Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254089 times)

Hillbilly

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #250 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »
Rode the Reliable yesterday.  A very nice rural route through the heart of Sussex, which offers a real contrast to my own events.  I found it hilly in the first 65 km, with a handful of climbs that had the front wheel dancing off the tarmac, but with a decent stretch (15km or so) of flat stuff on the southern edge that helped to claw back some time.  The last 15km was a bit of a rollercoaster, but not horrendously so.  I suspect I'll ride it again later this year or sometime next, when it will hopefully be less breezy and the roads a little drier.

I've started to outline an article for Arrivee, albeit it includes the Reliable as one ride of several (the focus is on events in the South East and how it offers attractive, varied and enjoyable cycling).

Now pondering whether to enter the Crown and/or the White Hill grimpeur that are being run over the next month or so, in the name of "research" as well as "enjoyment". [Edit: Crown entered, decision pending on WHG]

« Reply #251 on: 07 July, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »
According to Met Office / BBC looks like the weather may behave tomorrow.

Martin

« Reply #252 on: 07 July, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »
and the series claims its first two GdSRTY  :)

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #253 on: 08 July, 2012, 07:43:47 pm »
According to Met Office / BBC looks like the weather may behave tomorrow.
And wasn't it lovely? Here is Martin waiting with goodies at the finish and sheltering from the blistering sun in his gazebo which (he says) he put up all by himself.

Martin

« Reply #254 on: 08 July, 2012, 11:05:57 pm »
the Magick Gazebo TM worked in scaring off the rain clouds for a while. We had an impressive 14/19 starters on the day who all finished with few visitations; Brunch Baps seemed to go down very well  :P

It's with great sadness that I'm giving up the Corker as it does some great lanes and stiff climbs with fantastic views on a good day; I have the gpx and route sheet if anyone wants to do it for a hard but very satisfying DIY

but it will be replaced next summer, probably with a calendar version of The Reliable

« Reply #255 on: 09 July, 2012, 08:44:13 am »
Many thanks Martin.

Apart from the first 30km the weather did behave although the initial rain made the descents a bit more challenging. The sun was out for the climb up to Goodwood to make the most of the views and it was a decent day after that. I think this was my fourth or fifth Corker (2 under Mr H) and it was good to tick off the climbs in the last 30 km, Glen Lea, Tennysons Lane, Quell Lane and Bexley Hill.

« Reply #256 on: 09 July, 2012, 11:32:24 pm »

Hello everyone, looking forward to seeing you all for The Crown on Sunday - let's not talk about the weather eh? Still possible to accommodate a few more if you're still dithering, but we have a healthy sized field as it stands.

As some of you know, I've been off the bike for a while this year after puncturing a lung so haven't been grunting up too many hills recently - but rest assured I've personally checked the route - and even thrown my mobile phone away somewhere along the route for some added interest for a lucky finder! (clue: somewhere between Dover and Hawkinge).

Paul

aregister

« Reply #257 on: 10 July, 2012, 08:40:20 am »
...and even thrown my mobile phone away somewhere along the route for some added interest for a lucky finder! (clue: somewhere between Dover and Hawkinge).
Did you chuck it away to save weight? Then, between Dover and Hawkinge, I can think of two places it might be...

Hillbilly

« Reply #258 on: 15 July, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »
Missed the crown this morning in order that i could properly test part of my 200km (Around Weald).

I really do have a treat lined up for you grimpeur fans.

aregister

« Reply #259 on: 15 July, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
Missed the crown this morning in order that i could properly test part of my 200km (Around Weald).

I really do have a treat lined up for you grimpeur fans.
That really does sound ominous.

Here is PaulOlmo at the St Margaret's Bay control (thanks to Paul and helpers!) at today's Crown:

« Reply #260 on: 15 July, 2012, 05:45:53 pm »
Quote from: aregister link=topic=1254.msg1272325#msg1272325

Here is PaulOlmo at the St Margaret's Bay control (thanks to Paul and helpers!) at today's Crown:

[/quote
Did anyone notice the torso less legs in tights on the extreme left of Andrew's picture?Were they self supporting?

« Reply #261 on: 15 July, 2012, 06:01:28 pm »
It was good to have a dry day at last although the recent heavy rain had washed a lot of debris onto the lanes. It wasn't long (4Km) before I punctured, a big piece of flint had lodged itself into the front tyre.

Caught up with Cyklisten just before the first checkpoint and rode round with him which was mutually beneficial as I knew the route and he was in better shape than me.

Some good views from the White Cliffs on the way to St Ms but what was noticeable was the the lack of wind on the cliff top road on the return leg. I was prepared to sit behind Cyklisten on this section but when I noticed the lack of wind I done a few nominal turns on the front.

Started to feel better the longer the ride went on and once Kingsmill Down was behind us it was just the Hastingleigh climb then downhill (well mostly) to the finish.

