Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016166 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #325 on: 31 December, 2008, 11:09:48 pm »
In Southend today: a Scotsman with nae troos.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #326 on: 01 January, 2009, 10:46:58 am »
At 01.00 on 1/1/09, a fox cub was jumping in and out of the half barrel planter by our patio doors, whilst we snuggled on the sofa listening to Rimsky-Korsakov.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #327 on: 01 January, 2009, 09:25:59 pm »
I'm not that enthusiastic that I'll record every bloody thing I see, like my pal does, but this morning the most memorable birds were (sings) two little egrets and a ring-necked parakeet.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #328 on: 01 January, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »
A fine formation of geese, I'm not clever enough to identify them by their silhouette so I don't know the exact model. What is strange is how many I have seen in the skies around here over the last few weeks heading in all different directions. I'm wondering if they are being directed by air traffic control at Blackpool airport.  ;D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #329 on: 03 January, 2009, 04:50:16 pm »
A flock of about one hundred Whooper swans on the Ribble estuary. They don't half make a racket when they get disturbed and take flight (not my fault, there were a couple of wildfowlers in the vicinity).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #330 on: 04 January, 2009, 04:12:26 pm »
Yesterday: a tawny owl on the prowl at dusk near Needham Market.

Today: a kestrel near Ingatestone being mobbed by three magpies.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #331 on: 04 January, 2009, 08:54:02 pm »
Over the past week, on holiday in Dumfries & Galloway, staying in a cottage just outside Dalbeattie.  Loads of red squirrels, including one from the kitchen window on New Year's morning.  Red kites, white fronted geese and greylag, plus two nuthatches, at Dee Marshes, thousands of barnacle geese and good numbers of teal, pintail, wigeon, shoveller, and gadwall at Merse Head, and more of the same plus whooper swans and a couple of siskin at Caerlaverock.  All this and brilliant cycling too ! 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #332 on: 04 January, 2009, 09:34:29 pm »
A small flock of long tailed tits that visited my bird feeders now installed on a smashing faux lamp post type feeder made by a friend of mine as a Chritsmas pressie.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #333 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:20:32 am »
Yesterday, cycling through Hertfordshire, country lanes, fields on either side, we saw many deer, big ones! At one point a small herd (maybe 12) were running along the edge of a field in the same direction that we were cycling, they were quite close - it did occur to us that they might suddenly dart across the road and across our path, but when they reached the end of the field they turned away from us and jumped through a gap in a hedgerow. It was brilliant.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #334 on: 05 January, 2009, 09:54:57 am »
Not seen today:

When I came into the car park this morning, there were two sets of human tracks.  There were a few cat tracks, and evidence of a scuffle in the middle, which was interesting, and there were two lines of fox tracks.

Cool.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #335 on: 05 January, 2009, 01:57:34 pm »
This morning at Two Tree Island the "scrape" was mostly frozen over, and there were very few birds present. However, at the other end of the island there was a stretch of open water in a pool there and I could not help but think of Mr. Larrington as I counted no fewer than 14 shovelers either swimming about or just standing around.

We also saw a couple of curlews, some brent geese, a few redshank and some teal.

« Reply #336 on: 05 January, 2009, 02:08:00 pm »
Yesterday, cycling through Hertfordshire, country lanes, fields on either side, we saw many deer, big ones! At one point a small herd (maybe 12) were running along the edge of a field in the same direction that we were cycling, they were quite close - it did occur to us that they might suddenly dart across the road and across our path, but when they reached the end of the field they turned away from us and jumped through a gap in a hedgerow. It was brilliant.

It always amazes me that we are surrounded by quite large numbers of such a large animal but rarely catch site of them. They are quite beautiful and tasty too  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #337 on: 05 January, 2009, 05:51:29 pm »
When I used to have to find something to do between teaching sessions in two different schools over 40 miles from home, I used to sometimes park the car here and look into the valley at whatever was going on. On more htan one occasion I saw a herd of deer in excess of 40 strong, and managed to get a really bad photograph.

There are lots of deer in the hills on the Essex/Herts/Cambs border.

Chris N

« Reply #338 on: 06 January, 2009, 08:41:31 am »
Just before dawn this morning: a hare running across a frosty field.  Lovely.

Fi

« Reply #339 on: 07 January, 2009, 05:46:32 pm »
According to me a smallish bird with a very long beak and according to an ornithologically inclined friend a snipe, trying to aerate the lawn.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #340 on: 08 January, 2009, 10:46:05 am »
Another, or possibly the same, fox this morning.  Trotting unconcernedly along the pavement as I locked the front door.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #341 on: 08 January, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »
Opened the garage door to get some kindling and out flew a Jenny Wren.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #342 on: 08 January, 2009, 06:32:55 pm »
A goldcrest, seen on a brief lunchtime walk at the east end of the Meadows, Edinburgh.  Also loads of redwings in the same place, superbly well camouflaged amongst the fallen leaves.
Aero but not dynamic

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #343 on: 09 January, 2009, 10:22:28 am »
3  waxwings in the garden last week and a white tailed sea eagle on the Eishken estate last Sunday - My first ever sight of an eagle in the wild.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #344 on: 09 January, 2009, 10:46:10 am »
The bunrabs in the field net to work are back!

There used to be zillions of them, but then Mr & Mrs Suburban Fox1 moved in...

1 - 2.4 cubs, Ford Mondeo.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #345 on: 10 January, 2009, 07:52:23 pm »
Walking through the Meadows again today, a good group of long tailed tits and a very close up view (ie a few feet away) of a couple more goldcrests.
Aero but not dynamic

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #346 on: 10 January, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »
A rat running across the road with an empty half a liter bottle of fanta.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #347 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:41:03 pm »
Nothing much. A buzzard (weren't a kite, to my surprise - they're now common enough round here not to be worth commenting on), & a fox loping across the road, in broad daylight, as I cycled back into Reading this afternoon.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #348 on: 11 January, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »
A lesser spotted woodpecker, which flew across our garden and into a tree a couple of doors away where it did some pecking.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

JJ

« Reply #349 on: 13 January, 2009, 01:42:29 am »
In the very cold dark on Thursday night, somewhere between Cambridge and Oxford, two fine foxes dashing across the road in front (some miles apart from each other) and a lovely ghostly barn owl who kept me company for several hundred yards, just in the edge of my headlight beam.  I'm convinced this is some kind of hunting strategy, because I've had it happen several times in the past.

And since you ask, it was perishing.