Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1000008 times)

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1425 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:25:02 pm »
Just now a barn owl screeching away on the telegraph pole just outside our garden.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1426 on: 30 August, 2010, 05:44:45 pm »
Yesterday, on a bridlepath near Alfriston, a small sidewinding snake, which was too quick for me to rescue my phone from my pack.  He was no more than 5 inches long, a very dark green with a cream-coloured band just behind his head.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

border-rider

« Reply #1427 on: 30 August, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »
Just now a barn owl screeching away on the telegraph pole just outside our garden.

We had a little owl in our plum tree yesterday morning, in broad daylight

It seemed quite happy

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1428 on: 30 August, 2010, 10:26:03 pm »
On Saturday a kestrel flew over our house  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1429 on: 30 August, 2010, 10:52:31 pm »
Yesterday, on a bridlepath near Alfriston, a small sidewinding snake, which was too quick for me to rescue my phone from my pack.  He was no more than 5 inches long, a very dark green with a cream-coloured band just behind his head.

That sounds like a newly-hatched grass snake. I've never seen one side-winding but then I've never seen one so small. Maybe they change their means of locomotion as they get older?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1430 on: 30 August, 2010, 11:20:29 pm »
That sounds like a newly-hatched grass snake. I've never seen one side-winding but then I've never seen one so small. Maybe they change their means of locomotion as they get older?

I expect he was feeling very exposed on the stone flags by the foot-bridge and was improvising in the eagerness to find shelter.  It was a lovely sighting and I'm sad not to have captured a shot of it.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1431 on: 31 August, 2010, 08:30:57 pm »

We had a little owl in our plum tree yesterday morning, in broad daylight

It seemed quite happy

Little owls are often about during the day in a most un owl like fashion. Mind you our local barn owl was hunting during the day earlier in the year. Young to feed I should think.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1432 on: 01 September, 2010, 12:19:57 pm »
I was out in my boat on Sunday, when I saw a small [frantically searches for collective name] of ducks clustering on the river under an overhanging bramble bush.  They took it in turns to rear up out of the water, and pluck a blackberry from the bush.  They must've liked them, as they kept going back for more.

Fox in my garden on Tuesday.  By the time I'd switched the camera on, he'd seen my bright yellow jacket and scarpered.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1433 on: 01 September, 2010, 06:31:14 pm »

« Reply #1434 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »
On Saturday a kestrel flew over our house  :thumbsup:

A couple of weeks ago a kestrel flew into my house.  It actually flew into the living room window then dropped onto the window ledge and sat there looking in at me from about three feet away.  I tried to fire up the camera on my phone but it flew away before I could get a photo.  I wasn't too sure what kind of bird it was (other than a bird of prey) but a visit to the RSPB website convinced me that it was a kestrel.

Chris S

« Reply #1435 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:25:22 pm »
Tawny Owl on the telegraph pole - silouetted against the afterglow.

Also - a cloud of bats whizzing around the front garden. I've never found where they sleep - the loft I guess.

« Reply #1436 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:11:07 pm »
Frog on the doorstep. Just a little one.
Tried kissing it- no joy.

Chris N

« Reply #1437 on: 03 September, 2010, 09:50:25 am »
Loads over the last few days: buzzards, red deer, oystercatchers, rock pipits, grey seals, kestrels, a red squirrel and a golden eagle.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1438 on: 03 September, 2010, 01:20:38 pm »
Loads over the last few days: buzzards, red deer, oystercatchers, rock pipits, grey seals, kestrels, a red squirrel and a golden eagle.

In the Ashby de la Zouch area?

« Reply #1439 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:31:09 pm »
i saw a dead Mink today in the middle of a country lane....

Chris N

« Reply #1440 on: 03 September, 2010, 08:19:09 pm »
In the Ashby de la Zouch area?
;D

Arran, Kintyre and the west coast of Scotland. More buzzards, herons and another red squirrel today as we headed east towards Comrie, where I've seen green woodpeckers and can hear owls, pheasants and lots of woodpigeon.

« Reply #1441 on: 06 September, 2010, 05:27:07 pm »
A frog, in the boot of my car.

How it got there is left as an exercise for the reader. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1442 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:18:17 pm »
An absolutely terrifyingly enormous hairy spider, which barakta allowed to escape, and is now keeping the now legendary low profile somewhere in the tangle of dusty cables behind her desk.  It's biding its time and is going to kill us and eat us when we go to bed.   :-[

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1443 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:39:07 pm »
An absolutely terrifyingly enormous hairy spider, which barakta allowed to escape, and is now keeping the now legendary low profile somewhere in the tangle of dusty cables behind her desk.  It's biding its time and is going to kill us and eat us when we go to bed.   :-[
For some reason when I read this, this song popped into my head ...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oOHQs405XcU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/oOHQs405XcU&rel=1</a>
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

border-rider

« Reply #1444 on: 12 September, 2010, 06:25:37 pm »
A HUUUGE dragonfly patrolling outside our kitchen window, hunting wasps.

Biggest one I've ever seen.

And on the way home just now, 10 buzzards spiralling up on a thermal, all shouting their feathery heads off :)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1445 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »
S'funny, we saw a great big green dragonfly on Sunday clattering around, and then later in the afternoon several squadrons of Swifts swooshing and swifting around the Downs gobbling up flies and whatnot coming up off the ground from all the sheep poo, prior to saluting "Goodbye" to southern Britain for this year.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #1446 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:48:34 pm »
A dead housemartin which Mildred our big chicken then grabbed and proceeded to devour. Chickens are the avian equivalent of goldfish in that they have tiny brains and will eat anything.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1447 on: 15 September, 2010, 10:43:38 pm »
Mmm, goldfish omelette!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1448 on: 16 September, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »
Saw a red squirrel today while out for a cycle through some woods!

« Reply #1449 on: 16 September, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »
Last week whilst on a site visit for work the CCTV camera inspecting the culvert recorded what was either a large Mink or a small Otter. current opinion is that it probably was a young Otter. The ecologists will be going out next week to try to corroborate the poor video with prints or droppings.

This will be the first Otter recorded on this river since the 60s so the conservation team are rather excited.