Author Topic: Eee PC901 - XP or Linux?  (Read 8419 times)

Eee PC901 - XP or Linux?
« on: 17 July, 2008, 03:00:37 pm »
I've more or less decided to buy an Eee PC901 (when they finally make it into the shops).

It will be used mainly for carrying Tracklogs and Mapsource around.

Given that I am not a geek and have no intention of becoming one, should I

a) stick to Windows XP with its bloat, built-in spyware and (on the PC901) SSHD size penalty, or
b) go for the Linux version and use WINE to run my essential Windows programs?

I would like to become Windoze-free, but not if the price of doing so is to become a computer nerd. Wine does, seemingly, work with Tracklogs and Mapsource; but I don't even know what sort of Linux (there seem to be various versions, yes?) Asus installs on the PC901, and I certainly don't want to have to become expert in it.

Jargon-free advice appreciated  :)
Profit or planet?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Eee PC901 - XP or Linux?
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:04:59 pm »
I am a horrendous n00b with Linux and I got it to work onna EeeeeeeeePC.  I even nuked Xandros and installed eeeXubuntu instead.  Just read the fabulous tutorials on www.eeeuser.com and go for it.

I've not tried Wine yet, but I intend to use my new XP laptop for GPS software.  If it turns out I could have avoided buying a new laptop for such things, I shall be peeved...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »
I don't even know what sort of Linux (there seem to be various versions, yes?) Asus installs on the PC901, and I certainly don't want to have to become expert in it.

It probably doesn't make any difference as the basis of them all is the same.  In any case it's a pretty trivial task to install a different distribution

I dunno about Wine & Mapsource, but if you give me an hour or so I'll find out :)

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2008, 03:34:41 pm »
I'm also facing the same problem - if you can call it that.

Get Linux version wth larger disk and no windows problems, but then have to install something to emulate Windows in order to run Memory map, upload tracks and one or two other key applications.

Or just go straight to Xp and be done with it.

Bit of a non-issue right now given the 901 is nowhere to be seen.
A shitter and a giggler.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2008, 04:54:41 pm »
Ok.

Yes you can do Mapsource under Linux.  It's not difficult, but it does have a geek rating of 6.5 and I suspect it'll be a bit odd

I'm going to persevere but I've decided it's actually going to be easier just to run XP as a virtual machine than bugger about for  a day getting Garmin to talk to Tux.

As an intermediate measure I have a tired old XP laptop on my desk, and I think I'll keep that for GPS duties :)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 17 July, 2008, 04:56:39 pm »
XP as a virtual machine

Hmmm.

What's the best way to do that?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

cc93

« Reply #6 on: 17 July, 2008, 04:58:31 pm »
you could always avoid the question entirely and get one of these 

Advent 4211 Review on CNET.co.uk

cheaper & available  :)

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 17 July, 2008, 04:59:35 pm »

What's the best way to do that?

Download VMWare and install XP inside it as if it were on a clean machine.

Just doing it now...

How to VMWare Server 1.0.6 and 2.0 RC1 in Ubuntu 8.04 - Ubuntu Forums

I'll be interested to see if the USB connections map through OK.

« Reply #8 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:00:24 pm »
I'm going to persevere but I've decided it's actually going to be easier just to run XP as a virtual machine than bugger about for a day getting Garmin to talk to Tux.

No experience of the newer GPSes but I've got gpsbabel talking to my Garmin eTrex on both (PPC) MacOS X and (x86) Linux, and that includes the magic driver for the PL2303 USB<->Serial cable.

But, yes, I've always got an XP machine nearby as it is much easier to use GPS Trackmaker to do that gubbins.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 17 July, 2008, 05:03:21 pm »
GPS Babel and stuff - yeah.  There's some very nice open source GPS stuff around that'll run on a sensible OS.  But I have Mapsource etc and I'd like to be able to use it on my every-day machine.

