Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255918 times)

hillbilly

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #750 on: 05 January, 2016, 01:11:33 pm »
Good that there is a 200 grimpeur in the true South.  None of the half arsery involving the Chilterns, but proper hills with views of the shimmering sea and rolling downs.  It looks like a nice route that will inspire the right balance of admiration and expletives from those who ride it :)

I'd love to do it, but one of my NY resolutions is to only register for rides of 300km or more.  But this means, god help me, that I am very tempted to give the GMT a crack this year.

Martin

« Reply #751 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:10:48 pm »
Good that there is a 200 grimpeur in the true South.  None of the half arsery involving the Chilterns,

Sir clearly hasn't ridden the Chiltern Pub Crawl (neither have I but ECE'd the very similar 150) or I believe the AAAnfractuous. Nothing semi bottommed about those,

Ivan you realise your event is the same weekend as the Hell of thingy thingy thingy? I know opposite ends of the SE and double the distance but might affect entries?

200 calendar GdS have never been very popular; Billy supported his ones with a Wimpeur 100; mine was very cosy. You should have more luck with the hard barstewards that are Hackney Innit though  :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #752 on: 06 January, 2016, 01:22:39 pm »
I tended to get an ok number of entries (40) but lots of DNS's.

I may dust off my 400km permanent route over the summer, to see if I can spruce it up into an event.  Although it also focusses on the golden triangle of Brighton-Battle-Orpington for its fun and games.  Which isn't a surprise, given there has always been a bit of recycling of roads between different organisers in the area over time (the Shark looks somewhat "inspired" by some of my own road choices in the Meridian and AWE).

« Reply #753 on: 06 January, 2016, 02:40:17 pm »
S'pose I'd better enter this Sharknado thing, seeing as it's a bit close to home. Ivan, will you be wanting an assistant deputy tea-pourer again?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #754 on: 06 January, 2016, 02:46:35 pm »
If I don't get to Wales for Elenydd, then I might be up for riding like a left shark.

Looks a challenging day out!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #755 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »
I'm aware of the diary clash, but believe events starting from London can attract a sizable number of people that wouldn't necessarily do any other others. Just need to get on and promote it now. The calendar is so packed with rides, seems impossible not to conflict with something - it's hard enough avoiding all the other ACH events.

Hillbilly, I tried to differentiate the route more but the nature of the requirements for quiet, direct roads between controls tends to force you onto certain well-used sections, unless you start getting carried away with info controls. However the idea to go to Seaford (as with GMC) is totally based on a suggestion by you, so feel free to claim a free entry for either event :-) Surely you could ECE it up to a 300, or does that not count for your rules?

JSabine, I think we will be ok with tea pouring - the left shark can do that I believe.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #756 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:13:43 pm »
Hi all, timely discussion as today I was also looking at the GdS and the SR as I realise only now that I missed out on this last year by one ride... I'm intrigued by the 400 and 600 options - any DIYs that anyone is aware of?

James (Skillen)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #757 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:17:59 pm »
I think we will be ok with tea pouring
One dallied with the ridiculous notion of riding to That London then riding The Shark then riding home afterwards. Then looked at the climbing involved :o. And thought about the effort involved  :o :o. Am very happy to say my offer to be deputy under-assistant trainee tea-pourer at Chiddingly has been accepted :thumbsup:. Will wear my ACH cap in vain hope that people will think I know what I'm doing ;).
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #758 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »
JSabine, I think we will be ok with tea pouring - the left shark can do that I believe.

I'll just have to drink it then, and hope you're not imposing biscuit rationing.

Two points: not quite sure what stage it's at yet, but Meantime is pulling out of the Old Brewery (it doesn't fit with the brave new SAB Miller/AB-InBev world), and I don't know whether the naval college has yet found a new tenant, so it may not be suitable as an arrivee. And the ACH event page reckons it'll take place in April 2015 ...

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #759 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »

Am very happy to say my offer to be deputy under-assistant trainee tea-pourer at Chiddingly has been accepted :thumbsup:. Will wear my ACH cap in vain hope that people will think I know what I'm doing ;).
??? I've never associated ACH with expertise in tea pouring.  ???
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #760 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:19:54 pm »
Shame about the Old Brewery - thought this was on the cards, but nothing definite. Will probably fall back onto the Gypsy Moth if need be. Fixed the typo though, thanks.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

hillbilly

« Reply #761 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:27:13 pm »
Hi all, timely discussion as today I was also looking at the GdS and the SR as I realise only now that I missed out on this last year by one ride... I'm intrigued by the 400 and 600 options - any DIYs that anyone is aware of?

