Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254199 times)

Mrs Blacksheep

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #350 on: 11 September, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

'Mrs B; your etrex needs urgent surgery (or euthanasia) as I said on Saturday; it ain't supposed to do that!'

Well it's gone back to it's maker yesterday, if it comes back doing the same, it's off to E-bay for good.  And will
be replaced for a younger model prob the 800.

Oh, I'm talking Etrex here not BlackSheep!!!!!!!!!

Bfn

Martin

« Reply #351 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
Rode the Reliable twice (each way round) on Saturday, was thinking of adding this format as a 200 to next year's calendar event (The Reliable-er) but a real faff with info controls. I didn't find it much different either way round. Anyone reversing this in the dark over the winter DO NOT finish down Palesgate Lane and the ford, carry straight on into Crowborough then down the hill to the station (same amount of non-climbing!)

Met mmmmmmartin on his single loop on the reversed second half, hope you found my cryptic East Hoathly info OK (cryptic as in the route doesn't even go through East Hoathly any more!  :-[)

Hillbilly

« Reply #352 on: 24 September, 2012, 01:29:48 pm »
A possibility, for those wanting a 200, is Reliable + AAA Milne.  Crowborough as an intermediate control.  Has an advantage that AAA Milne has no infos.

Although consideration would need to be given as to how it is recorded, given constraints over riding two different events on the same date (even if consecutively), as I understand it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #353 on: 24 September, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »
I did a bit of research on Saturday and moved a step forward towards the AAAnfractous, a 3AAA 200km GPS DIY Perm.

You know that pan-flat run out to Marlow that starts the ride? Well, it isn't anymore....

Martin

« Reply #354 on: 24 September, 2012, 02:16:19 pm »
A possibility, for those wanting a 200, is Reliable + AAA Milne.  Crowborough as an intermediate control.  Has an advantage that AAA Milne has no infos.

Although consideration would need to be given as to how it is recorded, given constraints over riding two different events on the same date (even if consecutively), as I understand it.

I did think about Down to Downs and Reliable with a short train journey between the two *. Combining them as per your suggestion would involve a few extra hills.

Possible Turners Hill based Reliable 2 in the pipeline when I get the chance to go out just for fun to check the climbing  :-\

* for those who haven't tried it the Reliable starts from a station with a regular service to That London

Martin

« Reply #355 on: 02 October, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »
who's up for Hengist's Hills Sunday?

a great event; lots of to-ing and fro-ing from Checkpoint Timmy; not too hard either

I'll be ECEing; not being extreme just that it being October I have pesky things to do like ride and organise my own event on the other weekends this month  :-\

aregister

• On entre OK, on sort KO
« Reply #356 on: 03 October, 2012, 07:35:47 am »
who's up for Hengist's Hills Sunday?

a great event; lots of to-ing and fro-ing from Checkpoint Timmy; not too hard either
Me. And usually good food, too: fruit salad, homemade vegetarian chili, homemade cakes.

« Reply #357 on: 03 October, 2012, 07:52:44 am »
1st event of the season for me!

Also need it to get my (totally unofficial) GdS Kent using calendar rides.

Martin

« Reply #358 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:47:50 am »
1st event of the season for me!

Also need it to get my (totally unofficial) GdS Kent using calendar rides.

But not the new GdS season, that doesn't start until 1.1.13

I'm going for "Generic GdS" 5 of the same perm, have done Reliable and Down to Downs just need one more AAA Milne before the end of December

NB New medals on order, new price £2.50  :(

« Reply #359 on: 07 October, 2012, 06:40:13 pm »
Hengists Hills

That was a tough one, but aren't they all, made a bit easier by the perfect weather. Tim had a good turnout with the usual GdSers and also a number of local club riders and while most of the course had recovered from Friday nights deluge some of the minor lanes were a bit dodgy. Spent most of the ride about 25 metres behind Aregister and Mike S catching them up a few times when we hit a steep one and then drifting backwards on the flat.   

aregister

« Reply #360 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »
Hengists Hills

That was a tough one, but aren't they all, made a bit easier by the perfect weather. Tim had a good turnout with the usual GdSers and also a number of local club riders and while most of the course had recovered from Friday nights deluge some of the minor lanes were a bit dodgy. Spent most of the ride about 25 metres behind Aregister and Mike S catching them up a few times when we hit a steep one and then drifting backwards on the flat.
A lovely ride which I've done four times now, but sill I have trouble seeing where I am on the routesheet. Luckily PatC and MikeS were around to guide me through all the grassy triangles.
Hollingbourne Hill seemed not so bad at the end, but I think that was because my front tyre blowout 8k from finish gave my legs a rest.

Martin

« Reply #361 on: 07 October, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »
I ece'd Hengists from home and back to Tonbridge (well why not hit the ground running? AAA GdS and RRTY all in my first event of the season) but my last few weekends and overgeared bike not to mention a very unseasonal early morning frost made it a very hard day out;

Thanks to Tim and J; a really nice little event with a sting in the tail  :thumbsup:

Hillbilly

« Reply #362 on: 01 November, 2012, 11:45:31 am »
Update: I have submitted my Around Weald Expedition 200km (actually 208km shortest - if you like cycling on busy A roads! - and 215km actual if follow the "optional" route sheet) as a permanent.  If accepted and when published, it will extend the choice of GdS eligible events to include an off the shelf BR with distance points.  Same as the calendar event, but with Selsdon rather than Keston and Swanley rather than Eynsford.  Also, Groombridge is simply lopped off and the route goes direct to Langton.  Not accepting entries yet, but expect this will "open for business" before Xmas.

