Author Topic: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please  (Read 24539 times)

Re: Good Android Apps - free or otherwise - recommendations please
« Reply #175 on: 04 December, 2013, 02:25:49 pm »
The one I'm looking forward to is realtime subtitling of humans (in whatever language).  We're not there yet, but it'll be a game-changer when it happens.

Molished

For Google Ear, they might call  it babelfish. Shame they used that for a basic translation service, eh?

LEE

« Reply #176 on: 04 December, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »
It will save councils millions.

All you need is an augmented view of crappy towns.

Bradford without Google Glass

Bradford when viewed through Google Glass

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #177 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:30:40 pm »
Thinking about upgrading my phone to ICS/JB - currently on 2.3.5. It is an HTC desire S - should I stay or should I go?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Chris S

« Reply #178 on: 05 December, 2013, 09:35:17 am »
Thinking about upgrading my phone to ICS/JB - currently on 2.3.5. It is an HTC desire S - should I stay or should I go?

Fboab upgraded her Samsung S2 to ICS, and she thinks the hardware struggles to keep up; some things are definitely more sluggish. Maybe something to consider - check some mobile forums to see if anyone else has reported their experiences with the HTC?

« Reply #179 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
Is there a Jelly Bean distro likely to appear? Noticed that my 4, 7 and 10 are all way more snappy, and it's meant to be good for lower power devices.

« Reply #180 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:41:39 am »
Google translate app is amazing.  You select translation languages, then speak, write, or take an image of text (highlighting area of interest), and it will translate it, and speak it for you.   

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate&hl=en

Word Lens (for modern Android phones and iPhones) is amazing.

Don't believe me?  This is a photo of my phone running Word lens.

Looks good.  Unfortunately at £2.99 - breaks my thrifty free-app-only policy. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #181 on: 05 December, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »

I updated my Desire S to ICS and regretted it.  It seemed to have problems maintaining a WiFi connection afterwards, and the update broke the automatic recognition of phone numbers so that if there was a phone number in my calendar, when you touched it, the calendar crashed.  Collateral damage from the Apple patent wars and widely reported.

Dave

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #182 on: 11 February, 2014, 02:33:58 pm »
So I just started using City Mapper. Fuck me it's amazing. It does everything to do with travel. Tell it where you want to go and it'll give you routes for walking, cycling (fast and slow), and how many approx calories, it'll tell you how much in cabs, which buses, tubes or trams you can take there.

It'll show you the nearest bus stops and display a arrivals timetable that seems to be more accurate than tfl's own, click on it again and it'll show you were the bus is atm. It also shows you were the boris bikes are and how many bikes/docks available. Also does tube information.

Seriously, would have paid £15 for this app but it's free. Only downside is that it doesn't tie with your contacts, so you can't just say take me to teh Charlotte's Seekrit Bunker but c'est la vie. Only works in London, Paris and NY though.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium