Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951521 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4700 on: 13 January, 2015, 09:13:04 am »
Notta fillum, but I watched all 6 episodes of "Edge of Darkness" over the weekend.  Still bloody good even on the 3rd repeat viewing.

His relationship with his daughter gets creepier and creepier on each rewatch for me.

spindrift

« Reply #4701 on: 13 January, 2015, 10:40:54 am »
Another one over Christmas was The Look of Love, again a very funny book and a mediocre film. Raymond was..not a monster but a very odd man. Starting up he was driven by money, that's how he ended up owning a third of Soho but he was a terrible landlord and an odd husband. When he lived in Wimbledon his marriage was rocky, so he sent his wife a young man. "The hell is this?" She said. "Oh" said Raymond "That's for you, you know, you can enjoy him". Divorced shortly afterwards. Coogan was not very good, he seemed to be mugging through the film. It s strange he was so brilliant in Philomena but really bland in this.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4702 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:08:49 am »
I watched Rush last night.

Although I have zero interest in F1, I found it an interesting film, even if the bits about the rivalry were false.  ISTR that the only true bit in Lauda's last bit about his respect for Hunt.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4703 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:12:31 am »
I watched, over Christmas, a Richard Curtis film About Time. A bitter-sweet film, and if any of you have lost a father, could be a tear-jerker for you. Might not be for others watching it, but was for me.

A good cast list: Bill Nighy, Rachel McAdams, Domhnall Gleeson, Lydia Wilson, Lindsay Duncan, Richard Cordery, Tom Hollander, Margot Robbie.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #4704 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:19:36 am »
I watched Rush last night.

Although I have zero interest in F1, I found it an interesting film, even if the bits about the rivalry were false.  ISTR that the only true bit in Lauda's last bit about his respect for Hunt.

It's true that the played up the rivalry (Lauda and Hunt shared a flat at one time !) but Lauda has been quoted that in general the film was a pretty accurate rendition of F1 at the time and he was happy with it.  I liked the fact that the film also showed that Hunt had a black dog and wasn’t just  the witty playboy all the time. At least they didn’t change history so that Mario Andretti won the 1976 season as would have been tempting for many US directors.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4705 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:20:38 am »
On a similar note is "Senna" worth getting ? I haven't seen it yet.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4706 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:49:55 am »

Yes, Senna is very much worth a look – in fact the driver conference scenes in Rush almost look informed by the film Senna.

« Reply #4707 on: 13 January, 2015, 11:53:24 am »
Exodus: Gods And Kings. Ridley Scott. 'Nuff said.
Quote from: No1Daughter
That was exactly what I thought it would be like
The WASP actor Christian Bale plays Jewish Hero Moses. Uh huh. No characterisation, but probably just as well, as then we’d have taken the piss. “Moses was a joker was he? Yeah right.” I think I preferred A Prince of Egypt, tbh

The Theory of Everything. Immensely watchable. No1Daughter wasn't sure she could be bothered
Quote from: No1Daughter
I'd've walked home and left you to watch it on your own, except that I'm Ill. It was alright though.
It wasn't about science, or even, really, scientists. It was a love story that happened to feature a scientist. I'm torn between relief and disappointment. Would everyone’s love life look like that with a stirring musical background, and more-attractive-than-we-really-are actors? I'm quite tempted to write a Hollywood-i-fied version of my own lurve history, for the LOLS.

Birdman Disappointing. The trailers made it look more interesting than it was. It was claustrophobic and grimy. I go to the cinema for Hollywood gloss, I can get claustrophobic and grimy at home.

Hobbit 3 Glad when it was over and we could close the final chapter. Ugh. Only went because we'd seen the others. Peter Jackson: how the mighty are fallen. Looking forward to the audience cut of the 3 films, lasting approximately 90 minutes and following the actual story of the famous Tolkein book, “The Hobbit” (without the tedious songs and poetry).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4708 on: 13 January, 2015, 03:41:04 pm »

World+Dog raves about "Senna" but I found it somewhat disappointing.  Given that it was a documentary I suppose it was inevitable that footage of the period between karting in Brazil and F1 just doesn't exist, but it almost appears from the film that he jumped straight from a kart into a Lotus F1 car.  Nothing about Formula Ford, his intense rivalry with Martin Brundle in F3, his first F1 season at Toleman (I'd have loved to have seen a contemporary interview with team manager Alex Hawkridge :demon:), nor about his short-lived marriage and near decision to give the whole thing up after his first season racing in the UK.

That said, it's still worth a punt.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4709 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
Hobbit 3 Glad when it was over and we could close the final chapter. Ugh. Only went because we'd seen the others. Peter Jackson: how the mighty are fallen. Looking forward to the audience cut of the 3 films, lasting approximately 90 minutes and following the actual story of the famous Tolkein book, “The Hobbit” (without the tedious songs and poetry).

I haven't see it yet.  It's a sad indictment that I'll probably wait until it's on TV.

You only really need to see the Hobbit book next to the LOTR trilogy of books to see that the suits in Hollywood tried to wring every dollar from, what is basically, a short story.

