Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 1016158 times)

corshamjim

Re: Seen today
« Reply #1800 on: 22 April, 2011, 08:37:35 pm »
A buzzard and little baby rabbit.  Not together though, so ok for the rabbit.

« Reply #1801 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »
Lots and lots of hares, 2 buzzards, 2 red kites.   I think it must be a very good year for hares, I see them on every ride!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1802 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:41:19 pm »
A buzzard. Over Gatwick. Bit far East, but not the first i've seen round here.

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #1803 on: 23 April, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »
A couple of whitethroats screachting away in darkest Chatham. Nice birds, shame about their song.
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

« Reply #1804 on: 23 April, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »
A pair of great crested grebes busy building a nest, in the middle of Reading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1805 on: 23 April, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »
Lots of very cute rabbits!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1806 on: 23 April, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »
Swallows, at last!

« Reply #1807 on: 23 April, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »

Lesser spotted woodpecker

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1808 on: 23 April, 2011, 07:12:16 pm »

Oo where? I've never seen a lesser spotted.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1809 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »
I have, in two places. One was in Hungary, but the other was in the Stodmarsh reserve in East Kent. They are as small as a robin.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?o=RrzKj&pic_id=519945&v=0&size=large

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1810 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:32:21 pm »
There were some small dying elms adjacent to my brother's house (I think there still are some) and a few years ago he had a few sightings as some (a pair I think) pecked under the loose bark for insects.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1811 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:00:44 am »
Just back from a glorious week in Dumfries & Galloway. Wall to wall sunshine, temps in the high teens/low twenties, masses of wild flowers and summer migrants. The only sign that it was still only April was that many of the trees were still bare. Amongst the wildlife spotted were pied flycatchers, ospreys, whitethroats, blackcaps, nuthatches, plenty of swallows and willow warblers, and this chap, seen near New Abbey...

Also several sightings of red squirrels in the garden of the cottage in which we were staying  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1812 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:11:53 am »
It's a lovely part of the country. We cycled across D & G on our way from Lowestoft to Ardnamurchan.  I must get around to spending a week or so there. I understand that even in that part of the world the dreaded midge still makes its presence felt so perhaps a week there in the summer is a  bad idea.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #1813 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:20:03 am »
I understand that even in that part of the world the dreaded midge still makes its presence felt so perhaps a week there in the summer is a  bad idea.
We've found most bits of it are relatively ok for midges, it's just the forest areas that can be bad.  I've found the clegs to be more of a problem than the midges.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #1814 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:55:01 am »

Outside the house were I live in south of Ely, pure chance, looked out the window and thought GS woodpecker, but then realised no red, and smaller than blackbird.

~Today saw loads of Hares, a Barn Owl and Hobby. And some lesser spotted twitchers, coffee stop at Welney, they've got a Blue Throat at the moment.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1815 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:59:32 am »
A deer thing, last night on the road between Bibury and Barnsley. Scared and little, it clattered away off down the road as I passed it.
It is simpler than it looks.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1816 on: 24 April, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »

Outside the house were I live in south of Ely, pure chance, looked out the window and thought GS woodpecker, but then realised no red, and smaller than blackbird.

~Today saw loads of Hares, a Barn Owl and Hobby. And some lesser spotted twitchers, coffee stop at Welney, they've got a Blue Throat at the moment.
look at the pic I took I linked to above. The other difference is that the GSW has wing patches, while the LSW has a sort of ladder of stripes up its back.

« Reply #1817 on: 24 April, 2011, 03:54:11 pm »

Yep, thats it

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #1818 on: 24 April, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »
Just a slowworm today.

Never seen lesser spotted woodpecker. Did see black woodpecker before on a ride - they're huge!  (pita to get a photo though)
AndyM

andym

• Expat Cyclist
    • AndysRockets
« Reply #1819 on: 25 April, 2011, 11:10:38 pm »
And another slow worm.

And a huge bird on a bit of dead tree, right above the path in the forest, 10 paces in front of me!  Anyone know if there are red kites in Germany? Of all the pics I've found, that seems to be the closest match.
AndyM

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1820 on: 25 April, 2011, 11:13:31 pm »
There are. We saw a lot of black kites in the Rhein and Mosel areas last May/June.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1821 on: 26 April, 2011, 06:30:57 pm »
And another slow worm.

And a huge bird on a bit of dead tree, right above the path in the forest, 10 paces in front of me!  Anyone know if there are red kites in Germany? Of all the pics I've found, that seems to be the closest match.

There are a lot of red kites there, indeed.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1822 on: 30 April, 2011, 02:29:11 pm »
Can you believe it, another slowworm?

This one was in three pieces, a major piece with the head, very much alive, and its tail in two bits, one of which was still twisting. A magpie was feeding on it, of course on the head and body part, so I took that bit off the road and put it into the long grass where it might survive, and left the tail for tyhe bird.

« Reply #1823 on: 30 April, 2011, 05:21:21 pm »

stoat bouncing along a footpath

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #1824 on: 30 April, 2011, 09:39:50 pm »
Moving a load of stuff in the log grass bit of the garden we (self and the two smaller gears) found a total of seven slow worms in a couple of square metres. One gave birth to a clutch of babies on my son's hand and, when put in the grass, gathered them up into a gelatinous ball and slithered off. Only one of the seven had a tail missing - it had healed over so was an oldish loss. Often find one or two slow worms when (infrequently) strimming this part of the garden but amazed to find so many today.