I've decided not to offer the Kidds Toys as a permanent alongside my current roster of events, as I believe this would result in too many 100km permanent rides in the same area doing similar hills/lanes.  I am, however, instead going to extend the route of one of AAA Milne and Kidds Toys to an imperial century, meaning I will eventually offer a 50km, 2x100km, 150km(ish) and 200km hilly events in the South East.

Ssssh.  Between you and me, I may add a 300 at some point based on an amalgam of events.

Martin

« Reply #363 on: 01 November, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »
just finished my 5th ride for a first GdS of the new AUK year (although it does not count as a 2013 GdS as that does not start until 1.1.13) with a ride round the Reliable Riverable

seriously crap lanes today; fairly limited but quite a few km of rivers hidden potholes leaf mould and general crud; anyone planning to ride after today please bring decent tyres and keep an eagle eye on the road. At the risk of promoting the competition I reckon you'd have a much nicer ride on Down to Downs at least until the roads clear

A reminder that the route will be at its very best for the Calendar event next May 25th (B/H weekend; Saturday so as to leave y'all 2 clear days)

no hot dogs; planning something more Spring-like

Hillbilly

« Reply #364 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »

Martin

« Reply #365 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:18:28 pm »
I've added some 2012 trivia to the GdS webpage; anyone thought of another obscure way of getting that coveted pin let me know and you will be included;

so far I've avoided a Folder GdS  ::-)

Hillbilly

« Reply #366 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:56:39 pm »
With the emergence of AWE perm, a BRinG dS will be  possible in 2013...

A 300km (c. 5AAA) might be available next year for variety (although I suspect the number interested  riders is maybe one at the moment...)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #367 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:56:13 pm »
anyone thought of another obscure way of getting that coveted pin let me know and you will be included
A winter GdS, ie in the Jan, feb, mar, oct, nov, dec months.

Although to be honest, these are cracking rides for winter, you need not start at silly oclock and you are back home in time for tea and medals.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #368 on: 01 November, 2012, 10:54:43 pm »
anyone thought of another obscure way of getting that coveted pin let me know and you will be included

well those months include 5 calendar events so there could be quite a few qualifiers

« Reply #369 on: 03 November, 2012, 11:21:03 pm »

well those months include 5 calendar events so there could be quite a few qualifiers

Ah ha, and here's two events all ready to rock and roll my dear Gds'ers-

Hills and Mills 102 km 19th January 2013 - http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-77/

Mad Jacks JSM 120 km 16th February 2013- http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-85/

Route sheets ready to download, both events limited to 50 riders, entries starting to roll in, so when they are gone there gone my friends.

GPX files from 2012 now obsolete for both events, as new Cafe controls, thanks El for all your mobile controls especially on all thirteen Mad Jacks  :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Hillbilly

« Reply #370 on: 04 November, 2012, 08:40:08 am »
Did the AWE perm route yesterday, and all is good.  Still the same mix of easy and hard roads on this mainly rural route.  Adding Selsdon and Swanley mean a little more riding in urban areas, and both involve a little more climbing that the 2012 calendar version, but nothing that a bit of sweat and toil can't overcome.  Selsdon has the useful feature of allowing a better descent off the North Downs than the 2012 calendar event.

I had the benefit of seeing early fireworks over London from the descent to Eynsford, and over Surrey from Toys Hill well (the route now descends via Puddledock Lane).  I can't promise future riders will have the same view!

I also discovered the revitalising power of (a) a Starbar + a can of Lucozade orange, and (b) chocolate marzipan from Lidl.  Zoom zoom.

AAA confirmed as 3.5AAA by the AAA overlord (3,450m of climb).  Will no doubt be listed soon.

aregister

« Reply #371 on: 04 November, 2012, 10:29:31 am »
Did the AWE perm route yesterday, and all is good. 
Thanks for organising this.

I had the benefit of seeing early fireworks over London from the descent to Eynsford, and over Surrey from Toys Hill well (the route now descend via Puddledock Lane).  I can't promise future riders will have the same view!
Did you see the burning effigy of Lance Armstrong coming back to Edenbridge?

Hillbilly

« Reply #372 on: 04 November, 2012, 11:00:55 am »
Missed that, mainly because I wasn't aware of it!  Drat.

Edenbridge was full of people milling around in the streets, the roads being more or less closed to transitory traffic.  The reek of gunpowder was unmissible, and a veil of smoke hung in the air.  A lone kebab van in the car park was unloading the smell of greasy burgers, but I surprised myself by managing to resist the lure, which was tough as I was as hungry as a randonneur should be after half a day in the saddle. 

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #373 on: 04 November, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »
Edenbridge was full of people milling around in the streets, the roads being more or less closed to transitory traffic.  The reek of gunpowder was unmissible, and a veil of smoke hung in the air.  A lone kebab van in the car park was unloading the smell of greasy burgers
Isn't Edenbridge always like that?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Hillbilly

« Reply #374 on: 05 November, 2012, 10:51:48 am »
AWE lives.

Whilst I would suggest caution at a time when heavy frost and ice is a threat, I am accepting entries (but you many need to be patient whilst cards are printed, although we can come to an temporary "arrangement"). 

There are a large number of possible start locations (Edenbridge, Selsdon, Swanley, Battle and Forest Row are on route; Sevenoaks, Wadhurst, Warlingham and Tunbridge Wells are feasible "intermediate" towns) many of which have half decent rail connections.

Those who have done the calendar event should know what to expect and, in general, it would be possible to ride this event in the dark days of the next few months (indeed, weather permitting, I hope to use it as the basis for my own BR-AARTY-GdS).  Experienced randonneurs will appreciate that there are a few lanes that would need caution if Jack Frost is out nipping at your wheels and heels, but these can be avoided by taking A roads and B roads with a little ahead planning ~(but may involve more climbing and/or more distance, whilst not being as "pleasant").