Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1018272 times)

JStone

• E=112
Re: Seen today
« Reply #875 on: 30 October, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »
A very close (<10m away) view of a kingfisher sat on a post by a pond in N Bristol, on my lunchtime 'get out of the office before I go mad' stroll. It flew off to a tree, then came back to the same post for another 30s before finally departing.

Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #876 on: 01 November, 2009, 03:20:09 am »
A good sized goanna sunning itself on the road. When I slowed it ran the wrong way (back in front of the car) - luckily the brakes are good so it got away.  No time for a picture though!
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #877 on: 02 November, 2009, 09:45:59 am »
Snakehips, looks like a ferruginous duck (female that is) to me, but the head is a little too rounded. May be a hybrid, but FD is still best bet there.

alan

« Reply #878 on: 02 November, 2009, 02:50:16 pm »
A bird of prey of some sort flying at 90* to traffic flow across the M53 just south of J4 (on the Wirral).The wing tips & colouring were definately those of some sort of hawk.
Despite it's low altitude I couldn't identify it further 'cause both of us were travelling at a rapid rate.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #879 on: 02 November, 2009, 09:28:54 pm »
flap-flap-glide style of flying or glide?

alan

« Reply #880 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:07:00 pm »
flipflap

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #881 on: 02 November, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »
At Two Tree Island:-

thousands of knots
hundreds of avocets, dunlin, lapwings
lots of redshank, shovelers, teal, wigeon
about 20 golden plovers
several little ringed plovers
a little egret
a few black-tailed godwit
about 8 greenshank
quite a few grey plovers

and probably a few odds and sods that I've forgotten about.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #882 on: 03 November, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »
flipflap
Well,the most common hawk would be a sparrowhawk, which has a long tail, rounded wingtips and a very characteristic flight where it beats its wings two or three times then glides, then repeats (flap flap glide)
A kestrel (pointed wings, but can look rounder at times) has a fluttering series of rapid wing beats in horizontal flight. A buzzard (short tail) tends to have a set of three or four rapid and shallow wingbeats followed by long glides.
Kites will show lots of tail twisting. A goshawk, if you are really,really lucky just looks like pure power. Deep body, strong flight, very purposeful and direct.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #883 on: 08 November, 2009, 09:56:36 pm »
Yesterday: 5 seals, a heron anna deer.
Today, more herons, a deer, some kestrels anna bloody huge great sea eagle! (called 'Ralf' apparently)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

border-rider

« Reply #884 on: 08 November, 2009, 10:14:03 pm »
Yesterday on the Transporter 200: a close-up heron on the Newport levels, and an overhead shouty kite at Dyfennog, near Sennybridge, in the Brecon Beacons.

« Reply #885 on: 10 November, 2009, 03:51:25 am »
on the 400 on sunday - 2 crows harrying a fox
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

« Reply #886 on: 11 November, 2009, 06:36:44 pm »
Two roe deer just ahead of us, scrambling through a hedge to get off the road when they heard us coming. About half a mile south of the M4 south of Reading. Got to within 10 yards of 'em.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #887 on: 11 November, 2009, 08:10:46 pm »
Someone out walking a blue poodle this morning.  I have my suspicions that the colour wasn't entirely natural. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #888 on: 15 November, 2009, 03:20:48 pm »
Netted quite a haul at Musselburgh today.  Star billing was a Wilson's phalarope but also snow bunting, red throated diver, slavonian grebe, velvet scoter, long tailed duck, great crested grebe, red breasted merganser, goosander, goldeneye, wigeon, teal, curlew, oystercatcher, redshank, cormorant and shag to name but some !
Aero but not dynamic

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #889 on: 15 November, 2009, 10:26:32 pm »
Damn.  I *need* Wilson's phal. (in this country) ...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #890 on: 16 November, 2009, 07:44:18 am »
It's been there for a few days.  There are several photies of it on The SOC: Bird photos

Aero but not dynamic

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #891 on: 17 November, 2009, 09:11:56 pm »
Well, yesterday actually. A fox, sat just outside the entrance to Ebbsfleet International Station at about 9.15pm. Didn't seem to mind the people wandering past it. Looked perfectly healthy - good condition actually. Got up after a bit, walked about and sat back down again.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #892 on: 17 November, 2009, 09:18:09 pm »
Quite mundane, but a sight that always lifts my heart.  This morning, I saw a pied wagtail at Figges Marsh.  It was a bit hidden in the grass, but just lifted up & away in it's typical swooping flight as I went past, so I got a perfect view of it's back as it flew off.
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #893 on: 18 November, 2009, 10:22:20 pm »
On my way home yesterday I saw a pheasant stotting around in the grass.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #894 on: 27 November, 2009, 02:34:09 pm »
Seen yesterday on Wandsworth Common, a really beautiful Great Spotted Woodpecker. A few hours later there were 2 long tailed tits in almost the same place. It was lovely :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #895 on: 01 December, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »
The 'claimed' 900 lumens of retina searing power of my bike light were enough to
stop a Muntjac deer briefly enough for me to get within 20ft of it.

I'd heard tales of them being around here right inside this urban vicinity, never thought I'd see
one of these elusive and shy little fellas though.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #896 on: 01 December, 2009, 03:46:55 pm »
The 'claimed' 900 lumens of retina searing power of my bike light were enough to
stop a Muntjac deer briefly enough for me to get within 20ft of it.

I'd heard tales of them being around here right inside this urban vicinity, never thought I'd see
one of these elusive and shy little fellas though.
See 'em often here in inner Reading. There are a few living in the cemetery at Cemetery Junction. Give them remains of salad sometimes. They seem to be very fond of lettuce. Pretty used to people, but won't let you get very close.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #897 on: 02 December, 2009, 08:51:55 am »
Pretty used to people, but won't let you get very close.

One of the little buggers was sleeping on my doorstep the other week. We have a glass front door, I couldn't believe the cheek of it. When she saw me trying to get my camera out, she ran off.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #898 on: 02 December, 2009, 05:43:31 pm »
A pregnant (or very fat) muntjac in the office grounds....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #899 on: 02 December, 2009, 06:55:17 pm »
Badger crossing my road! Chased him up the road where he turned right then along a fence beside the footpath until he managed to escape under the fence and into the golf course.

I like badgers, me!!!   
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.