Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016150 times)

Chris S

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1100 on: 02 March, 2010, 10:05:05 pm »
Have you been suffering rains of fish and frogs (and possibly badgers and deers!) ?

That area between Downham Market and St Ives? Who knows what happens there...

border-rider

« Reply #1101 on: 03 March, 2010, 11:15:53 pm »
Hundreds and hundreds of starlings, doing the swirly coalescing, folding group flying thing near Knighton

Lovely :)

« Reply #1102 on: 04 March, 2010, 10:00:41 am »
Not by me but by Mrs Pcolbeck. A Red Kite sat on some road kill about a mile from our house.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1103 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:11:39 pm »
Anyway, seen today...dozens of redwings in the Meadows. 

...and dozens of them in our local park in Sydenham on Sunday.  I've been used to seeing the odd one or two around our area this winter but this was quite a sight - perhaps a hundred or so picking around on the very waterlogged grass, mixed up with a handful of starlings.

« Reply #1104 on: 04 March, 2010, 01:47:49 pm »
Not by me but by Mrs Pcolbeck. A Red Kite sat on some road kill about a mile from our house.
On my ride on Tuesday, I commented to my cycling partner that I wished I'd kept count of the kites. At the time, I could see six. I'm not sure what double figure number I saw altogether.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1105 on: 04 March, 2010, 02:24:36 pm »
On my ride on Tuesday, I commented to my cycling partner that I wished I'd kept count of the kites. At the time, I could see six. I'm not sure what double figure number I saw altogether.  ;D

Not as common up here as they are on the South Downs. I often see them from the M40 where it goes up through the big chalk cut.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1106 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »

Fish (in the verge, by the road. WTF?)

What a strange plaice?
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #1107 on: 04 March, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »

Buzzard.   :D

And I got within 20 metres of it before it decided to launch itself off from the fence.
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1108 on: 05 March, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »
Decapitated Fox in the 4-foot (the gap between the rails) at Proof House Junction, Birmingham.  Seen yesterday morning, still there just now.  I had the misfortune that both yesterday's and today's trains stopped with me next to the corpse, giving a grandstand view.

Proof House - Known to train drivers as "the crucible" as you have to get a red before you get a colour.

PS [Dom Joly Voice]I'm On The Train[/Dom Joly Voice]
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1109 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
I saw an intact fox from the train on Weds afternoon trotting across a snow-covered field near Blackford.

This evening a pair of deer in a field just past Carnsnootie.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1110 on: 06 March, 2010, 10:48:46 am »
Cycling north of Aberdeen saw loads of buzzards, several curlews & a lark (heard a few of these).

At the Ythan estuary there was a raft of eiders gossiping like a gaggle of grannies on the no. 17 bus ("Ooh..", "Ooh..").

Oh, and a dead blue tit on the road  :'(

Went to Arundel WWT reserve with some friends and their little girl, and all the eider were doing their "Ah-OOH!" calls. Jessy goes "Look, mummy, Frankie Howerd ducks!"

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1111 on: 06 March, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
A couple of goldfinches and a little group of long tailed tits at the back of the house. 
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1112 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:05:44 pm »

I heard loads of great tits reinflating their tyres with a rusting foot pump.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1113 on: 07 March, 2010, 06:12:10 pm »
First dolphin of the year today  :thumbsup:

Also this weekend: heard larks, yellowhammers & woodpecker; saw deer, kestrel, geese (skeins & in the fields) & lambs plus the usual plethora of buzzards.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1114 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:26:09 pm »
Barn owl about 90 minutes before sunset.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1115 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:50:45 pm »
Near Sonning Common this morning. A kestrel, hovering maybe 20 foot up, & so intent on something at the side of the road that it ignored Mrs B & me as we cycled almost directly under it.

A kite at Sonning Common, apparently chasing another one away from its patch.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1116 on: 07 March, 2010, 10:26:23 pm »
Yesterday, on the Grand Union canal towpath near Knowle, was a Chinese Mandarin duck (drake presumably) mixed in with the usual mallard. All were in full breeding plumage, looking truly splendid in a brief spot of sunshine.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1117 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »
A seal scoffing a fish in the harbour yesterday evening.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1118 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »
A pair of dunnocks acting strangely in the back garden.  One was flitting about following the other and stopping every so often to flick its wings.  I assumed this must be some sort of courtship display but I've just looked it up and found it to be quite the reverse, the birds in question must've been both male and the wing flicking is the owner of the territory telling the other to be on his way.
Aero but not dynamic

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
« Reply #1119 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:37:00 pm »
The sex life of dunnocks is hugely complicated and, frankly, rather louche.  A female may copulate with up to 20 males ejecting the sperm of those she reckons aren't up to it!
Question everything, accept nothing.

« Reply #1120 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:47:22 pm »
The sex life of dunnocks is hugely complicated and, frankly, rather louche.  A female may copulate with up to 20 males ejecting the sperm of those she reckons aren't up to it!

The stuff I learn here is amazing. This ejecting of the sub optimal sperm, is it a conscious choice?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1121 on: 11 March, 2010, 03:21:14 pm »

Last night it was so clear that I could see M42 and M43  next to Orion's Belt.  (naked eye)
I've got crappy peepers even when wearing glasses, so a bit of a scoop for me.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1122 on: 11 March, 2010, 04:01:41 pm »
Mr. Reynard strolling across  open fields over Cauldon Low near Ashbourne.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1123 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:07:49 pm »
Marsh harrier near Walton on the Naze.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1124 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:27:34 pm »
On my way home this evening, a curlew stood in the middle of the road.