Author Topic: Which anti-virus?  (Read 8340 times)

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
Which anti-virus?
« on: 31 January, 2009, 05:36:41 pm »
For the last few years I've been using Virgin Media's own Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Firewall. It comes bundled with our cable internet deal and I've never had any problems with it. Now I've got a new PC the Virgin stuff won't run. It's not compatible with Vista 64-Bit :'(. So what should I be using instead? The last package I paid for was Norton, and I hated it. It was almost impossible to remove once I had it installed and it was always asking me to upgrade/spend more money.

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Cheers,
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Which anti-virus?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:40:47 pm »
I've been using Avast for some years now. Seems fine - no problems.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:45:00 pm »
I have used the free AVG for many years which does the job.

Likewise, I got bored to tears with Norton.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:48:16 pm »
AVG Free for me
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:49:06 pm »
+1 for AVG and a very big +1 for NOT using Norton

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:53:15 pm »
AVG here as well - plus Zonealarm, Firefox and NoScript. Total cost is Nil  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:54:26 pm »
AVG.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2009, 06:08:24 pm »
Don't forget good old fashioned common sense!
Pen Pusher

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2009, 06:20:38 pm »
Very good point Woofage. The correct answer to the question "What is the best anti virus system?" is, "You are, but don't forget an AV software back up system too."

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »
I swapped from AVG to avast due to a reported much better detection rate.

The problem though with avast is the free version has no scheduler - so you need to run scans manually. It does have a "sheild" function though which checks each file as it is opened/closed.

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:07:51 pm »
ESET NOD32 - you have to pay, but it's good, and not too resource hungry.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »
AVira - free and lasts for months (6 or 18 I think) on one free license

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:41:00 pm »
The problem though with avast is the free version has no scheduler

Tony,

go into windows / all programs / accessories / system tools / task scheduler
or
 control panel / system maintenance / admin tools / task scheduler

click on action / create basic task

give it a name ie avast scan

trigger will be daily or weekly etc, it will then ask you to set the time of the scan

next - action will be start a program

the next widow will ask you to browse for a program. You want to type this into the box or copy & paste
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe"

or browse for it under program files\alwil\avast4 then click on ashquick

the text box underneath will ask for arguments - here you need to type in your drive letter

C:

or whichever drives you want scanning  - could be C: D: E:

Click finish and you will have a scan scheduled for the time you entered either daily or weekly.

I can recommend the following free security programs

Rising free av - 2009 has a firewall now
Threatfire
Avira personal
Sandboxie
Comodo firewall with defense +
Returnil VS
spyware blaster

All of the above are pretty easy to use for most people

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
+1 for AVG and a very big +1 for NOT using Norton
Currently running AVG & PrevX (which gets a few irritating false positives, but has also found something AVG missed), but not wedded to either. I haven't had anything get through both, though.

I used Norton for a while, long ago, until it decided to block all interweb access. It turned out that it had updated itself to stop working with my then version of Windows. Symantecs web site advised the solution was "Change your operating system". Microsofts web site said "Uninstall Norton". I went with option 2, & got AVG - and kept it when I got a new PC with a new O/S. Can't be arsed with people like that. Tossers.

Panda - came free with the new PC - was similar. Worked for a while, then did the total block. Their help desk proposed I spend several hours compiling logs to enable them to work out what the problem with their software was, & couldn't seem to understand why I asked if they'd pay me for my time. Indeed, they got stroppy. More tossers. They clearly didn't understand that the ratio of effort to reward of what they asked made no sense for me - or almost any other customer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »
Don't forget good old fashioned common sense!
Yup, if you don't know what it is don't run it, delete it.

I got a bog standard firewall on my router, and over the last 1.5 years I have been running Ubuntu (without any extras) and never had a problem. Before that I was running AVG on Microsoft, and only, from memory, have had 2 problems. Once I got sent an virus which AVG picked up, the other time I wanted to see what the heck a trojan could do to my PC it I let it run wild, but I installed Spybot - search and destroy which picked it up and removed it right away.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:29:22 am »
The problem though with avast is the free version has no scheduler

Tony,

go into windows / all programs / accessories / system tools / task scheduler
or
 control panel / system maintenance / admin tools / task scheduler

Thanks - I'll try that out.

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:48:57 am »
I use AVG (on a subscription). I'm very pleased with their customer service in general, it's near Nottingham and they do get back to you if they say they will.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:16:33 am »
There seems to be lots of Norton bashing. I've been using it for years with no problems. I can usually get a 3 user 12 month licence from Amazon for about £25, which is cheaper than extending the licence on line, so I just uninstall the old version and reinstall the new one.

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:49:43 am »
I used to be a staunch defender of Norton until it f*cked me over a couple of years back.   I did as you do Chris, but on one occasion it decided that no matter what it was not going to uninstall and lived in the background conflicting with AVG and ZoneAlarm and causing all sorts of performance issues.   Having to reinstall your system just because of some poorly-developed software is not endearing.     

What always puzzles me with Norton is why they insist that you must uninstall first rather than building the package so it does the uninstall and fresh install for you.     

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:54:58 am »
Me too, we recommended it to customers up until version 10 when in my opinion Norton really screwed it up. To be fair I believe they have addressed some of the poor performance and bad uninstall issues in recent editions but the old adage, once bitten, applies for me. I would never go back to it now. To leave the odd file behind after an uninstall is one thing but to leave services running in the background is unforgivable.

spindrift

« Reply #20 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:59:34 am »
Anyone get that weird message from Google yesterday?

« Reply #21 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:12:08 am »
Obviously not.

« Reply #22 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:13:05 am »
What, the one discussed in this thread: Google is warning that all site smay harm your computer?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

spindrift

« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:14:06 am »
Whoops, that's the one.

ian

« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:56:39 am »
I too had the Norton uninstall blues the last time I used it. Effective removal was only really possible via the nuke-em-from-orbit method. Removing consumer-orientated software really shouldn't take an expedition into the lower circles of the registry.

AVG is free and works fine. But then, like I say, I've never had a virus. Either that or I didn't notice and am currently inadvertently hosting every dubious p0rn site in existence.

Alternatively, just buy a Mac...