Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255118 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #125 on: 27 January, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »
That's a good idea. I plan to roll early from the start - based on my own assessment of my needs and what El tells me to do!
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #126 on: 27 January, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »
EL will be at the top of Butts lane too, that's one of the steepest B*****ds around here, it kicks off like a muel on steroids, then if you don't pace yourself you will suffer!  :o

If your not in a rush there's a new memorial to the Flying fortress crew who didn't quiet make it back in WW2, when they plowed into the hill in the sea mist.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #127 on: 28 January, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Might ride the section from Butts Hill back to the leisure centre tomorrow, out of sheer boredom and lack of a life so I won't waste time in the gathering gloom trying to get back to Richard before the centre chucks him out!

Martin

« Reply #128 on: 30 January, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »
That was a bastard hard ride for January as I suspected when I entered; the icy NE wind didn't help (didn't need brakes going down HaO) but a fantastic day for it. Butts Lane Beachy Head Bopeep and Firle were all mega-dodgy on the way down due to a hard frost; but I don't think anyone went down.

a lovely day and some superb views in the winter sun; met loads of yacf inc Ashaman, The Borg (I think) Dougal, Lurkio and AJB (controllers), Phixie at the finish and at Firle, MJ, MartinBrice and of course Cyklisten with whom I rode most of the day. Spent far too long chatting to El S at Butts Brow and was absolutely frozen all the way to the finish.

bring on the John Seviour MJ; better start sacrificing curing virgins now to get nice weather for it...

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #129 on: 30 January, 2011, 08:38:08 pm »
was absolutely frozen all the way to the finish
Great day out. Friggin freezing. V scary on the v frequent White bits. V tough with 12 hills. I now have 2 events towards the GdS badge. today was an excellent example of the warm glow of satisfaction felt once you have learnt to strive and not to yield.

« Reply #130 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »
A great day out. Though as said above a tad cold and a bit 'interesting' on the frosty bits. I wimped out and walked down some of them, glad I did as one chap ahead of me did come off, don't think he was too hurt though.

Finally put a face to Zoom and Cyklisten which is nice and am perusing the calendar for some more rides. Any recommendations for a flat 200? Cos those hills had me flagging towards the end.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #131 on: 30 January, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »
Cos those hills had me flagging towards the end.
You and me both.
Try the Man of Kent 200k perm or the weald of kent.
Next Saturday El has the 1066 - a 100k ride
Nowhere near as hilly as today. Recommended.

Martin

« Reply #132 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:35:12 am »
the 1066 is not a GdS but as you can imagine with Dave is not entirely flat; I think the El S nonAAA 100s get flatter the further West they go;

the SDNP100 is one of the hardest GdS,

the others are more benign, if not in actual climbing but in the nature of the climbing and time of year; most climbing is the Tour of the Hills least is the IOW

Hailsham East Sussex Hills and Mills AA 1.75
Hailsham East Sussex Mad Jack's - John Seviour MemorialAA 2
Otford Kent Invicta Grimpeur AA 1.75 (the 50k Invicta Hilly is not eligible for the Brevet)
Edenbridge Kent Down to Downs AA 1.75
Isle of Wight 100km Randonnee AA 1.5 (non AUK) Click here for details NB now available all year round as an AUK DIY permanent, contact Martin Malins for details
Boughton Lees Kent The Crown AA 1.75
Midhurst West Sussex Sussex Corker AA 2 NB this event will take a break in 2011 and run again in 2012
Hailsham East Sussex The South Downs National Park 100 AA 2
Shere, Guildford Tour of the Hills AA2.25
Redhill, Surrey William the Conkerer 200 AA3
Bredgar Kent Hengist's Hills AA 1.75
Chailey, East Sussex Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier AA 1.5 / 1.75

Billy Weir

« Reply #133 on: 31 January, 2011, 11:47:41 am »

Not running this year.  I am preparing a revised route that can be offered as a permanent (a project for March/April), in which case the GdS will have a 200km ride.  It will run in the calendar in July 2012 and (if well received) every year thereafter.  I'm moving Down to Downs to February/March, alternating with the AAA Milne.  And moving Redhill Beach Trip to September, albeit not GdS.

I am going to spend part of the summer preparing a 300km hilly permanent.  If it works out and "pleasant" (or at least as pleasant as a grimpeur that takes in half a dozen iconic climbs in the area can be) then I might put it on as a calendar event in 2013 in parallel with the Conkerer.

