Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254163 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #600 on: 08 February, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
Some photos from recent events added here;

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Great photos, about time that Org bloke got out of Sussex again. I hear RT is out of hibernation too  ;D
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #601 on: 01 March, 2014, 08:12:23 am »
Who's up for Lasham Loop next Saturday?

A lovely ride, not noticeably hilly and a pleasant change from MJJSM;

ECE home for me as usual  ::-)

« Reply #602 on: 02 March, 2014, 08:23:46 am »
Was hoping to do that one but public transport options to the start from London look difficult...

« Reply #603 on: 02 March, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
Yes, trains look a bit broken, don't they.

I'm half contemplating train to Guildford (50km from the start) or Alton (30km) - or I could just man up and ride the whole way (110km). Or I could stay in bed on Saturday morning.

Martin

« Reply #604 on: 16 March, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »
just back from the Kent Invicta 100k Grimpeur; absolutely stonking day with a huge YACF presence including some Flatlanders :thumbsup:

roads were mostly perfect although a few mega potholes and very skoggy bits; I retained my cred (just) in not using the triple on the easier second half

the event was sadly mired for a couple of riders by the actions of one motorist (can't say too much as this is public but it all looked very ugly having arrived at the aftermath while attendance by the Ler was awaited)

thanks Patrick FWN and all the other helpers  :thumbsup:

« Reply #605 on: 24 April, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »
New Grimpeur du Sud perm........

'The Coastguard' 100km from Challock near Ashford, Kent, almost the same route as last Julys Forts & Ferries 100km calendar event. 

Route as follows  Challock-Bridge (an alternative start)-Alkham-St Margarets Bay-Eythorne-Woolage Village-Bridge-Crundale-Wye-Challock.

See AUK website for more details http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PC09/  (full details, GPX file, paypal entry to be updated shortly)

Martin

« Reply #606 on: 24 April, 2014, 11:22:27 pm »
a reminder that the IOW 100km Randonnee next Sunday the 4th is a GdS qualifier; and if you do it as a DIY by gpx you will also get 1.5AAA  :thumbsup:

pre-registration is full this year but you can enter on the day (I think pre-registering saves about 5 seconds!)

www.cycleisland.co.uk

always enjoys a big AUK presence; I'll be starting from Wooton (and maybe pushing the boat out and camping there too)

« Reply #607 on: 19 May, 2014, 02:26:02 pm »
Is it just me or has the GdS website gone a bit awol?

Martin

« Reply #608 on: 19 May, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »
Is it just me or has the GdS website gone a bit awol?

no it's not just you  :( I thought my pc was playing up (WinXP not compatible with anything these days)

I'll get onto my IT Lead....

« Reply #609 on: 09 June, 2014, 05:17:02 pm »

Rode my 2009 event 'Ide Hill Grimpeur' as a DIY GPS yesterday starting from the most northerly point (Shire Lane) near/in Green St Green which yielded 2 AAAs over 108km. Route was Green St Green-Downe-Ide Hill-Blackham-Hartfield-Fairwarp-Burnt Oak-Dewlands Hill-Crowboro'-Withyham-Hever-Toys Hill-Cudham-Green St Green.   

If you fancy a go the brevet number is 4186 and the link to the google map reference is (not the route just the shortest distance)

http://goo.gl/maps/kzB9c

I can give you a link to Garmin Connect and also provide the route sheet if required. 

Martin

« Reply #610 on: 15 June, 2014, 09:05:06 am »

Rode my 2009 event 'Ide Hill Grimpeur' as a DIY GPS yesterday

didn't the original do Hogtrough Hill? I rediscovered that climb's dubious pleasures yesterday without a triple :'(

« Reply #611 on: 15 June, 2014, 01:45:39 pm »
Yeah, Hogtrough Hill becomes the last (major climb) if you start from Green St Green. Toys Hill swiftly followed by Hogtrough is quite a finale on a hot day.   