James (Skillen)

I have some DIY routes for 400 and 600.  The 400 is ok - I've got your email so will dig it out and send.

The 600 is not nice and you'd be better advised to do the Sea Lovers 600 permanent for the GdS (it qualifies, somehow).

« Reply #762 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:35:32 pm »
[ ??? I've never associated ACH with expertise in tea pouring.  ???

You're right, we are more au fait with slicing cheese, but I am hoping mmmmartin can multi-task.

Martin

« Reply #763 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:26:12 pm »
The 600 is not nice and you'd be better advised to do the Sea Lovers 600 permanent for the GdS (it qualifies, somehow).

Yes the Sea Lovers definitely stretches the definition of a SE based Grimpeur spending about 20km in the qualifying region but I was the one who drew a random map (and then had to expand it when we lost a few rides; a big plus as it turned out as it enables the IoW and Catherington events to be included) so it counts

as does LEL.....

hillbilly

« Reply #764 on: 07 January, 2016, 07:30:04 am »
LEL is a ride in the Southern Counties? Martin! Tssk.  You do realise the Northerners view that kind of thinking as colonialism?  :)

Martin

« Reply #765 on: 07 January, 2016, 10:01:09 am »
It starts in the qualifying region, the fact that the AAA are in Scotlandland is still within the GdS rules

« Reply #766 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:28:26 am »
I'm thinking of ECEing Oasts and Coasts up to a 400km - it's not on the GdS list, but I assume it counts even though it's only part AAA rated.

For the SR 600, I've spent some time considering Sea Lovers, but can't reconcile the facts that all the climbing happens in the SW and you get to spend the overnight section in (shutdown) Cornwall. My tentative S.E. Lovers DIY will be full AAA (no trips to Norfolk like last year) with a potential overnight stop at Gatwick for the transition between Sussex and Surrey Hills. Trying to work in a trip to IoW as well. This is calling out for a mandatory route DIY, but will try and make it work with old skool controls first.

Martin

« Reply #767 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:36:59 pm »
Oasts and Coasts added  :)

Manotea has several brevets for the IOW as a DIY; I've done it like that for a few years now

« Reply #768 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:08:11 pm »
I have some DIY routes for 400 and 600.  The 400 is ok - I've got your email so will dig it out and send.

That would be fantastic, thanks!

Ivan - I'd definitely be interested if a 600 can be made to work in the SE - let me know if I can help at all. Otherwise Sea Lovers it is.

« Reply #769 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:34:32 pm »
Ivan, fink you'll get 250 plus be in April.  At Chiddingfold will the good and excellent ladies of zee WI be feeding riders? As on the Ditchling devil 200.  Fink twas Highbrook they had very welcoming controllers and great refreshments.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #770 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:18:23 pm »
Hills and Mills entered. As I haven't been out on the road, apart from a handful of commutes, since PBP, it's going to hurt but I figure entering an event is the only thing that's going to get me off my backside.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Martin

« Reply #771 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:54:39 pm »
No Hills and Mills for me but I did the Motts Mill bit for a laugh (fsvo laugh) today on AAA Milne

it might have dried out on the day....

I've got wind of another GdS 200 from Kingston (and by the Wheelers) watch this space...

hillbilly

« Reply #772 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:44:25 am »
I recommend some of my perm entrants  pack a lifejacket for some of the lanes...

Martin

« Reply #773 on: 11 January, 2016, 12:27:10 pm »
+1

The section between Piltdown Pond and the L turn to Barcombe (appears SO) on AAA Milne is CLOSED. Please re-route via Newick.

If you are feeling very brave there is a walkway next to the flooded section of this road which I used (just to see how much nicer it was with the water level 30cm below the walkway than 30cm above; and without a tree trunk to negotiate lengthways)

Martin

« Reply #774 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:25:41 am »
D2DR route sheet and gpx now uploaded

http://www.aukweb.com/events/detail/16-258/