Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951618 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4675 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:25:42 pm »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Mr Cage hasn't made a single decent film since "Leaving Las Vegas"
Don't be daft. Face/Off is sheer genius.

Also, Marlon Brando on his best day couldn't have delivered the line "Why couldn't you put the bunny back in the box?" with the gravity and pathos that Cage does in 'Con Air'.   (Not entirely serious but I do like Con Air).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4676 on: 07 January, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »
Lesbian Vampire Killers

Disappointingly, the title turned out to be left-associative.  ;D

Mildly amusing send-up of the genre that could have done with less farting and a hefty dose of Simon Pegg.

Chris S

« Reply #4677 on: 07 January, 2015, 02:12:08 pm »
Lesbian Vampire Killers

Mildly amusing send-up of the genre that could have done with less farting and a hefty dose of Simon Pegg.

I'm not entirely sure he'd make a convincing lesbian vampire  :P

« Reply #4678 on: 07 January, 2015, 07:11:35 pm »
Birdman.

I think this is a kind of satire inspired by the US addiction to super heroes and stuff like that so it doesn't quite work over here.

As a piece of cultural research it might be worth watching, otherwise I'd recommend spending your time some other way. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4679 on: 08 January, 2015, 01:29:51 am »
Albert Nobbs. I cried.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4680 on: 08 January, 2015, 07:23:21 am »
Lesbian Vampire Killers

I channel-hopped into this and it had Wolfmother on the soundtrack, so I thought I'd stick around for a bit.

Then James Corden showed up and I channel-hopped off to bed instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4681 on: 08 January, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
Birdman.

I think this is a kind of satire inspired by the US addiction to super heroes and stuff like that so it doesn't quite work over here.

As a piece of cultural research it might be worth watching, otherwise I'd recommend spending your time some other way.
:(

I'm quite a fan of Keaton (M) and the reviews have been great.

I like a good superhero movie, and in particular Keaton's Batman. (although we know who stole that movie!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4682 on: 10 January, 2015, 08:58:49 am »
Don't let me put you off.  You might enjoy it.   

As Amazon reviews often prove, opinions of films can be sharply divided. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4683 on: 10 January, 2015, 09:07:08 am »
Bourne Three. Tense, but very watchable. Seemed like less meat than in the first two.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4684 on: 11 January, 2015, 11:43:07 am »
Chef.

Yawn.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #4685 on: 11 January, 2015, 12:08:27 pm »
Rush - Ron Howard's film about the Hunt/Lauda rivalry and F1 in the mid 70s.

It's really good and doesn’t take too many liberties with the what actually happened, you don't have to be an F1 fan tpo wath it though it's as much about the character of the two men as about the actual racing. I like most Ron Howard film's though.

It was also the first time I got to really test my new Sony sound base out. I am well impressed. I know a proper home cinema system would be much better but I don’t care enough to have speakers hanging off the walls and a sub-woofer gathering dust behind the sofa. For £200 this gives you a simple one box system you just plonk you TV on top of and instant 2.1 sound which is about 1000x better than a typical flat-screens speaker. Simple one cable connection and I'm a happy camper. for once a device that actually exceeded my expectations.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4686 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:38:01 pm »
Wadjda.

A Saudi Arabian/German film about a little girl, it was shown back in the summer and I only just got round to watching it with Crinkles last night.  It was a sweet sad story, with the subtext that It's A Man's World All Right.  There were bicycles.  Most enjoyable.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4687 on: 11 January, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
Expendables 3.  old men running round shooting  guns.   thats it in 6 words.   I watched it with the sound off as I had my iPod on cos I was on the turbo.  don't think it suffered from lack of sound :-)

« Reply #4688 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »
Wadjda.

A Saudi Arabian/German film about a little girl, it was shown back in the summer and I only just got round to watching it with Crinkles last night.  It was a sweet sad story, with the subtext that It's A Man's World All Right.  There were bicycles.  Most enjoyable.

That is an excellent film.

There are no cinemas in Saudi Arabia, but as of last year women are now permitted to ride bicycles.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4689 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:51:20 pm »
Rush - Ron Howard's film about the Hunt/Lauda rivalry and F1 in the mid 70s.

It's really good and doesn’t take too many liberties with the what actually happened, you don't have to be an F1 fan tpo wath it though it's as much about the character of the two men as about the actual racing.
It was hugely enjoyable. As you say, it focused a lot on their characters: sadly  Howard completely invented the emnity between them.

The plain fact is they were good friends and close rivals.So they've got the central part of the story completely wrong.

Great sound though!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4690 on: 11 January, 2015, 02:57:26 pm »

reminds me: I also watched the Salmon in Yemen film on the box last week. Really lovely film, almost a proper old-fashioned british feel-good jobby.

But I don't think I could bear to read a whole novel based on that story! Sacharine overload.
Finally got around to watching Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. The book is much better.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #4691 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »
Yesterday on a long haul flight:

Lucy - really enjoyable 90' of action packed Scarlett Johansson (sp?) watching.

The Equaliser - based on the 80's Edward Woodward show, Denzel Washington in an easy to watch action movie.

The Maze Runner - a very interesting concept but lacked the sense of realism with regards to the human response to the position the boys were in,  which may be an interesting point because even though it is a fantasy film you still expect humans to behave in certain way!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4692 on: 11 January, 2015, 08:43:32 pm »
Despicable Me.

I like a happy ending, me.
Milk please, no sugar.

spindrift

« Reply #4693 on: 12 January, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »

reminds me: I also watched the Salmon in Yemen film on the box last week. Really lovely film, almost a proper old-fashioned british feel-good jobby.

But I don't think I could bear to read a whole novel based on that story! Sacharine overload.
Finally got around to watching Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. The book is much better.

Yes, they mucked about with the book and ruined it. Also, I can't stand Ewan.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4694 on: 12 January, 2015, 03:02:48 pm »
I liked the film. Love a happy ending, me.
Milk please, no sugar.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4695 on: 12 January, 2015, 03:19:47 pm »
I adore Ewan in pretty much everything (although a light-saber really didn't suit him).

Sadly if you don't like the romantic leads in a film like that, you're very unlikely to enjoy the film.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4696 on: 12 January, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »
The Theory of Everything. Superb and moving account of the relationship between Stephen and Jane Wilde (later Hawking). Brilliant acting by Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones.

Wot Woofage said. I saw this Saturday night and it was tip top.  Glad to see Eddie Redmayne got an award for it last night.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

spindrift

« Reply #4697 on: 12 January, 2015, 04:43:12 pm »
How dare you claim I don't Like Emily Blunt and don't daydream about saving her from flash fires in waterbed factories. She was lovely and believable, Ewan was neither and has done nothing worthwhile since trainspotting. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4698 on: 12 January, 2015, 06:46:01 pm »
Ewan Macgregor's accent in "The Men Who Stare At Goats" was almost as wonky as Michael Sheen's in "The Damned United".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4699 on: 12 January, 2015, 10:52:00 pm »
Notta fillum, but I watched all 6 episodes of "Edge of Darkness" over the weekend.  Still bloody good even on the 3rd repeat viewing.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark