Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255358 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #775 on: 02 February, 2016, 11:18:18 am »
new GdS event in the calendar for this year in September:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-368/

« Reply #776 on: 02 February, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »
Richard I bet you'll get a 100 for this.  Smashing route
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #777 on: 13 February, 2016, 10:33:03 pm »
Check the first photo in the gallery; it's going to stay there a very long time

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #778 on: 13 February, 2016, 11:20:26 pm »
Thank you Martin. Good call.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #779 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:47:42 pm »
Who's up for the Invicta Grimpeur Sunday? my 2nd ever AAA event and still a real challenge to get up Yorks Hill (Thankfully half way this year I think) without spontaneously combusting

« Reply #780 on: 07 March, 2016, 07:40:29 pm »
I will be there, first Audax in about 10 years.  Dragging my boss around with me.  I have told him it will be good for his triathlons, not sure he knows what he has let himself in for yet!

« Reply #781 on: 13 March, 2016, 05:51:50 pm »
Top ride today in beautiful sunshine. Back to back audaxes too lol. 300km will do me!!

Martin

« Reply #782 on: 13 March, 2016, 07:52:55 pm »
Top ride today in beautiful sunshine. Back to back audaxes too lol. 300km will do me!!

think you were in the GS Avanti Massive? well impressive pace you were all up Yorks Hill (bis) while  I was on the way back to half time;

next up Plodder's excellent Bois d' thingy (must ask him what it means google doesn't know) then The Shark followed in close pursuit by Lurcio's excellent HOTSCH

« Reply #783 on: 13 March, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »

think you were in the GS Avanti Massive? well impressive pace you were all up Yorks Hill (bis) while  I was on the way back to half time;

next up Plodder's excellent Bois d' thingy (must ask him what it means google doesn't know) then The Shark followed in close pursuit by Lurcio's excellent HOTSCH

Hey that was the fast group! I was not in that group today. My legs were heavy! But they put out some speed :)

« Reply #784 on: 14 March, 2016, 07:34:34 pm »
Agreed, really nice ride and nice introduction back to Audax.  Proper bike riding if I may say. Marred a bit by the theft of a bike at the end, if I heard correctly!

My boss said he is not coming on another bike ride with me but was happy to sit at work and show people his ride on Garmin connect :)

« Reply #785 on: 15 March, 2016, 11:58:48 am »
Yes the bike theft was incredibly bad news. Will be investing in a portable lock asap.

Martin

« Reply #786 on: 20 March, 2016, 12:23:44 pm »
Did Le Bois Ocaud yesterday; an excellent ride once I'd cleansed my mind of the sight of Jane "Hummers" Fonda's leotard. Much tougher than the November version but still the iconic finish over Old Winchester Hill; with the IoW and Solent clearly visible (not long now 'til the Randonnee also a GdS)

impressive noisy take-off of a BAC 111 (edit* apparently not there are only 2 left airworthy across the Pond; wonder what it was?) just before the garden centre (from the same runway the gliding club use) shame the club wasn't welcoming cyclists because of their AGM, I gave up on the queue for breakfast at the former

comedy moment was trying to find some oil for my new and very squeaky chain; sod all at the garden centre and the hardware store in Medstead had everything you could possibly not want apart from oil so I settled for some Happy Shopper Extra Virgin Oilve Oil from the shop next door which worked surprisingly well!

my flat as possible ECE home did not go to plan ending up about 30m short of another 0.5AAA on the A32 (bikers' paradise it seems due to lack of junctions or indeed anything after the A272 at West Meon, did make me wonder why they ever thought building a railway line along there was a good idea)

Thanks Plodder and your helpers

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #787 on: 20 March, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »
Did Le Bois Ocaud yesterday; an excellent ride once I'd cleansed my mind of the sight of Jane "Hummers" Fonda's leotard. Much tougher than the November version burt still the iconic finish over Old Winchester Hill;

That sight will take a very long time to eradicate fully from the mind. One can always rely on Hummers unfailing ability to do the unexpected. I understand that Chillmoister otp has photographic evidence.  :hand:

Thanks Plodder and your helpers

Our pleasure. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. Almost all your GdS flyers were taken with many discussing plans to complete the challenge.  :thumbsup:
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Martin

« Reply #788 on: 21 March, 2016, 01:47:43 pm »
actually I think the plane that took off from Lasham was this; G-OSRA (or B) spotted a few days earlier by the local wildlife group & pictured here

« Reply #789 on: 21 March, 2016, 02:33:35 pm »
AWE is now my new favourite ride. Swanley to Swanley last Saturday. 10 weeks after 12 weeks of non weight bearing on my right leg.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #790 on: 21 March, 2016, 03:25:15 pm »
+1 for AWE... I rode it Swanley to Swanley last Thursday (rode from home in Southern Hertfordshire to make it up to 200 miles) it's a fantastic ride with some stunning scenery, and even the bits in close proximity to London felt decidedly rural. There was something very satisfying about finishing that last climb near Kemsing, and near enough freewheeling all the way down into Swanley in the last of the light knowing that the hills were finished  :thumbsup:

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #791 on: 05 April, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »
Today I rode the perm Down to Downs, still a good ride, followed the track from the calendar event a few years ago. Heading north from Edenbridge where you turn right there is a road closed sign: after a few hundred yards there are vans and barriers and a hole in the road, but there is a one foot wide gap on the left (ie on the northern side of that road) and you can get a bike through that. I rode with someone else and we passed Liev (NOTP) who was riding it in the opposite direction.
one perm: three riders. prob not a record. but a sign of its popularity.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #792 on: 05 April, 2016, 11:40:50 pm »
Leiv had the right idea (riding in reverse) he'll be doing it that way on D2DR; much nicer IMO (although the right way is also superb)

Leiv is a stalwart supporter of the GdS (mostly perms he holds a Reliable season ticket!) and in fact I've centred my last few GdS calendar events around rides he can ride to the start of ;-)

Still a couple of days left to enter Lurcio's challenging but very scenic HOTSCH

Martin

« Reply #793 on: 28 April, 2016, 01:35:25 am »
Anyone else up for the IOW 100km Randonnee this Sunday? worth 1.5AAA as a DIY and eligible as a GdS

www.cycleisland.co.uk

« Reply #794 on: 28 April, 2016, 12:57:24 pm »
I am riding the IOW this Sunday, along with a good number of my clubmates (and others).  Can I submit as a DIY GPS retrospectively?

Martin

« Reply #795 on: 28 April, 2016, 01:01:55 pm »
I am riding the IOW this Sunday, along with a good number of my clubmates (and others).  Can I submit as a DIY GPS retrospectively?

no; you'll have to enter in advance. Assuming you are in the S East I can give you the DIY brevet number for Paul if you PM me,

Otherwise it counts as a GdS anyway even if you don't enter it as a DIY

« Reply #796 on: 02 May, 2016, 10:25:40 pm »
Thanks for both the reply and the offer, unfortunately (and obviously) I missed the time slot!  Still did the ride, however, amazing weather - in stark contrast to the total whiteout we had last year.  Excellent views and the head came back sunburned which is always a good sign :D

Martin

« Reply #797 on: 21 August, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »
Great ride on the extremely tough (and on my local roads too!) Tour of the Hills again;

I stupidly ECE'd but it did involve a nice (wet) ride round Richmond Park at the end with a flat finish along the Thames

thanks Don and your helpers especially the nutrition person; I ignored the end of ride advice and just downed 3 glasses of hydration (which was very welcome) before heading out for another appointment with Combe Lane and Crocknorth road ouch!!!

Martin

« Reply #798 on: 08 October, 2016, 11:12:52 pm »
Mid Sussex Hilly / Hillier route checked today; nothing much to report apart from that the leaves need another couple of weeks to reach full glory (so just in time for the day), and the wooden signposts have broke / been reinstated as per usual.

Narrowly missed an altercation between a female deer and a couple of cars on top of Ashdown Forest, looks like no harm to any of them ;-)

Cob Lane is as hard and slippery as ever I'm afraid...

« Reply #799 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:52:51 am »
Just a reminder, the 1st of this years calendar events are Hills and Mills (5 cards left), followed by Mad Jack JSM (40 cards left).

Tim's excellent photos for H&M from last year, if you missed them -

https://picasaweb.google.com/114454292405633360220/HillsAndMillsGrimpeur2016
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021