Author Topic: Simple route finding on PBP  (Read 9842 times)

Phil W

Re: Simple route finding on PBP
« Reply #50 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:20:31 pm »
You can also navigate by examining the trees and plants.
as i recall the north side of the tree will be where the lichen grows, as it is more shady. (south side in australia/new zealand etc)

There is also the growth of the branches and leaves, as well as the orientation of the leaves , and if a prevailing wind blows that gives further clues.

« Reply #51 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:23:06 pm »
...Or just follow the signs, as the entire route is waymarked.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:30:20 pm »
You can also navigate by examining the trees and plants.

Not 100% reliable, and can be hard to do while moving at 20kph.

Natural Navigation by Tristan Gooley is an interesting read on the topic - http://amzn.to/2hczpNA

Yes I know it's kinda geeky, and it's not for everyone, but keeping the plough to your right when heading West, and keeping it on your left on the return leg is a good enough way if all you want to do is know you're heading in the right sort of direction.

Anyway, you can all resume your sarcastic suggestions now.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 04 February, 2019, 11:56:43 pm »
Presumably on PBP, the direction you're heading is the side of the tree with the least urine on it...

« Reply #54 on: 05 February, 2019, 12:23:05 am »

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #55 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:34:19 am »

The single most likely point to go wrong was at Fresnay-sur-Sarthe, where the route went through more than 90 degrees at the Bar Tabac Au Bon Coin. It was all too easy to end up in Sille-Le-Guillame. Remembering that you hadto go to La Hutte, and you  were alright.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.2812486,0.0226299,3a,75y,270.13h,73.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sExyndtD-xd1EfZ7JRt8FBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

On our 2014 Strasbourg-Brest Diagonale we ate at that restaurant with the railings on the right. Excellent steak and big hors-d'oeuvre buffet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #56 on: 05 February, 2019, 09:43:44 am »
Where are the romance and discussion opportunities in that, Deano?

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 05 February, 2019, 11:55:48 am »
Where are the romance and discussion opportunities in that, Deano?

Indeed I was wondering whether to use my navigation pebble again.

« Reply #58 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:15:04 pm »
Talking about wilderness navigation techniques (!) is just ludicrous in the context of a ride where every junction is marked, and you'll be following thousands of other cyclists anyway.

In 2011, I went off route once following other riders, and a local driver soon shooed us back onto the route. At another point, me and a German cyclist weren't sure whether we were on the route, and I suggested that we stop, and wait. Within 30 seconds a bunch of lights came down the hill behind us - even at night, you'll rarely be alone on the road.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #59 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:42:34 pm »
. . . even at night, you'll rarely be alone on the road.

but the heartache!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #60 on: 05 February, 2019, 02:32:56 pm »
Talking about wilderness navigation techniques (!) is just ludicrous in the context of a ride where every junction is marked, and you'll be following thousands of other cyclists anyway.

In 2011, I went off route once following other riders, and a local driver soon shooed us back onto the route. At another point, me and a German cyclist weren't sure whether we were on the route, and I suggested that we stop, and wait. Within 30 seconds a bunch of lights came down the hill behind us - even at night, you'll rarely be alone on the road.
I believe the discussion related to waking from a roadside nap and heading the wrong way on the the route, not going completely off piste.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 05 February, 2019, 02:54:30 pm »
On last year's German Ride I managed a roadside nap about a mile off-route. That could have turned into disaster  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles