Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1000103 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #550 on: 30 April, 2009, 10:45:51 pm »
There's a nesting box in the garden backing on to mine, & it now has residents. Tits - didn't see whether Great or Blue, & both have been visiting a lot recently. Have to keep an eye on it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #551 on: 30 April, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »
I've never seen so many ducklings as are currently swimming around the lakes at Priory Park.

I watched a pair of mistle thrushes mobbing a sparrowhawk above my lunchtime school today and whilst cycling home from my tai chi class this evening a particularly mangy-looking fox came hurtling out of the Southend Hospital grounds pretty close to my front wheel.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #552 on: 30 April, 2009, 11:36:56 pm »
........... a particularly mangy-looking fox came hurtling out of the Southend Hospital grounds pretty close to my front wheel.

Do you think he caught the mange in the hospital? i've heard that the NHS has become a good place to catch an illness :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #553 on: 30 April, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
........... a particularly mangy-looking fox came hurtling out of the Southend Hospital grounds pretty close to my front wheel.

Do you think he caught the mange in the hospital? i've heard that the NHS has become a good place to catch an illness :)

Perhaps it was MRSA.

« Reply #554 on: 30 April, 2009, 11:42:05 pm »

Perhaps it was MRSA.

That's the problem isn't it? When they hurtle it is difficult to diagnose accurately.  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #555 on: 02 May, 2009, 08:09:04 pm »
I had to travel up north (Australia) yesterday and saw some aptly named Pretty Faced Wallabies feeding on the road verge near the airport.

The locals also swore that the creek had crocodiles but I didn't see any!

Several eagles though (not in the creek - had to look up for them)

When I was in Cairns in 2007 I saw a lot of Agile Wallabies. No Bloody Clumsy ones, though.......

« Reply #556 on: 03 May, 2009, 03:50:19 pm »
Seen: nothing unusual.
Heard: lots of woodpeckers. The woods of South Oxfordshire are ringing with the sound of beak on tree.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #557 on: 03 May, 2009, 05:40:46 pm »
A couple of what I think were Goldfinches in the back garden, if I've found the right birds from the RSPBs website.

They were very small birds, with a very noticeable red patch on their heads.  They were quite low down, on plants, very near the ground.  Luckily Talisker wasn't around, or was snoozing (as he is now), or they would have supplemented his diet.

I grabbed my camera, but they'd gone by then.  I'm watching out for them, they were very attractive looking birds.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #558 on: 03 May, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »
Almost certainly goldfinches, and not that uncommon. We saw quite a few yesterday. Gorgeous little birds.

« Reply #559 on: 03 May, 2009, 08:41:00 pm »
We get them in the garden quite often, but irregularly: lots for a while, then they disappear for a while, unlike the tits & blackbirds, which turn up every day. Mrs B got quite excited the first time she saw them. I think she didn't realise there were such colourful birds in Britain.

We had a couple of linnets grubbing around today. I've been wondering what I could do to encourage them. They seemed to like the blackcurrant bush.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #560 on: 05 May, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »
As I was going round Richmond Park a quartet of Egyptian geese landed on the grass by the road just ahead of me. It's unusual to see them flying. Two then started fighting , and they looked like vultures squabbling over a carcase.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #561 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:37:14 pm »
On Monday we saw a red kite mooching for road kill on the road between Munlochy and Avoch. Then there were dolphins at Chanonry Point.

In Glen Coe at the weekend we think we saw a treecreeper.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #562 on: 06 May, 2009, 01:17:01 pm »

In Glen Coe at the weekend we think we saw a treecreeper.

And lots of bats
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robbo6

« Reply #563 on: 06 May, 2009, 09:05:48 pm »
This chap has been watching me nearly all day:

« Reply #564 on: 06 May, 2009, 10:56:39 pm »
Looks a bit too reddish to qualify for the cajun treatment.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #565 on: 07 May, 2009, 12:58:41 pm »
When I was in Cairns in 2007 I saw a lot of Agile Wallabies. No Bloody Clumsy ones, though.......

A mate of mine encountered a Bloody Clumsy Wallaby a few years ago, when it bounced out of the scenery and into his lap while he was descending at some 80 km/h on a recumbent :o  No sign of the wallaby found afterwards, which was probably just as well for its continued well-being.

I've just seen something flying past the office which looked alarmingly like a puffin.  While I believe there are colonies of wallabies living in various places in the UK, I cannot cope with the idea of puffins - especially solitary puffins - on the Essex/Herts border :hand:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #566 on: 07 May, 2009, 05:29:59 pm »
A great big one eyed rat in the City today (a few yards from where Mr. Tomlinson and the Police tangled last week).

I stood a couple of feet away from it and watched and it ignored me completely. It couldn't care less about a human.

… and when I turned my head, it turned it's head. My God, it was my reflection in a window!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #567 on: 07 May, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »
Rode through a swarm of bees today. Had to stop to shake the blighters off. No stings!

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #568 on: 08 May, 2009, 05:19:23 pm »
Swifts calling in Embra last night ...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #569 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:49:27 pm »
Rode through a swarm of bees today. Had to stop to shake the blighters off. No stings!

A swarm of bees in May...

« Reply #570 on: 08 May, 2009, 06:53:24 pm »
What else would you call lots of bees flying across the road? (a lot of bees flying across the road  ::-))

Chris S

« Reply #571 on: 08 May, 2009, 07:54:58 pm »
Mr & Mrs Blackbird are making a nest in the hedge right outside our kitchen window  :thumbsup:.

Looking forward to some domestic goings-on in the next few weeks - assuming they aren't all eaten by one of the cats  ::-).

border-rider

« Reply #572 on: 08 May, 2009, 10:25:06 pm »

"A swarm in May is worth a load of hay; a swarm in June is worth a silver spoon; but a swarm in July is not worth a fly"

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #573 on: 09 May, 2009, 12:08:56 am »
When I was bee-keeping, we changed the last line to "Let the buggers fly."

« Reply #574 on: 09 May, 2009, 04:01:26 pm »
Swifts calling in Embra last night ...
They've been squealing around here for a while.

As I was trying for size the roof I've made for the birdtable, a blue tit decided it was time for lunch. I could have reached out & grabbed the cheeky little bugger.

A pair have taken over a neighbours nestbox. I'm looking forward to fledglings.