Many thanks to Paul and helpers for a great day.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
« Reply #262 on: 15 July, 2012, 11:54:41 pm »
The opening kilometres of this one were like a scene from today's Tour de France with punctures left right and centre though tacks weren't the cause! Liberal scatterings of gravel and sharp flints had whittled away a the 'peleton' as I worked my way through (faffing in the car park and a recalcitrant GPS conspired to make me Lanterne Rouge from the off). The Crown has always been a favourite ride of mine and I was pleased when Paul first mentioned reviving it after it went missing from the calendar. A minor change to accommodate a new Start/Finish (at a rather swish Scout Hut) but basically the same ride as devised by Pat C and what better way to ride it than with the man himself?! I passed Pat as he was fixing a punctured front tyre and we teamed up at the next control. His rear tyre was in good shape as I can testify having spent a good deal of the ride glued to it! His 'nominal' efforts on the front had me close to the 'red zone' (especially on the way back) but I was grateful for his extensive local knowledge. Not just for directions (I know the route quite well) but for details "careful on this next bend" etc.
The scenery (both kinds) was splendid and the weather was kind (not too hot - ideal for climbing :thumbsup:) with no rain  :o 
Many thanks to Paul and the team for a well organised day out! Now, where are my compression tights?  ;D

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

« Reply #263 on: 16 July, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »

The Crown.

Here's a link to the best of the photos taken at the last control at Kingsmill Down. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39575473@N02/sets/72157630603906770/

« Reply #264 on: 16 July, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »
Excellent weather, an interesting route and soup at the finish. Thanks for all those (esp. the first) to Paul and his helpers.
Next time I won't try to smile when I spot the photographer, it doesn't work. Maybe I should claim that I was admiring the view behind me in my wing-mirror.
Who else mistook the parked car a bit further down for the control and hoped the pain would end there?
I claim it as my first high-speed audax as I took the extremely fast train from St Pancras to Ashford International. A bit anxious whether Eurostar rules for bike transport applied but ample room for two audax bikes in the usual wheelchair space.

Martin

« Reply #265 on: 19 July, 2012, 01:40:06 pm »
I'll be putting the finishing touches to my proposed MSH based "Cob and Hob" perm on Saturday; worth at least 2.25AAA maybe more. East Grinstead or Devils Dyke (google Hob) start.

Hillbilly

« Reply #266 on: 19 July, 2012, 04:31:10 pm »
+1 - 1 = 0.

Look forward to it, as I rather like the MSH.  It also means I won't feel guilty retiring one of my grimpeur perms (or possibly merging the two 100s I currently have into one). A net gain of 0.5AAA points though.

Albeit with a further 3.25AAA from my 200km perm, when registered.  So a net gain of 3.75AAA.

Martin

« Reply #267 on: 19 July, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
Chapeau to latest GdS Nick Davison; he was wondering how to go about obtaining proof of doing the IoW Randonnee until I bumped into   
him at one of the controls

Martin

« Reply #268 on: 21 July, 2012, 09:46:40 pm »
+1 - 1 = 0.

Look forward to it, as I rather like the MSH.  .

Naah; too hard; nice views but you might as well forgoe the AAA ride another 65k and do the Ditchling Devil; easier. Anyone who wants a painful 2.5AAA DIY apply here

Hillbilly

« Reply #269 on: 22 July, 2012, 07:01:01 am »
Had jolly good fun sweating around the southern half of the Around Weald route. Some stiff climbs but interspersed with some fast stretches to allow those worried about the clock an opportunity to get some time in the bank.  I actually really like how this route has panned out and so it will definitely be converted into a permanent as well.

[Also found my smartphone app "Whip It", which is motion activated, had a rather appropriate knack of playing a whip cracking sound effect as my saddlebag swung around due to grimping up some of the steeper climbs  ;D ]

Martin

« Reply #270 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
And 2 more GdS to add Jonathan W and Nicola S; gonna need to order some more badges at this rate

The Reliable will make its calendar debut on Sat 25th May 2013; entry a rock bottom £2 including some food and drink :)

Hillbilly

« Reply #271 on: 06 August, 2012, 05:45:27 pm »
Rode the Kidds Toys route again on Saturday.  Route sheet finalised and will be made available later this week.  It's a challenging route, but (in my humble opinion) is the best 100km route with AAA points I could have come up with in the South East.  I am rather proud of it and was genuinely excited riding round anticipating the experience of those who will be soaking it in at the end of the month.

Around Weald is attracting a healthy stream of entries, more than I expected.  To the extent that both it (and by extension Kidds Toys, which is the Around Weald without the jaunt from Mayfield to Battle) have crept up from basic events.  Although still not yet to the extent of putting on a hall - a pub finish is still on the cards.  I suspect the 200 is going to be many riders' hardest ride this year, at least in the South East, and not to be underestimated.  But fun and with some seriously good cycling.

Don't be shy entering - the more of you there are, the better it will be.

Martin

« Reply #272 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:56:57 pm »
to confirm; along with the AUK change of season dates the GdS will be moving to a Jan 1st to Dec 31st calendar from err last November. It made no sense having 2 calendar events at the beginning of the season and then none for 3 months

Martin

« Reply #273 on: 07 August, 2012, 08:54:52 pm »
I rode Kidd's Toys as a DIY today as I'll be riding the 200 on the day;

it's a tough but very rewarding route with views from Ashdown Forest, the North Downs both ways (I saw the QE bridge) the Greensand Ridge and just general lovely Southern scenery  :)

students of Billy's perms Down to Downs and AAA Milne will find some familiar roads but also a few surprises including a revered hill from another popular GdS won't spoil the surprise, and lots of flat stuff to recover.

Martin

« Reply #274 on: 13 August, 2012, 07:55:05 pm »
Who's up for Tour of the Hills? one of the flagship GdS rides (of the 100s) Not ridden it for 7 years; never seem to be in the country until this year, and the route has changed since I last rode (dumbed down?)

I'll be ECE'ing for hopefully even more AAAs  :)