Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1014694 times)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1450 on: 17 September, 2010, 05:45:21 pm »
2 buzzards in the fields opposite my lane, I thought I'd heard them recently but today was the 1st time I've seen any that close to home.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1451 on: 19 September, 2010, 10:57:37 am »
A large skein of geese flying in the direction of Englandshire yesterday.  Autumn has arrived !

A post script...
   Arrival of wild geese heralds onset of autumn - The Scotsman
Aero but not dynamic

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1452 on: 20 September, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »
A small group of 10 pinks over North Berwick this afternoon; swallows and house martins moving through.

LindaG

« Reply #1453 on: 20 September, 2010, 09:34:11 pm »
Riding back from Northallerton, I saw a small leaf blowing in the road and thought, "Those autumn leaves, they always look like little animals running in the road".

It was a little animal running in the road.

I stopped, and watched.  It was a tiny vole.  It zigzagged around the road.  There was a car coming.

Little Voley stopped under the instep of my left foot for a moment, and when the car had gone, ran into the verge.

I was reminded of the rabbit at the end of Peter Abelard, thrusting its head trustingly into his hand just before it died.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1454 on: 22 September, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »
Amazing! 22nd September. Swifts and swallows flapping and skimming around in the skies above Brighton, on avery warm day. Lovely.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

« Reply #1455 on: 22 September, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »
And now a buzzard has gorn across the sky. No wonder the Herring Gulls got all excited.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1456 on: 28 September, 2010, 07:13:19 pm »
Several hundred pink foot grazing in the fields next to my ride home this evening - the first time I've seen them this year.  In a few weeks time I'll be riding past them in the dark, just me, my Ixon IQ beam ( :thumbsup:) and the glorious sound of all of them flying off to their roosts.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1457 on: 28 September, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »
I've just found a Common Lizard in the garden (at least, that's wwhat I think it is)(I was looking for the local frog at the time) That's the first time I've ever seen one - global warming in Staffordshire?

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1458 on: 30 September, 2010, 07:29:05 pm »
Just outside my back door:
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #1459 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:15:59 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1460 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:46:24 am »
It's started!
Getting there...

« Reply #1461 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:30:19 pm »
So what's eating what?

« Reply #1462 on: 02 October, 2010, 08:32:07 am »
Isn't the big one a sexton beetle? They're grave diggers. The little ones are surely some kind of (making my skin crawl) spider mite.

« Reply #1463 on: 04 October, 2010, 06:22:16 pm »
Saw a young seagull today. Not so strange, living by the sea. This one was doing the padding the ground for worms thing. This morning it was doing it on the road. This afternoon it was on a car roof. No idea what it did for lunch.

Riggers

« Reply #1464 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:30:24 am »
BY ALL THAT'S HOLY! I'VE JUST SEEN A SWALLOW SKIMMING ACROSS THE SKY IN BRIGHTON!!!
7TH OCTOBER.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1465 on: 07 October, 2010, 09:41:52 am »
My magnolia is in flower.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1466 on: 07 October, 2010, 06:22:14 pm »
A roe deer. Looked quite young. It's normal to see them in the forest, but this one was in a field a good mile from the woods and very near the road. I shall take this as a sign of approaching winter (brr, it's six degrees today!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1467 on: 10 October, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »
BY ALL THAT'S HOLY! I'VE JUST SEEN A SWALLOW SKIMMING ACROSS THE SKY IN BRIGHTON!!!
7TH OCTOBER.

I don't think that's terribly unusual.

I didn't see any swallows today so they may well have taken advantage of the north wind and buggered off.

The latest in the year I have ever seen a swallow / house martin / swift was a pair of house martins on 20th November 1976 on Westcliff sea front. That was an absolutely freak incident though and I've never seen them later than about the third week in October otherwise.

According to South East Essex RSPB Local Group - Latest Bird Reports, several swallows were seen yesterday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Riggers

« Reply #1468 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:41:09 am »
No, perhaps not, but given the crap weather around September and distinct lack of sightings, I thought the buggers had all buggered off. It was probably just our southern johnnies. The one I saw, and the House Martin yesterday, were most likely our northern johnnies making their way down for the trip abroad.

Mind you, the way the wind was going yesterday I wouldn't be at all surprised if they weren't blown along to Cornwall.

« Reply #1469 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:52:40 am »
Probably. Our housemartins only left a few weeks ago them another small batch turned up a week later presumably on their way south from further north.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1470 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »
My magnolia is in flower.

So is my ceanothus.  Wha'gwaan'?

« Reply #1471 on: 11 October, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »
Spotted my first ever nuthatch visiting out bird feeder  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1472 on: 11 October, 2010, 04:36:25 pm »

They are quite violent, aren't they?

Have you ever seen a greater spotted woodpecker on a bird feeder? They really give it some welly. :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1473 on: 11 October, 2010, 04:48:40 pm »

They are quite violent, aren't they?

Have you ever seen a greater spotted woodpecker on a bird feeder? They really give it some welly. :D

we've got one in the garden, vicious looking bugger it is too. 

I saw what I think was a red kite on my run yesterday, bloody huge bird of prey shaped bird, with reddish wings but I didnt see any white feathers on the underside of the wings.  It came out of the tree as I ran under it, and flapped slowly about 50 yards ahead of me till it drifted across to the other corner of the field. I'd heard there were a couple of pairs living round here but hadnt seen anything that close before. 

It was here, give or take.   

« Reply #1474 on: 11 October, 2010, 06:27:39 pm »
On yesterdays ride a very white looking wasp landed on my bars briefly, not sure if it was infected or going mouldy but there was just a hint of yellow and black on the underneath.

I also saw a very dark plumaged pheasant in a hedgerow.