Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1017729 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1375 on: 30 July, 2010, 02:21:43 pm »
Yellowhammer, I want to go for walks with you.  You spot such fascinating things.

You've scored.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1376 on: 30 July, 2010, 02:27:32 pm »
Cheeky fellow! ;D

I just see things which get categorised as: Insect, bee, ant, butterfly, caterpillar, dragonfly (or is it a damselfly?), frog (maybe toad, now I think about it), snake - or slow worm, they're not snakes at all, are they?  But they look like one to me... :-\  etc etc.

So much more intersting to know Stuff about what you see.  I used to have a partner who was an expert on botany.  She knew common and Latin names for all sorts of things, and could spot the differences between plants I thought were identical (and the link between ones I thought were different).  Of course, it went in one ear and out the other, and I was left thinking 'Ooh! Pretty blue flower' or whatever, but it was nice that someone knew.
Getting there...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1377 on: 30 July, 2010, 02:46:54 pm »
I'm about up with Clarion when it comes to the identifying stuff lark. Going around with someone who Knows Their Stuff is a wonder.  TT was brilliant at the Barnes Wetland place last year (ooh, we must go again). My chums Frank and Bob are also ded gud at the birdy stuff. And my friend Nic has an utterly amazing blog of London Nature Photos.

Dragging the thread back on topic, cycling home yesterday I saw a female Mallard (duck, not steam powered loco) legging it down the road, pursued by a bear young fox.  I'm guessing the fox had already had a go at the duck, reducing its flight capabilities. The fox ran off when I got too close.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1378 on: 30 July, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »
Today on my way to work I saw either a weasel or a stoat. First time I've seen one and I don't know which it was! I know that one is weasily recognised and the other is stoatally different, but the sun was behind it and it was some distance away so I didn't get a good view. I think it's face was a bit stubbier than stoaty so maybe a weasel.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1379 on: 30 July, 2010, 06:26:28 pm »
Today on my way to work I saw either a weasel or a stoat. First time I've seen one and I don't know which it was! I know that one is weasily recognised and the other is stoatally different, but the sun was behind it and it was some distance away so I didn't get a good view. I think it's face was a bit stubbier than stoaty so maybe a weasel.

Weasel:

Stoat:

Hope this helps   ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1380 on: 31 July, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
Heaps of buzzards (boring I know, but they were all pretty low down today), a kestrel, an osprey and 7 seals.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1381 on: 02 August, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »
About 7 (I think) dolphin a couple of hundred meters offshore, surfing the boat's wake near Nissaki, Corfu. They really do give every appearance of doing it for fun.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1382 on: 02 August, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »
They do it on porpoise.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1383 on: 02 August, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »
They do it on porpoise.

You are Aperitif AICMFP
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1384 on: 02 August, 2010, 02:46:13 pm »
About 7 (I think) dolphin a couple of hundred meters offshore, surfing the boat's wake near Nissaki, Corfu. They really do give every appearance of doing it for fun.

Having a whale of a time.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1385 on: 03 August, 2010, 11:28:24 pm »
A pipistrelle or similar bat. Flying around inside the South Terminal baggage reclaim.....

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1386 on: 04 August, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »
Wesaw lots of stuff this weekend.

Watlington did its own brand of turning something fabulously magical like red kites into something so familiar and everyday ;D

And there were the pied wagtails, too.  They're always pretty.

Late at night, as we were heading for bed, Butterfly heard a noise behind our tent, and we found a little hedgehog feasting on the watermelon discarded by the teenagers.  Sadly, after a few seconds thinking about it, it walked off into the hedge.  We both reflected that it was a long time since we've seen hedgehogs, which seem to have been much more common in our youth.

Saturday night was also when I saw an owl swoop silently over the next field.  I'd hoped to see bats too, but not this weekend, I'm afraid.

Next day, when folk had gone, the bunnies crept back out onto the field.  I'm sure many campers will have encountered their little holes, or their leavings.  But they tend to stay in the lower field when there are campers about.

later, over the Chilterns, a bunny considered jumping into our front wheel, but I am pleased to say it reconsidered.

We saw a weasel, too, near Turville, but it was unfortunately less alive than the optimum. :(

Approaching the campsite in the unpromising position of being next to the M4, under the Heathrow flightpath, and in between Slough & Maidenhead, Butterfly noticed a small group of deer grazing in a field.  They were still there later, when we popped out shopping in the dark, and at least one was there the next morning when we set off.
Getting there...

« Reply #1387 on: 04 August, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »
On Monday I also saw a Kingfisher over the Thames near Hambledon Lock. It was magical, but Clarion was piloting and missed it. He did see the baby heron though. There were also some fabulous butterflies up towards Christmas Common and a heap of baby moorhens in a nest somewhere.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1388 on: 04 August, 2010, 03:54:36 pm »
All that lot, too! :)
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1389 on: 05 August, 2010, 09:53:32 pm »
These

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1390 on: 06 August, 2010, 09:16:50 am »
Amazing pictures. I particularly like the last one where one has his head cocked to one side looking at you.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1391 on: 06 August, 2010, 01:13:00 pm »
Stag party  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #1392 on: 06 August, 2010, 03:54:53 pm »
The one with his head cocked is saying, "Is it a gun? I'm not sure, it could just be a camera. I think it's a camera." and the ones in the background are saying "F*ck that - we're off, it could be a gun!".

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1393 on: 07 August, 2010, 06:43:38 pm »
I like the way he seems to be squinting, with one eye shut.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1394 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:49:26 am »
I like the way he seems to be squinting, with one eye shut.
He has a rechambered 7.62 SMLE rifle in that long grass and is drawing a bead......

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1395 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:57:41 am »
Sticklebacks.

I hadn't seen any for years, but recently, one of our dog walks, an ornamental garden with waterfall and artificial stream which had not been working for years, has seen the council turn the pump back on. The stream and the small pools are teeming with 10-spined sticklebacks. Quite nostalgic.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1396 on: 08 August, 2010, 10:48:47 am »
Last week in Germany (Düsseldorf) I think I saw a Nuthatch - is that likely?

On Friday, when out riding with Redfalo (who has just joined this forum) and his wife around Great Bromley we watched a stoat dragging a dead mouse across the road. Or its baby, or something. A stoat dragging something across the road. I said to Redfalo, "You'll never see that in London..."
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1397 on: 08 August, 2010, 11:53:50 am »
Momonga - Japanese dwarf flying squirrels. Seen by Mrs B at Nikko the last couple of nights. Japanese cuteness personified.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1398 on: 08 August, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »
On Holiday in Poolewe last week and from the cottage window we watched seals, otters, herons, various waders and an owl. Every time we looked out the window Loch Ewe looked different. Magical.

« Reply #1399 on: 08 August, 2010, 05:52:20 pm »
Moved a tray in that had been left to dry in the garden.
Small slow worm under it.  Not slow at all when I tried to get hold of it to move it to a safer place!

We know they're in the garden, but we don't see them that often.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."