« Reply #10 on: 17 July, 2008, 07:01:21 pm »

Where?  ???  I thought PC World (hawk, spit) were the sole UK suppliers? They are offering it solely as a "collect from store" item at the moment - and no store in London has one in stock  :-\
Profit or planet?

cc93

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »
Where?  ???  I thought PC World (hawk, spit) were the sole UK suppliers? They are offering it solely as a "collect from store" item at the moment - and no store in London has one in stock  :-\

You're right!

I ordered mine on Sunday and it's at DHL for delivery tomorrow  :), they must have run out again now.

My local shop had no stock at the weekend as they appear to have been quite popular - especially since nobody seems to have stock of the MSI Wind which is the same item but dearer (presumably because you don't have to deal with PCW!)

bobajobrob

« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Just doing it now...

USB should work fine in vmware server. One thing to be aware of with vmware is that every time you get a kernel update vmware will break since the kernel modules won't be built for the new kernel. A few ways round this:

1. run the vmware-install.pl script which will rebuild the kernel modules. Sometimes the build will fail, in which case google the error and hope that someone has made a patch.
2. boot the old kernel and run as normal
3. don't install any updates that include a new kernel (will look like linux-image-x.x.x-x-x)

I'm using VirtualBox OSE at the moment since that is in the repos with pre-built kernel modules. It has no USB support though, which sucks. The non-OSE version supports USB but that's not in the repos, so it's the same deal as vmware server.

« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:18:08 pm »

+1 to that.  It's what I did, the two factors for me were the bigger and nicer keyboard (apparently) and the bigger disk.  Battery life isn't as good, but it's a very nice computer.

p.s. I got mine collect last week.  They kept going out of stock by the end of the day, and back in stock by the next morning.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:26:19 pm »

Just doing it now...

USB should work fine in vmware server. One thing to be aware of with vmware is that every time you get a kernel update vmware will break since the kernel modules won't be built for the new kernel. A few ways round this:

1. run the vmware-install.pl script which will rebuild the kernel modules. Sometimes the build will fail, in which case google the error and hope that someone has made a patch.
2. boot the old kernel and run as normal
3. don't install any updates that include a new kernel (will look like linux-image-x.x.x-x-x)

I'm using VirtualBox OSE at the moment since that is in the repos with pre-built kernel modules. It has no USB support though, which sucks. The non-OSE version supports USB but that's not in the repos, so it's the same deal as vmware server.

In the end I used VirtualBox   -  not the OSE version

It works fine, though I haven't yet got USB connectivity.  I just need to tweak it a bit.

Bit of a pain if it breaks when the kernel is updated though.

bobajobrob

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:32:41 pm »
Bit of a pain if it breaks when the kernel is updated though.

Yeap, unfortunately kernel modules are tied to a specific version of the kernel so refuse to load if the kernel version changes.

« Reply #16 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:36:54 pm »
This thread reminds me why I have a love hate relationship with XP.   I just plug things in and they work.   

bobajobrob

« Reply #17 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:41:55 pm »
Oh great, the M$ fanboys have arrived ;)

Seriously though, there's a whole slew of reasons not to use windows, which I won't go into now. Rebuilding the odd kernel module is a small price to pay IMHO. As for plugging things in and not working, I think windows has its fair share of problems.

« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:45:40 pm »
I'm definitely not an m$ fan  ;) but I don't want to have to mess around under the bonnet every time I connect a new device.   If you're technically capable tinkering with kernels might be interesting.  If you just want to get on and use the machine then it's a right pain in the arse.

Whatever the slew of reasons are they don't seem to be affecting my ability to just use the machine whenever I need to.   Obviously these reasons aren't impacting me.

bobajobrob

« Reply #19 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:50:33 pm »
I'm definitely not an m$ fan  ;) but I don't want to have to mess around under the bonnet every time I connect a new device.   If you're technically capable tinkering with kernels might be interesting.  If you just want to get on and use the machine then it's a right pain in the arse.

