Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016702 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #500 on: 17 April, 2009, 12:56:00 am »
Over the last 2 days...
A buzzard mobbed by a couple of ravens. I though they were crows until they gave voice. Do buzzards & ravens compete for food?

First Willow Warbler I've seen/heard this year.

Quite a lot of goldfinches - they seem to be more common that a few years ago.

A kestrel, perched on the same pole on Weds & Thurs - on the latter occasion he flew off with something in his talons.

A hen blackbird bathing in a wet ditch. It was in front of a house where the grass had been cut very recently. Lots of the cuttings were floating on the water surface, and the bird's activity had created a ring of clear water, surrounded by the grass.

A total absence of yellowhammers singing or perching on the roadside hedges. Has anyone else had shortages of these (previously common) birds?

And botanically, a very rich display of wild flowers : -
Primrose
Cowslip
Wood Anemone
Lesser Celandine
Bluebell
Greater Stitchwort
Sweet Violet
Dog violet (of some sort)
White deadnettle
Red deadnettle
Yellow Archangel
Bugle
Ground Ivy
Daisy
Dandlelion
Coltsfoot
Red Campion - distinctly early
Garlic Mustard
Hairy bittercress (I think)
Forget-me-not
Wild Arum
A white umbellifer that I haven't idetified.
A blue flower, which I think is Alkanet, but it has become very common, so might be a garden escape.
Daffodils - definitely garden escape
Periwinkle - probably garden escape
Honesty - definitely garden escape

It's definitely a good spring.

« Reply #501 on: 17 April, 2009, 09:50:08 am »
I've noticed that the buzzards I see are often accompanied by a crow that seems to usher them away by flying with them and forcing changes in the buzzard's path. Not mobbing, but a more subtle interference like a guiding of the buzzard.
Is that bird behaviour or am imagining it?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #502 on: 17 April, 2009, 10:37:36 am »
The crows etc  here def.  move the buzzards along.  If the buzzards can't be persuaded nicely then the crows play rough.

At Former Volio Towers we had kites over the garden quite often, and the corvids used to mob them mercilessly.  The kites mostly ignored them :)

border-rider

« Reply #503 on: 17 April, 2009, 10:39:15 am »

Yes, there seem to be loads about

There do seem to be an awful lot of very good shows of hedgerow flowers this year.  The primroses are as amazing as I've ever seen. 

Spring has sprung

Chris N

« Reply #504 on: 17 April, 2009, 12:38:58 pm »
Saturday evening, after the Cambrian 200: a barn owl clutching dinner in its claws, flying along in front of me, just below the tree canopy.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #505 on: 17 April, 2009, 04:49:36 pm »
A buzzard mobbed by a couple of ravens.

Which reminds me: a buzzard getting mobbed by a lapwing on Sunday. Lapwings seem willing to have a go at anything.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #506 on: 17 April, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »
By a roundabout route (pleasing wingshapes, as it happens), that reminds me that I saw a heron flying directly overhead as I cycled across Mitcham Common to work yesterday, and I noticed how, at the end of each long, lazy stroke, as if the bird were rowing through the air, the wing narrows to a sleek pointed shape.
Getting there...

« Reply #507 on: 17 April, 2009, 11:16:45 pm »

Yes, there seem to be loads about

There do seem to be an awful lot of very good shows of hedgerow flowers this year.  The primroses are as amazing as I've ever seen. 

Spring has sprung
Ta for that link - I'd missed the thread, since it's a part of the forum that I don't normally frequent.
Agree totally about the primroses - they're just reaching their best around here and there aren't usually a lot about in the Warwickshire verges.

border-rider

Kestrel sex
« Reply #508 on: 18 April, 2009, 07:24:45 pm »
There's been a male kestrel hunting around our drive the last few months

Today we were watching him while we were coming home, and he flew over the pond and landed on another kestrel sitting on a branch.  It was very quick.

« Reply #509 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:46:23 am »
Saw a long eared owl the other day sat on a hedge. Not such an uncommon bird I know but the first one I have seem. We get plenty of barn owls and little owls and I hear tawny owls all the time but that's my first vulcan owl.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #510 on: 19 April, 2009, 03:52:35 pm »

Yesterday hares boxing just south of wilburton, and today a buzzard by Coveny

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #511 on: 19 April, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »
Scads of herons at Bough Beech. A grey wagtail last weekend at Hathersage. For a grey bird, it isn't half yellow.  Three wallabies down the FNRTTC lane in Horley yesterday.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #512 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »
An evening jaunt to one of my favourite places, Two Tree Island, to see if there were any cuckoos about.

