Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1017727 times)

border-rider

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1400 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »
A stoat in the garden

Since Big Cat died the voles & woodmice populations have exploded; they used to be confined to the undergrowth and shrubberies, but now their holes are all over the grass.

« Reply #1401 on: 08 August, 2010, 06:09:19 pm »
Since Big Cat died the voles & woodmice populations have exploded; they used to be confined to the undergrowth and shrubberies, but now their holes are all over the grass.

Once the junior team are allowed out, that unconcerned bunch of rodents will become a rapid training exercise in tracking and hunting. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1402 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:05:32 pm »
Last week in Germany (Düsseldorf) I think I saw a Nuthatch - is that likely?

Don't see why not. The only one I've ever seen was in Bamberg.

border-rider

« Reply #1403 on: 08 August, 2010, 09:41:44 pm »
We get them on our seed feeders.  Lovely.

« Reply #1404 on: 09 August, 2010, 12:12:41 am »
Yesterday, while I was descending N. towards Shipton under Wychwood, a roe deer shot across the road about 2m in front of me. There was a memorable crunch of hooves on  loose stones as it kicked off from the roadside. I was mightily relieved that I hadn't arrived half a second earlier. I don't know much about deer, but it had the start of antlers about the size of its ears.

I'd had a similar encounter, but at a more comfortable 10m distance, around Basingstoke, riding S. last Monday.

Are roe deer common in those areas?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1405 on: 09 August, 2010, 12:19:00 am »
I think nuthatches are more common in West England 7 Wales than they are in the south-east although I have seen them in Hockley Woods, about 5 miles form Southend.

A pal of mine who lives in mid-Wales showed me his old post box, the slot of which had been sealed up with mud, except for a small hole. He quizzed me as to what it was, and I think he was quite surprised when I identified it as a nuthatch's nest.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1406 on: 09 August, 2010, 12:23:36 am »
Last week in Germany (Düsseldorf) I think I saw a Nuthatch - is that likely?

They're not uncommon around here - West Midlands suburbia. We have had them on our feeders, though not observed in the last couple of years. I've identified more by sound than sight.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1407 on: 09 August, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »
They're very common round here as well as in Central and Eastern Europe. I think of their call as sounding a bit electronic.

« Reply #1408 on: 10 August, 2010, 04:27:56 pm »
.. Shipton under Wychwood, a roe deer ...

I'd had a similar encounter, but at a more comfortable 10m distance, around Basingstoke, riding S. last Monday.

Are roe deer common in those areas?
Yes. They're common over the whole region. When commuting by train from Reading to Basingstoke, Newbury, & Oxford, at various times, I saw them very frequently, sometimes multiple sightings in one trip.

I've often seen them when out on the bike, sometimes crossing the road, & I once had a near miss as close as yours, when one roe deer leapt across the road in front of Adrian Lawson, & another between Adrian & me, near Beenham (a bit west of Reading). Luckily, my bowels were already empty.

Several witnesses to that near miss. It was a Reading CTC Wednesday evening ride, a few years ago.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #1409 on: 16 August, 2010, 09:42:20 pm »
Out today I saw this poor chap with 'angel wings' , for details see wikipedia or similar.

Snake

My Library
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

red marley

« Reply #1410 on: 17 August, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »
Not quite in the wild, but I made friends with a European Eagle Owl during this weekend's cycling tour of the Cotswolds.

border-rider

« Reply #1411 on: 17 August, 2010, 08:39:08 pm »
Ace

I love Eagle Owls :)

Damn big feet

Where was that ? Cotswold Wildlife Park ?

red marley

« Reply #1412 on: 17 August, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »
It was the Batsford Falconry Centre (beware atrocious web site design).

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1413 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:03:06 pm »
Ace

I love Eagle Owls :)

Damn big feet

Where was that ? Cotswold Wildlife Park ?

They are devvil birdz  ;)  (according to some, anyway ...)

« Reply #1414 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »
Not today I'm afraid but I've only just uploaded from the camera: a pair of keas by the entrance to the Homer Tunnel near Milford Sound

and a pesky turkey outside my sister-in-law's house

« Reply #1415 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:21:19 am »
Quite a lot of dead frogs this morning on the cummute. Not in the same numbers as springtime froggy-goes-a-courtin'-getting-run-over numbers.  It may be the start of a compressed plague season because last night we had the flooding.  Or maybe that was somehow the cause of the frog slaughter.  Most were fat, rather than flat, so had not been run over.

Chris S

« Reply #1416 on: 20 August, 2010, 08:47:01 pm »
I had forgotten the Secondary Slaughter that is late summer.

It was a warm, humid and wet morning here. By the time I went out at 9am, the roads were a froggy carnage  :(.

« Reply #1417 on: 22 August, 2010, 01:40:44 pm »
A flock of long-tailed tits, foraging in bushes beside the path we were walking along this morning. We stopped to watch them, & once we'd been standing still for a couple of minutes they ignored us, perching within feet of us making soft churring noises, & flying past very close.

Mrs B thinks they're cute.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1418 on: 23 August, 2010, 07:11:22 am »
These two were in an orchard belonging to a B&B. They were wild but not too scared to run away. The foal was bouncing around like Tigger most of the time.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1419 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:33:40 pm »
This:

Edited to add:

???

red marley

« Reply #1420 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:44:26 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1421 on: 24 August, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »
I had one of those on my arm in Wales last week. Pretty alarming when you don't actually feel it there but just look down and see it.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1422 on: 24 August, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1423 on: 24 August, 2010, 11:26:04 pm »
Last Saturday week actually: Charlotte and I were looking at some corvids near Mwnt and I couldn't be sure whether they were jackdaws or the rarer orange-billed coast-dwelling variety.

Charlotte's remark?
(click to show/hide)

Shocked, I was.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1424 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
An hour or less ago, camouflaged in the vine:

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.