We're talking about running an install script and hitting "enter" a few times. It's hardly tinkering with kernels.

Whatever the slew of reasons are they don't seem to be affecting my ability to just use the machine whenever I need to.   Obviously these reasons aren't impacting me.

Viruses? Spyware? General windows suckery? I'd rather not :(

border-rider

« Reply #20 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:05:38 pm »
I'm definitely not an m$ fan  ;) but I don't want to have to mess around under the bonnet every time I connect a new device. 

What we're talking about here is running a different OS inna virtual machine inside another OS.  I'd suggest you'd likely need to tinker around under the bonnet to do that in any OS

On the whole, everyday stuff works well and you don't need Win.  Some stuff doesn't - like software written specifically for Win eg Mapsource, or hardware where the only drivers are for Win.  But that's getting to be less and less of a problem these days.

I just gave my mother-in-law a Thinkpad running Ubuntu.  She thinks it's wonderful because it just works.  She can do email, surfing, Office stuff all without random crap happening and without having to wrestle the firewall to the ground, constantly repair the wireless connection or continually update the AV and reboot. 

bobajobrob

« Reply #21 on: 19 July, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »
I just gave my mother-in-law a Thinkpad running Ubuntu.  She thinks it's wonderful because it just works.  She can do email, surfing, Office stuff all without random crap happening and without having to wrestle the firewall to the ground, constantly repair the wireless connection or continually update the AV and reboot. 

Linux on thinkpads is great. I have two of them and they Just Work.

I installed Ubuntu on my parents' Dell because their windows install with full Norton crapware had got slower and slower and eventually ground to a complete halt. It was completely unusable. With Ubuntu they commented on how fast and stable it was.

Now let's look at plugging things in. I use networked LaserJets at work and at home. Under Ubuntu you just add a new LaserJet printer and tell it the IP address. Job done. Under windows, you have to hunt around on the HP site for some executable. Let's say the executable doesn't contain a virus, you still have to download it and click through 50 pages of gumph just to add a printer. HP DeskJet? Just Works with Ubuntu, with 3 or 4 drivers to choose from. USB hard disk? Just Works. Digital camera. Guess. Scanner? Just Works with xsane.

Jakob

« Reply #22 on: 28 July, 2008, 01:31:11 am »
 I bought the 900 when I landed here in Vancouver (12GB SSD XP version) and it works out of the box.
 I installed firefox, python and could probably run a reduced iTunes library, but will wait until I buy some SD memory.
 Further, the built in camera/microphone has proven very good for Skype, which has made it much easier to stay in touch with my girlfriend.
 If you are used to using Windows, I cannot think of a single reason to go with Linux.
I happily use Linux at work, btw, but for home computing Windows or Mac is still the better choice, IMO.

border-rider

« Reply #23 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:05:10 am »
I happily use Linux at work, btw, but for home computing Windows or Mac is still the better choice, IMO.

Why ?

It's less stable, more bloaty, slower to load, more resource-hungry, more vulnerable to malware & the applications cost money.  I'm struggling to see the attraction.

« Reply #24 on: 28 July, 2008, 10:16:52 am »
Because you turn it on and it works.  You don't have to fiddle with it despite protestations to the contrary.  You plug in a new gadget and it works.   

I don't buy the 'It's less stable'.   Windows is generally very reliable.   To be fair, businesses wouldn't use Windows if it wasn't reliable.  Time costs them money.     

Unless you're a time-pressed demon then speed of boot is insignificant to time of use.

But the resource is there so what's the problem?   And still most computers work faster than we do so no real gain there.

Precautions work well.

Money.  Ah yes.  the killer blow, maybe.   However, the application that I most want to run doesn't work on Linux and I don't see the point in running Linux and them emulating windows.  It's like buying a gas tuber and sticking carbon fibre wrap on it.     

Windows v Linux is one of those Campag v Shimano debates.     :)