Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1014269 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Seen today
« Reply #375 on: 30 January, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »
A Hare, a great close up view of a Kestral and what I suppose had to be a Pied Wagtail but it just didn't look right at all. I only caught a glimpse of it flying over a ditch by the side of the road but if it wasn't for the time of year I would have sworn it was a Pied Flycatcher. The movement and the amount of black were all wrong for a wagtail.

Also, wait for this; Daffodils in full bloom! I've seen quite a few with buds showing already but full bloom in January in Lancashire. Crazy.

border-rider

« Reply #376 on: 30 January, 2009, 05:41:39 pm »
A fieldmouse, hanging upside-down on the bird feeder while feasting on peanuts.   

Wow

I've only ever seen one dead - brought in by the cat, I'm sorry to say.

Paulapops

« Reply #377 on: 30 January, 2009, 09:36:34 pm »
A stoat crossed the road in front of me this morning

Jezza

« Reply #378 on: 30 January, 2009, 10:53:41 pm »
A fieldmouse, hanging upside-down on the bird feeder while feasting on peanuts.   

Wow

I've only ever seen one dead - brought in by the cat, I'm sorry to say.

It's a regular at the moment. Around sunset each day he emerges from the bushes, climbs along the branch and jumps onto the feeder. Tiny little thing. 

« Reply #379 on: 31 January, 2009, 12:18:29 pm »

3 hares, as ever tried racing them and lost.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #380 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »
This chap in Midlothian.

We'd been for a walk in Roslin Glen and not really seen anything, but drove back the scenic route rather than straight back to town. Saw him on a post and reversed back for a closer look. He flew off, landing about 20 yards further up. This time he stayed there as I edged closer, snapping away the whole time, until there we were, directly opposite, with my window down...

« Reply #381 on: 31 January, 2009, 06:15:50 pm »
A cormorant trying to eat a live eel that was too big to get down it's throat completely.

Cormorant swallows eel apart from the last two inches of it's tail. Eel escapes by reverse wriggling vigorously out of the bird's beak. Cormorant dives and recaptures eel. Repeat as above.

This went on for five minutes until they'd floated off downstream and out of view.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:01:49 pm »
We saw an ickle deer near Coldharbour, Surrey.

I was driving, so didn't get a clear enough view of it to know what type it was, but it was lovely.
Getting there...

« Reply #383 on: 01 February, 2009, 09:34:11 pm »
this fella:

swooped about 2 yards over my head as I was walking across trafalgar square at 7.30 one morning last week ;D looking for pigeons, I guess.

« Reply #384 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:48:10 pm »
I just watched a fox jump down from my fence and walk through the back garden.  It didn't seem to particularly care about the snow, and was nosing around under plants, presumably looking for insects.

Interestingly it didn't leave little holes from it's paws like a cat does, but pretty much dragged it's legs through the snow and left long tracks.

Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #385 on: 02 February, 2009, 10:15:55 am »
Two roe deer from the train on the way to work, watching it pass by. They stand out more against the snow.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #386 on: 02 February, 2009, 10:20:20 am »
No pics I'm afraid, but we watched a family of four urban foxes scouting in the street last night. The smallest and presumably youngest seemed bemused by the snow and was sheltering under a car while the others were finding scraps. After around fifteen minutes they moved on up the road, leaving footprints the length of both pavements and in the road. They're obviously thorough in their search for food. Apart from the young one scratching a bit they looked very healthy.

I see more foxes in W London than I ever do in East Devon.

« Reply #387 on: 02 February, 2009, 10:31:15 am »
I see more foxes in W London than I ever do in East Devon.

LOL, me too.  I don't ever remember see foxes as a child in Exeter.  I occasionally saw them in Cheltenham (and that was mostly in an area surrounded by barbed wire fences, so they were relatively safe from anything like hunting!).  Now I see foxes every week, quite often half a dozen on my commute home.

For some bizarre reason, even though I used to live about half a mile from stables in Cheltenham, I also see more horses around South Kensington than I ever did in Gloucestershire.  Admittedly, some of them have riders who are more heavily armed than you average horeseman (or woman). ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

alan

« Reply #388 on: 02 February, 2009, 11:09:03 am »
Our resident squirrel is digging thru' the snow in the back garden,no doubt looking for some of the food he & his partner spent the last few weeks burying.

Unfortunately his partner is no longer with us.I saw her in the road a few days ago,morte :(

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #389 on: 03 February, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »
In Princes Street gardens at lunchtime - a wren, two groups of long tailed tits and a treecreeper.
Aero but not dynamic

alan

« Reply #390 on: 03 February, 2009, 07:07:40 pm »
In Princes Street gardens at lunchtime - a wren, two groups of long tailed tits and a treecreeper.

Parliament obviously in lunchtime recession

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #391 on: 04 February, 2009, 10:57:50 am »
A sky rat pidgeon in D-Day zebra stripes.

It just looked like a normal very darn coloured pidgeon, until it took off revealing two white stripes per wing - like this...

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #392 on: 04 February, 2009, 04:35:08 pm »
Yesterday evening I saw a flock of bats, well half a dozen anyway.
Bigger than the usual ones round here too.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #393 on: 08 February, 2009, 05:00:55 pm »
A  muntjac in the local cemetery.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #394 on: 08 February, 2009, 06:21:02 pm »
I had a great day cycling on the flatlands of the moss today. I saw, in no particular order; Lapwing, Curlew, Kestrel, Fieldfares, Heron and something quite striking that was probably a wader of some sort but I'm hopeless at waders.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #395 on: 08 February, 2009, 08:34:26 pm »
We saw some interesting tracks in the snow on Banstead Common.  Small deer hoofprints were particularly nice to see, along the path for a long way.

We may also have seen tracks from a wolf and a yeti. ;D
Getting there...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #396 on: 08 February, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »
A small group of tree sparrows (near Earlston, Scottish Borders)
Aero but not dynamic

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #397 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »
An albino deer (plus friends) in the trees at the edge of St Leonard's Forest, near Horsham.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #398 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:35:43 pm »
Bruce the heron , no doubt confused as to why the river is six times as wide as it was last week.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #399 on: 12 February, 2009, 02:01:41 pm »
A mob of bullfinches in my garden. One female has been visiting the bird feeder for a while. She arrived with a male a few days ago. Today, they have company. Several, though I've not managed to count.

The regular blue tit that eats the seeds of the buddleia next door in between visits to my feeder, the blackbird that picks up the bits I put down for it & bits dropped from the feeder, & the couple of regular goldfinches, all disappeared until the bullfinch raid was over.