Martin

« Reply #134 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:36:20 pm »

Not running this year.  I am preparing a revised route that can be offered as a permanent (a project for March/April), in which case the GdS will have a 200km ride.  It will run in the calendar in July 2012 and (if well received) every year

I appreciate that; the list of events on my GdS webpsge is generic; it does say to look at the AUK Calendar for a full list of what's running this year and has a direct link to it.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #135 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
Consider entering my audax events in the East Surrey/West Sussex area

12.2.11: Redhill Beach Trip (200km, 0AAA)
25.4.11: Down to Downs (100km, 1.75AAA)
Is this a carefully-concealed attempt to suggest that the Redhill Beach Trip is actually a quite flat ride?

Martin

« Reply #136 on: 31 January, 2011, 02:28:30 pm »
I'm currently working on a compensation for not doing The Beacon on the Mid Sussex Hilly (and also reducing the bike traffic up there on the day); there is a fine view of the Downs from Ditchling village itself; meant to drive up there yesterday but lack of daylight intervened; will check out this weekend. It might end up knocking the minimum distance down too much though, I don't want it to be an extra info but an alternative to Westmeston.

Billy Weir

« Reply #137 on: 31 January, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
Consider entering my audax events in the East Surrey/West Sussex area

12.2.11: Redhill Beach Trip (200km, 0AAA)
25.4.11: Down to Downs (100km, 1.75AAA)
Is this a carefully-concealed attempt to suggest that the Redhill Beach Trip is actually a quite flat ride?

The profile is
- flattish for 80km (Redhill - Upper Beeding via Rudgewick)
- undulating for 30km (Upper Beeding - Seaford)
- hilly for 30km (Seaford - Beachy Head - Litlington)
- flat for 20km (Litlington - Uckfield)
- undulating for 30km (Uckfield - Turners Hill)
- flattish for 20km (Turners Hill - Redhill) 

Only 3 climbs I'd really say it is best having a small gear to fall back on.  A short, sharp climb out of Ponyngs, a 14% climb at Exceat, and a 16% climb at East Dean.  The last two are also descended.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #138 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »
After yesterday's trauma in subzero temperatures and strong north breeze that sounds almost like a holiday :D 8) :-\

Martin

« Reply #139 on: 31 January, 2011, 07:16:34 pm »
is the climb out of East Dean on the way out or back?; the A259 to Eastbourne from ED yesterday was this,

purgatory;

I much prefer the Birling Gap road eastbound and will probably take that way anyway,

Billy Weir

« Reply #140 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:09:01 pm »
is the climb out of East Dean on the way out or back?; the A259 to Eastbourne from ED yesterday was this,

purgatory;

I much prefer the Birling Gap road eastbound and will probably take that way anyway,

Both.  You do a loop of the Beachy Head peninsula, returning to the right turn to Litlington/Alfriston.

Martin

« Reply #141 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:17:32 pm »

purgatory;

Both.  You do a loop of the Beachy Head peninsula, returning to the right turn to Litlington/Alfriston.

which way does the loop go? Beachy Head or Birling Gap first or doesn't it matter? (if it's an info I'll do BG first)

Billy Weir

« Reply #142 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
Birling Gap - Beachy Head (clockwise)

Martin

« Reply #143 on: 31 January, 2011, 08:21:10 pm »

that's anticlockwise

Billy Weir

« Reply #144 on: 31 January, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »

that's anticlockwise

So it is.

« Reply #145 on: 02 February, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »
Good photo on the inside cover of the latest Arrivee Zoom, (Mid Sussex Hilly).
Colin's going like a train as he did on Hills and Mills..

Shame the back cover is missing on my Arrivee though, supposed to show Abraham on Mad Jacks JSM..  :-\

Martin

« Reply #146 on: 02 February, 2011, 09:05:00 pm »
Good photo on the inside cover of the latest Arrivee Zoom, (Mid Sussex Hilly).
Colin's going like a train as he did on Hills and Mills..

Colin always goes like a train; once he's passed through the control I know I can put my feet up for another 20 mins;

Hoping for more in the next edition..

« Reply #147 on: 03 February, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
Colin always goes like a train; once he's passed through the control I know I can put my feet up for another 20 mins;

**He was some 2 hours quicker that the slowest rider!

Hoping for more in the next edition..

**Yes indeed, so who is the un-named rider on the back cover of the Handbook?

Martin

« Reply #148 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »
I thought he was a YACF; I did sound an APB email out in response to Tim's request for ID

Billy Weir

« Reply #149 on: 27 February, 2011, 06:03:52 pm »
Had my first proper spin around the AAA Milne (1.75AAA 109km perm, GdS eligible) today.  Hard ride - lots of punchy hills in the first 60km, which makes it feel slightly tougher than Down to Downs.

I'd love to figure out a way of getting from Ashdown ridge to Fir Toll Road that doesn't involved 1-2 mile on the A26 towards Crowborough.  It was the only bit that I was thinking "this can surely be improved".