Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016034 times)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
Re: Seen today
« Reply #750 on: 05 September, 2009, 01:46:30 pm »
Today at last I saw our friendly neighbourhood Sparrowhawk in my garden. It shot out of one of the bushes about 20ft in front of me , did an abrupt U-turn , and went back after its intended prey , which I suspect was a blackbird.
What noises do they make when devouring their prey. There was a prolonged but intermittent single-note sound from a neighbouring garden.

Snake

Cycling Related Items  
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #751 on: 05 September, 2009, 02:25:10 pm »
I saw a stoat, but it was dead  :'(

« Reply #752 on: 05 September, 2009, 07:53:08 pm »
I saw a stoat, but it was dead  :'(

Dead badger at the side of the road today. Pretty fresh-looking, no smell as we sailed past.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #753 on: 05 September, 2009, 11:23:25 pm »

Our cats are branching out from mice and voles - one of them bought home a dead baby grass snake today!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #754 on: 06 September, 2009, 12:02:24 am »
This, with others, on Friday evening, near Brigstock.

I think it is a red kite?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #755 on: 06 September, 2009, 12:11:03 am »
Could be a Black Kite in that part of the world, an even better spot if it is.

Have Red Kites got that far east yet?   I didn't think so, although they're getting almost common in Wales, which is a bloody good result.

« Reply #756 on: 06 September, 2009, 05:35:39 pm »

Have Red Kites got that far east yet?   I didn't think so, although they're getting almost common in Wales, which is a bloody good result.
I don't know how far they've spread from where they were reintroduced north of Henley, but Red Kites are now very common in South Bucks,  South Oxfordshire, & some parts of Berkshire. We very often see them over Reading.

Aha! One of the other reintroduction sites was Rockingham Forest. I didn't know about that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #757 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:03:09 pm »

Red kite is *much* more likely.  Also, the tail looks too forked to me to be black kite (though it's been a while).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #758 on: 06 September, 2009, 10:12:23 pm »
Large fungus in Glen Esk:

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #759 on: 07 September, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »

Red kite is *much* more likely.  Also, the tail looks too forked to me to be black kite (though it's been a while).

Definitely a red kite.

Snakehips

« Reply #760 on: 09 September, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »
Just seen a Kingfisher fly under Kingston bridge just above the surface of the water.

Snakehips

« Reply #761 on: 09 September, 2009, 08:23:57 pm »
Bless my soul , I must get down to the river more often. Just by Teddington weir I saw a cormorant with a nine(ish) inch eel in its beak. The cormorant had a struggle killing the eel , at one point the eel wrapped itself round the cormorant's neck. Eventually subdued it went down in a couple of gulps.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #762 on: 10 September, 2009, 09:28:03 am »
Mrs. Wow and I have seen red kites in Northamptonshire while we've been driving along the A14. There's quite a decent colony in that area, it seems.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #763 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:19:03 am »
Mrs. Wow and I have seen red kites in Northamptonshire while we've been driving along the A14. There's quite a decent colony in that area, it seems.

Yes, I saw some when cycling between Oakham and Oundle earlier in the year.

« Reply #764 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:45:47 am »

Well, yes . . .  as I said above, it's one of the reintroduction sites.

Chris S

« Reply #765 on: 10 September, 2009, 10:59:26 am »

Did you add that line about Rockingham Forest as an edit? I don't remember it being there before...?

« Reply #766 on: 10 September, 2009, 11:07:57 am »

Did you add that line about Rockingham Forest as an edit? I don't remember it being there before...?
Nope. It's always been there.

Chris S

« Reply #767 on: 10 September, 2009, 11:08:55 am »

Nope. It's always been there.

Must get my eyes tested  ::-)  :)

« Reply #768 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:05:32 pm »
A horde of seagulls following a plough (no surprise there), & a smaller, but still substantial (they wouldn't stay still to be counted, but maybe 20) flock of kites, near Ipsden, South Oxfordshire, this afternoon. Tried to get pictures, but didn't get a decent one. The ploughman stopped for a chat, & told me they routinely followed the plough now, & wherever he went, he was sure to soon have a flock behind him. He said (& after he moved on, I confirmed it by observation) that the gulls (& he also said rooks, but there were none present on this occasion) kept out of the way of the kites, although he was confident that kites posed no threat to them. He thought perhaps they didn't distinguish between kites & more dangerous birds of prey.

I'd thought of the plough turning up worms, but he said as well as worms & other invertebrates, it turned up mice, voles & the like.

He reckoned that the crowds following him were one symptom (he though there were others) that there were too many kites in the locality for the available natural food (i.e. carrion), & agreed that people feeding them was probably a contributory factor, encouraging them to stay in the area when they should be dispersing to as yet uncolonised territory. He said that some of them were pretty tame - "not as they should be", in his words, & would approach very close to anyone with food, which he disapproved of, thinking wild creatures should remain wild.

A thoughtful ploughman.

« Reply #769 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:15:56 pm »
Two young kookaburras visited my balcony to enjoy the view of the river.

I've got a picture but can't post it (don't have a flicker account or similar)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

border-rider

« Reply #770 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:32:02 pm »
A horde of seagulls following a plough (no surprise there), & a smaller, but still substantial (they wouldn't stay still to be counted, but maybe 20) flock of kites, near Ipsden, South Oxfordshire, this afternoon. Tried to get pictures, but didn't get a decent one. The ploughman stopped for a chat, & told me they routinely followed the plough now, & wherever he went, he was sure to soon have a flock behind him. He said (& after he moved on, I confirmed it by observation) that the gulls (& he also said rooks, but there were none present on this occasion) kept out of the way of the kites, although he was confident that kites posed no threat to them. He thought perhaps they didn't distinguish between kites & more dangerous birds of prey.

I'd thought of the plough turning up worms, but he said as well as worms & other invertebrates, it turned up mice, voles & the like.

He reckoned that the crowds following him were one symptom (he though there were others) that there were too many kites in the locality for the available natural food (i.e. carrion), & agreed that people feeding them was probably a contributory factor, encouraging them to stay in the area when they should be dispersing to as yet uncolonised territory. He said that some of them were pretty tame - "not as they should be", in his words, & would approach very close to anyone with food, which he disapproed of, thinking wild creatures should remain wild.

A thoughtful ploughman.

I've seen kites pouncing down behind a plough in ones and twos, but never that many...they are much less common in West Berks though

border-rider

« Reply #771 on: 13 September, 2009, 10:34:38 pm »
Seen on Friday actually.  A big fox  - which is quite rare to see tiddling about round here - and two sheep that thought they were cows.  They were in with a small herd of young bulls, and the whole lot came trotting after me when I was running, in that curious way that cattle have.  The sheep seemed very at home with their bovine colleagues and came right up to me with the rest of the herd to have a good look.

« Reply #772 on: 14 September, 2009, 01:22:37 pm »

Photobucket is free, up to a certain amount.

« Reply #773 on: 15 September, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »
A greedfinch. Sat on the feeder munching for so long I was beginning to wonder if it would be able to fly away. Looked very well-fed when it arrived.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #774 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:01:05 pm »

Photobucket is free, up to a certain amount.

so is flickr, at least in the UK.