There was an almighty ruckus amongst some oystercatchers, which was quite amusing. There were quite a lot of the other usual waders - loads of avocets, sitting on eggs now by the look of them.

We saw an owl, which I assumed to be a short-eared. Then we met a few ornitho-types with binoculars and stuff and had a chat with one of them.

The owl, apparently is a long eared. I'd never seen one before. Then a nightingale started to sing and we listened to it for quite some time. I was able to phone three people up and they could hear it too. A wonderful, romantic, evocative sound. I'll have to listen to some Beethoven in a minute. It's the first nightingale I've heard since Annie and I rode the tandem across Ditchling Common on the May FNRttC last year.

Then, as we walked towards the eastern end of the island, a pair of owls settled in a clump of stunted oaks to our left. They were so close we could hear their wing-beats (owls are amongst the most silent of fliers, for obvious reasons) and their mewing. I reckon they've got a nest in there.

Didn't hear any cuckoos, but apparently one was seen there on Saturday and another ornitho-type we chatted to said he'd heard one today at Wakering Stairs, where Mrs. Wow and I went yesterday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #513 on: 20 April, 2009, 09:53:48 pm »
Saw a stoat up a Norfolk lane on Saturday. It came right up close until it heard my brake squeak, sat bolt upright and then shot down a hole in the bank. Lovely sight and only the third I have ever seen. I've always been on a bike when I've seen one. :)

border-rider

« Reply #514 on: 21 April, 2009, 11:37:26 am »
A stoat for me too - in the garden :)

It was just bouncing across the grass by the oil tank when I looked out

« Reply #515 on: 21 April, 2009, 01:32:56 pm »

All the stoats in Wolverhampton are waving guns and dealing drugs, or is it scrotes?  :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #516 on: 21 April, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »
A mallard in Priory Park has no fewer than 17 (may have been more) very young ducklings following her about. I've never seen so many in a brood. Wiki reckons that 13 is usually the upper limit of eggs in a clutch. I wonder whether they could be foster-ducklings from another brood, but they are all a very similar size.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #517 on: 21 April, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »
Some other duck making like a cuckoo?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #518 on: 22 April, 2009, 10:21:08 am »
A mallard in Priory Park has no fewer than 17 (may have been more) very young ducklings following her about. I've never seen so many in a brood. Wiki reckons that 13 is usually the upper limit of eggs in a clutch. I wonder whether they could be foster-ducklings from another brood, but they are all a very similar size.

[Right Wing Hat ON]

Probably has a council nest and gets a shed load in bread benefits...

[/Right Wing Hat OFF]
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #519 on: 22 April, 2009, 07:36:29 pm »

[/Right Wing Hat OFF]

It's removable?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #520 on: 23 April, 2009, 12:48:14 am »
I saw a hare on Tuesday  :)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #521 on: 23 April, 2009, 08:01:19 am »
 A very small and _very_ stupid young rabbit, about 6" off my front wheel on the way in today.  It was very nearly (a very small) rabbit pie.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #522 on: 23 April, 2009, 11:07:00 pm »
Today (and for much of this week) I have had my first sighting of the Baby Rabbits of Spring in Richmond Park (a sight that usually shortly precedes the first sighting of a Baby Rabbit of Spring in Richmond Park Being Pecked To Death By Crows).

As well as the tiny little rabbits (which it must be admitted are massively cute) there are the occasional bigger adult rabbit among the small ones - I'm guessing that they are the Richmond Park Owsla policing evening Silflay.

*peruses bookshelves in search of Watership Down*

« Reply #523 on: 23 April, 2009, 11:57:55 pm »

Are you sure it was a stoat and not a weasel?

A weasel is normally weaselly recognised, but a stoat is stoatally different..

border-rider

« Reply #524 on: 24 April, 2009, 02:16:58 pm »
We seem to have acquired a racing pigeon

I saw a trailerload parked a few miles away on Tuesday, ready to be released, and when i got home there was a fine chap with one blue, one green leg ring boggling at me at eating bird food.  He seems very tame and I suspect I could probably catch him.

I may call him Speckled Jim :)