:41:49 am »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #624 on: 22 September, 2015, 01:10:22 pm »