Author Topic: 'I'm a cyclist get me out here!' - York to Teesside Sunday 5th September  (Read 2311 times)

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
On Sunday Newtoncap and I got the train to York and then rode straight back.  We had a quick glance at the Minster but that was about it.

With some rides it's hard to get to the end. With this one it was hard to get to the start. To start with we had trouble getting our bikes on the train due to a very wide family with about a million carrier bags who were sitting in the bike storage facility. We managed to move them on but not very far.

Then when we got to York we had to negotiate about 5 lots of stairs and a massive roadside jumble of tourists, taxis and buses before we could even get the wheels onto the road.

We headed out of York as fast as possible, up Haxby Road (very nice underpass under the ring road) as far as Wiggington where we stopped to take some pictures at Wiggington Village Hall. Then up the B1363 to Sutton, where we followed minor roads through Huby to Crayke (sat on a bench and had some sugary snacks while sad people in cars drove past envying us) and then on via Oulston to Coxwold. Lovely roads, friendly tailwind, excellent views.

Stopped at Kilburn to use the immaculate toilets then followed Route 65 to Northallerton. Sat on the grass near Kirkby Knowle for some chocolate and then had a massive bucket of coffee at Costa in Northallerton.

Got home just before 5 pm and in under 5 hours ride time which were my two unofficial targets for the day (we got off the train in York at 11.10 am but it took us about 20 minutes to get out of the station).

It was great to discover some new roads and to see route 65 in reverse (I've only done it north to south before) I would definitely recommend this route from York to Teesside (about 56 miles in total) Lovely sunny weather all day and Newt was very good company throughout. She not only listened with apparent interest to my endless cycling related anecdotes but also had plenty of her own (although I had far many more 'getting my bike onto the train' stories than she did).

A really good day out, even if it did seem mad at the outset to travel somewhere, just to leave as soon as we arrived. But riding the bike was the thing! This was not a sightseeing trip!
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: 'I'm a cyclist get me out here!' - York to Teesside Sunday 5th September
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:29:29 am »
Thank you for the pics Crusters. I particularly like the white donkey (is it?) in the second pic.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 07 September, 2010, 09:59:24 am »
Next time give me a shout - I'll bake you a cake :)

(By the way, there are 2 bike-sized lifts out of the station you know!)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 07 September, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »
Next time give me a shout - I'll bake you a cake :)

(By the way, there are 2 bike-sized lifts out of the station you know!)

Are they "obvious"?
Enquiring minds,particularly mine,need to know

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2010, 03:38:43 pm »
Fairly. there are signposts to the lifts, which are the slowest in creation.

If you are in a hurry, there is the underpass. Half as many steps as the overpass.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »
The lift goes down to the underpass...
Getting there...

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #6 on: 07 September, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »
Wot, no stop at the Schoolhouse Tearoom in Coxwold???
Monica and I were there on Saturday.
I can recommend the Lemon cake - it is superb! ;D

« Reply #7 on: 07 September, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
It was a really lovely ride, no pressure to go fast or get back for any particular time and I was happy that our plan to take advantage of the south easterly wind paid off....it wouldn't have been as much fun the other way round, battling into a headwind.

To be fair to Crusty - upon arriving at York Station, he asked me if I wanted to take the lift, but I said no, the stairs wouldn't be a problem - and they weren't really, just had to make sure I didn't catch anyone's shins as I hoiked the bike up the stairs!  This was my first time taking a bike on the train and I would definitely do it again; it was a fun alternative to doing the usual 'loop'  :)

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2010, 07:40:47 pm »
I have used that lift and underpass before but I think it would have taken even longer to get out of the station if we'd used them.

It was good to get the train at the beginning of the day because the standing around on a crowded platform hoping there's room on the train and then getting on the train and discovering a family of giants in the bike parking and having to move them is the kind of thing that it's good to get out of the way early in the day while you're still fresh.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.