Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016829 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #100 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:41:56 am »
seen in my sisters garden :o

Lovely! Grass snakes are terrific creatures. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #101 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:38:44 pm »
Lovely! Grass snakes are terrific creatures
I'm shit scared of them even seeing them on the telly gives me the willys

« Reply #102 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »
C'mon, grass snakes are completely harmless - and way more scared of us than we are of them.

Big ones can be a bit of a shock to come across though!

« Reply #103 on: 15 May, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »
It was running across Chobham Common in a scout wide game at dusk that I became wairy of snakes.

I saw one uncoil and dissapear into the gorse from where my right foot was going to be in about two strides.

Only problem being there ae Adders on Chobham Common as well as the non-venomous snakes.

Matthew

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #104 on: 15 May, 2008, 06:39:41 pm »
Today I saw one of the most rare of creatures - it was a black pudding on a bike.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #105 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:59:59 pm »
Today I saw one of the most rare of creatures - it was a black pudding on a bike.  ;D

That's a coincidence!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #106 on: 16 May, 2008, 12:17:17 am »
A mouse.

Where?

In the trap in the cupboard. The trap has been there for months and finally a mouse decided to stick it's nose in.

So I released it.

At Tescos

In the carpark.

When I went shopping.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #107 on: 16 May, 2008, 12:22:02 am »
If that was at Riverside, the rats will have it in no time.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #108 on: 16 May, 2008, 09:31:10 am »
The brief copulation of a pair of blackbirds as I passed.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #109 on: 16 May, 2008, 09:52:01 am »
If that was at Riverside, the rats will have it in no time.

Kingsway..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #110 on: 16 May, 2008, 12:56:41 pm »
Today I shouted at a squirrel and rang my bell at a rabbit. They're as bad as pedestrians.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #111 on: 16 May, 2008, 01:10:39 pm »
Found a frog in a mousetrap in my garage. No idea how it got it, it looked way too big to get under the door. Been dead for some time,  might have been there since last summer.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #112 on: 16 May, 2008, 09:31:20 pm »
First back-garden ducklings of the year.

border-rider

« Reply #113 on: 16 May, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »
Newts & toads in our pond :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #114 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:07:22 pm »
Of all the fine birdsong we heard during the dawn chorus on the way to Brighton, the nightingale was a rare treat indeed. Ditchling Common at about 6.30 a.m.

« Reply #115 on: 17 May, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »
Of all the fine birdsong we heard during the dawn chorus on the way to Brighton, the nightingale was a rare treat indeed. Ditchling Common at about 6.30 a.m.

Quite a few nightingales in the area - seems to be something to do with this patch just north of the Downs that attracts them.

Worth riding at night just to listen to them.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #116 on: 19 May, 2008, 09:44:33 am »
Three buzzards, two of which were having a barney in a field.
A kestrel.

And an osprey getting hassled by a crow at a fish farm.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #117 on: 19 May, 2008, 06:10:46 pm »
I was on my afternoon commute and I heard a cuckoo. I looked up to see two of them flying about! Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop and watch. About 3 minutes and half-a-mile later I hard another cuckoo which may have been one of the two I saw, but it would have had to have got on with it.

I wonder whether the two I saw were male & female. The female is supposed not to cuckoo and the male is supposed not to cuckoo whilst flying, but this one definitely did. (unless there was a third which I didn't see!).

Pete

« Reply #118 on: 19 May, 2008, 11:25:29 pm »
We live less than a mile from Ditchling Common, and are familiar with the occurrence of nightingales there, though we don't hear them as often as we'd like.  Well listened!  Very different down in 'our' part of France, where every bush has its rossignol, it seems!

I was on my afternoon commute and I heard a cuckoo. I looked up to see two of them flying about! Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop and watch. About 3 minutes and half-a-mile later I hard another cuckoo which may have been one of the two I saw, but it would have had to have got on with it.

I wonder whether the two I saw were male & female. The female is supposed not to cuckoo and the male is supposed not to cuckoo whilst flying, but this one definitely did. (unless there was a third which I didn't see!).
We also heard and saw a pair of cuckoos up in Scotland this weekend, whilst walking through a rather forlorn and wind-damaged area of forest in the Trossachs.  And we definitely watched a smaller (unidentified) bird mobbing one of the cuckoos and successfully driving it off.  I thought this only happened with birds of prey, but seemingly not.  Do cuckoos' 'victims' know of the threat they pose, and take action accordingly?

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #119 on: 20 May, 2008, 03:51:29 pm »
Two pheasants shagging, two little egrets, an extremely unkempt kestrel, and saw and heard reed warblers.  :)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #120 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:15:14 pm »
We are too far north for nightingales unfortunately. They dont like coming much further north than Watford Gap.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #121 on: 21 May, 2008, 07:22:41 pm »
A young male fox, on the cycle track. Tail bushed out it was spooked my two cyclists approaching in different directions. Ran around in a circle, low to the ground. Then it took off at speed in to the field and up the hill.
It is simpler than it looks.

Pete

« Reply #122 on: 25 May, 2008, 08:03:09 pm »
Nightingales here today for us too.  Not on Ditchling Common this time, but we were out walking a mile or two to the west, in an area of open space on the edge of town known - appropriately enough - as Nightingale Meadows.  First time I've heard them sing at that spot - comforting to know that they can read... ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #123 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:11:26 pm »
Seen on Friday: rabbits.

This is not unusual in areas well-found for greenery, but hopping blithely across the car parks of a retail park in Scunthorpe ??
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pete

« Reply #124 on: 27 May, 2008, 04:38:12 pm »
Rabbits get just about everywhere and I would certainly expect to see them right across our urban landscape.  All they need is a grassy verge or bank, or someone's back garden.  It was so different when I was a kid, in the 1950s just after the great myxo pandemic, and sighting a rabbit was a rarity and noteworthy....