Martin

« Reply #612 on: 25 July, 2014, 12:43:17 am »
bit of a quiet period for the GdS calendar events; next up Tour of the Hills which I'll miss  :( then The Crown in September and 3 in October; but you all have until 31.12.14 to get the 5.

and still about 20 coveted gold badges left WTGTG  ;)

anyone fancy organising a 200 next year?  :)

Martin

« Reply #613 on: 08 September, 2014, 11:59:14 am »
Who's up for The Crown this Sunday? am ECE'ing over to the start

« Reply #614 on: 09 September, 2014, 08:20:21 am »
I have entered this, see you there on Sunday  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #615 on: 13 September, 2014, 04:01:42 pm »
I've just entered the Crown for tomorrow.  Is there a GPS track anywhere, by any chance?

EDIT; just found this.  Think it is right.  Will have a look over it.
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5948190

It doesn't seem to say where this actually starts from, but there is a Scout Hut on streetview close to where the map says it starts from, so I assume it's there.  Anyone know for definite...?

« Reply #616 on: 13 September, 2014, 06:29:02 pm »
Yes it is at the Scout Hut, postcode TN24 9BH.

If you want to pm me your email address I will forward the info sheet to you.

« Reply #617 on: 13 September, 2014, 07:04:15 pm »
Thanks; PM sent
Frank

Martin

« Reply #618 on: 13 September, 2014, 09:59:52 pm »
I've uploaded the track for this year's Mid Sussex Hillier (the 2012 route, best version of all IMO), will be route checking on Sat subject to being allowed up Ditchling Beacon along with the Tour of Britain

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-228/#more

and what a fantastic day for it  8) caugh the ToB twice Ditchling Beacon was full on and amazing  :thumbsup:

route sheet now on online; will update the Hilly in a couple of weeks

Martin

« Reply #619 on: 15 September, 2014, 10:24:20 am »
Rode a well attended Crown yesterday; big field most of whom passed us in Dover on the way back from St Margaret's Bay :-[ I did have a genuine excuse though having done a 2AAA ride the day before and a 1.25AAA ECE starting at 0500 (my first crack at doing the whole 100 before the event and challenging but quiet and serene  8))

It was my first riding of this event since PaulOlmo took it over and no less impressive than PatC's editions, made more pleasant by not having White Hill right at the end (apart from me who needed the extra few metres)

next up AAAnfractuous  :thumbsup:

« Reply #620 on: 15 September, 2014, 10:51:09 am »
what an excellent day wasn't it for sure.  let us hope all who rode will come to Chailey next month.  how many hundred could you take?

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #621 on: 21 September, 2014, 10:32:02 am »
Unashamed bump for the excellent Hilly and the Hillier, and with closing date for entries of October 15 -only a few days before the ride itself - there is still time (assuming the limit not reached). I will be out of the country but would otherwise have ridden, or helped.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #622 on: 20 October, 2014, 09:52:48 pm »
Hello fellow grimpers

I'm looking for a couple of rides to see me through November and December. Unfortunately I can't make the Whitchurch Wind down as I'm working so it'll have to be perms.

Having done most of the short perms this year, I was considering a DIY by GPS in one of the areas that hasn't really been covered by the events I've done so far, which is south east of Tunbridge Wells and around Bewl water. I have concocted a torturous route with far too many controls which I may try, but I was wondering if any more experienced hands are aware of any routes such as this that have been used before, and perhaps now have been retired?

Martin

« Reply #623 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:45:04 pm »
Hello fellow grimpers

I'm looking for a couple of rides to see me through November and December. Unfortunately I can't make the Whitchurch Wind down as I'm working so it'll have to be perms.

Having done most of the short perms this year, I was considering a DIY by GPS in one of the areas that hasn't really been covered by the events I've done so far, which is south east of Tunbridge Wells and around Bewl water. I have concocted a torturous route with far too many controls which I may try, but I was wondering if any more experienced hands are aware of any routes such as this that have been used before, and perhaps now have been retired?

well there's the very much not retired and excellent Down to Downs you can do as a non-DIY :) but pm me and I can send you something if you want a DIY

« Reply #624 on: 14 December, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »
well there's the very much not retired and excellent Down to Downs you can do as a non-DIY :)

With the added incentive that I'll donate £2 for every ride I validate till the end of 2015 to Steve's record attempt oneyeartimetrial.org.uk