Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1012817 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #650 on: 24 June, 2009, 07:26:35 pm »
A fly/beetle. The front half was vivid green and the back half iridescent ruby red. Quite spectacular. It was about a centimetre long. Any ideas what it was?

At a guess we are all doomed
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #651 on: 24 June, 2009, 08:41:49 pm »
Yesterday: a pair of sparrowhawks wheeling above our outdoor tai chi cavortings.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #652 on: 24 June, 2009, 08:54:07 pm »
Yesterday: a pair of sparrowhawks wheeling above our outdoor tai chi cavortings.

Chinese take-away?

« Reply #653 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
A man out walking a rather pretty ferret :D. Lots of butterflies and dear in Richmond Park. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Chris N

« Reply #654 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:17:22 pm »
My first Leopard slug tonight, in the compost bin.  Bloody huge, it was.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #655 on: 24 June, 2009, 11:43:51 pm »
A pair of buzzards twirling above the M23 near Outwood.   I've seen a solo one that way before, so I guess they must live round there.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #656 on: 25 June, 2009, 07:48:36 am »
A man out walking a rather pretty ferret :D. Lots of butterflies and dear in Richmond Park. :)

You had him out in his bathchair, then? ;)

border-rider

« Reply #657 on: 25 June, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »
A cormorant, stretching its wings and basking in the sun on a mud bank beneath Monnow Bridge.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #658 on: 27 June, 2009, 12:04:50 pm »
A green woodpecker, again near Outwood.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #659 on: 27 June, 2009, 03:07:25 pm »
Yesterday, whilst we were out walking the dog, I noticed that a lot of large carp could be seen close to the surface of the park lakes. There are usually one or two, but then I noticed that I could see the shoals of rudd near the surface as well. Then, the clincher form me: there was a sizeable tench close to the surface, gulping in water from the very top. Tench are bottom-feeders and rarely come close to the surface. I was sure that the lakes were dangerously deoxygenated so I phoned the council to tell them so.

This morning, Mrs. Wow took the dog out. There were two pumps spraying the water into the air and a notice "No fishing on 27th & 28th June due to low oxygen levels."

Smug mode! :smug:

« Reply #660 on: 27 June, 2009, 04:24:56 pm »
Well done that man
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #661 on: 27 June, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »
Indeed! Well done!   :D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #662 on: 27 June, 2009, 11:03:59 pm »
A female sparrowhawk zooming over the crowd, pointed out by Tourist Tony,as we watched "Touchstone" at Crawley Folk Festival.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #663 on: 01 July, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »
A stoat, which ran three quarters of the way across the road, then turned and ran back again.

It was so quick that I couldn't see it turn, it was facing right one moment, then left a millisecond later. It almost looked like a computer arcade animation, it changed direction so quickly.

I see a lot of weasels at home but this is the first stoat this year, and was in Norfolk.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #664 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »
Not seen: a black cap.

The bloody thing was singing in a tree right in front of me, but in spite of searching with binoculars, I'm damned if I could see it.

I walked quietly round the other side of the tree in order to get a different view, and when I got there the git flew into a tree which was closer to where I had been standing originally, but I didn't see it go. Its song just came from a different place.

border-rider

« Reply #665 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:34:45 pm »
f'in loads of horse flies

My usual run has a stretch though a field with, erm, some horses and I get bitten to death whilst fumbling with the decrepit old gate.

Ow. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #666 on: 03 July, 2009, 02:22:16 pm »
Ripe mulberries in our local park. I ate them! :thumbsup:

« Reply #667 on: 09 July, 2009, 10:49:21 am »
Saw a badger at about 9-45 in the dusk last night on way home from the track league.

Heading along a country lane and spy something at the side of the road, which I though might have been a cat initially. As I got closer I realised what it was and stopped.

It just sat there for about 20 seconds looking at me in a rather curious fashion, then decided he'd run up the road for about 30m, and dive off into a hedge.

Not sufficient time to extract my phone (for camera) from my bag though.

« Reply #668 on: 09 July, 2009, 11:10:58 am »
You're just lucky that it wasn't one of the Ninja Badgers that went for Wow. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #669 on: 09 July, 2009, 11:17:28 am »
Yesterday, whilst we were out walking the dog, I noticed that a lot of large carp could be seen close to the surface of the park lakes. There are usually one or two, but then I noticed that I could see the shoals of rudd near the surface as well. Then, the clincher form me: there was a sizeable tench close to the surface, gulping in water from the very top. Tench are bottom-feeders and rarely come close to the surface. I was sure that the lakes were dangerously deoxygenated so I phoned the council to tell them so.

This morning, Mrs. Wow took the dog out. There were two pumps spraying the water into the air and a notice "No fishing on 27th & 28th June due to low oxygen levels."

Smug mode! :smug:

Well done that man, and well done to the council too for acting on it.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #670 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:39:45 pm »
A small flock of long tailed tits on Mitcham Common and a HUGE flock of seagulls near Hackbridge, probably 1000 birds.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #671 on: 09 July, 2009, 09:59:40 pm »
I saw a Cormorant on the Thames , not unusual in itself , feasting on a great shoal of very small fish. After I had taken a few photos it hopped out of the water and posed in front of me for some close-ups. I was struck by how similar it looked to the Booby of the Galapagos.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #672 on: 12 July, 2009, 02:12:09 pm »
A Large White butterfly being eaten alive by ants. Not sure what species: I'm useless on ants. Deep reddish-brown, vicious things that bite people at the drop of a hat, & therefore a bit of a nuisance in the garden. They'd bitten off parts of its wings & the end of its abdomen when spotted. It was struggling weakly.

A blackbird sunbathing on a neighbours shed roof. It was spreading its wings & tail in the sunshine. After a while, it preened its feathers back into shape, & flew off.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #673 on: 12 July, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »
Cabbage White? Possibly no great loss.

« Reply #674 on: 12 July, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
Cabbage White?
Yep. That's what a Large White is. But I spent years being told that Cabbage White (what I always called it as a child) was a local name, not necessarily understood in other parts of the country, & rather got out of the habit.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897