I think my enthusiasm was killed off when I was forced to watch hours (seemingly) of dwarves eating a meal in the first instalment.

I think this could justifiably be condensed into a superb, single 3 hour adventure.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Jakob

« Reply #4710 on: 13 January, 2015, 06:07:14 pm »

Just be aware that it's very heavily biased and casts Senna as Jesus and Balestre as Pontius Pilate.
It's still good, though.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4711 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:36:17 pm »

Just be aware that it's very heavily biased and casts Senna as Jesus and Balestre as Pontius Pilate.
It's still good, though.

Hollywood hasn't bought the rights to the Nigel Mansell story yet.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

tiermat

« Reply #4712 on: 14 January, 2015, 05:37:50 pm »
Last night's film was Elysium which, despite having Matt Damon in, is actually quite good.

Every SciFi film should have a Saffer bounty hunter in it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4713 on: 14 January, 2015, 08:11:29 pm »
Foxcatcher.

Excellent but uses quite a bit of artistic licence to package real life into a movie. Chilling portrayal of a disturbed mind reminiscent of certain Alfred Hitchcock films.       
Move Faster and Bake Things

tiermat

« Reply #4714 on: 15 January, 2015, 08:13:35 am »
From good to very poor. The Chronicles of Riddick 3, what a total and utter waste of time that was..

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4715 on: 15 January, 2015, 10:52:39 am »
The other night I saw Horrible Bosses which, despite having a great cast, was a pile of shit.

« Reply #4716 on: 15 January, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »
From good to very poor. The Chronicles of Riddick 3, what a total and utter waste of time that was..

After Riddick 1 and 2 you thought 3 was going to be suddenly better ?

« Reply #4717 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »
Notta fillum, but I watched all 6 episodes of "Edge of Darkness" over the weekend.  Still bloody good even on the 3rd repeat viewing.

His relationship with his daughter gets creepier and creepier on each rewatch for me.

Continuing the incest theme, tonight's DVD was Poliakoffs's Close My Eyes,  Alan Rickman, Clive Owen & Saskia Reeves in an odd sided triangle.

I saw this with a girlfriend when it was first released (1991),  she complained you didn't get to see Clive Owens cock.... ::-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4718 on: 16 January, 2015, 12:22:31 am »
I elected to go and watch the theory of everything, I thought it was a jolly good film and I would recommend it, on the other hand I was coerced into watching taken 3 all I can say is what a load of b*ll*x that's 2 hours of my life I won't be seeing again, please do yourself a favour, clean the fluff out of your belly button do the washing up take the dog for a walk any thing at all just don't waste your time going to see this film, to say that it's badly acted, predictable, boring, ill thought out, drivel, would be doing it a favour and don't get me started on the russian accents. I think I would rather see clive owens cock ;)   

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4719 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:32:00 am »
Last night's film was Elysium which, despite having Matt Damon in, is actually quite good.

Oh well. I gave it 4/10. Story's a simplistic rip-off of every instant-revolution tale since time began and a damnable waste of Jodie Foster and expensive special effects.

My favourite SF film in years is District 9: no big-name stars, excellent effects and a good story.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

tiermat

« Reply #4720 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:22:04 am »

Oh well. I gave it 4/10. Story's a simplistic rip-off of every instant-revolution tale since time began and a damnable waste of Jodie Foster and expensive special effects.

My favourite SF film in years is District 9: no big-name stars, excellent effects and a good story.

Same director, different screenwriter. I notice a lot of criticism for Neill Blomkamp's with regards to this film, a lot of people saying that his work is nothing without the writing of Terri Tatchell.

Other than Damon and Foster, the actors are relatively unknown in Elysium.

If that all sounds like I am defending Elysium, it isn't meant like that.  I didn't, by any means, find it gripping or engaging.  I did, however, find it enjoyable.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4721 on: 16 January, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
Hollywood's like that: a couple of A-list stars and they think everything else will fall into place, especially if big guns, whizzbangs and special effects are involved. Plus the inequality bit, as in Snowpiercer.  I get the idea that they lifted the original idea for that from Iain Banks' The Bridge.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4722 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:00:59 am »
I elected to go and watch the theory of everything, I thought it was a jolly good film and I would recommend it, on the other hand I was coerced into watching taken 3 all I can say is what a load of b*ll*x that's 2 hours of my life I won't be seeing again, please do yourself a favour, clean the fluff out of your belly button do the washing up take the dog for a walk any thing at all just don't waste your time going to see this film, to say that it's badly acted, predictable, boring, ill thought out, drivel, would be doing it a favour and don't get me started on the russian accents. I think I would rather see clive owens cock ;)   

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you want a good film, I can tell you I can't do that. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you don't watch my films, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not bore you to death. But if you do watch my films, just don't say I didn't warn you..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4723 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:13:04 am »
The Lego Movie

Excellent - witty, clever,  hilarious, and thoroughly enjoyable.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4724 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:26:59 am »
Silver linings playbook.

Thoroughly enjoyable, but rather lost the BP element as things got better, which was a shame. I know it wasn't meant to be a mental health film but it is a key part of it.
It is simpler than it looks.