Author Topic: Which tablet?  (Read 8804 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Which tablet?
« Reply #75 on: 25 May, 2013, 12:26:20 pm »
There area a variety of ways of locking down Android if you want. I'm not sure what is built in to the OS as standard, but you can get apps to require passwords for particular apps, or hide them from the launcher. If you password protect Google Play, it will stop them from installing anything else.
eg something like App Lock https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.domobile.applock

« Reply #76 on: 25 May, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
Rescue is free & allows you to remotely access an android device. Ignition which allows you to connect to a PC/Mac is £20.14 & I can't see a free version unlike the logmein app on Ios which is free.

« Reply #77 on: 25 May, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »
i've still got a mk1 ipad which I need to sell, if that'd fit the bill?   Fine for all of the above.

That might work. How fast do iPads move on, is a Mk1 likely to be capable of running future versions of the os for a while etc? How is it for battery life?

battery life is fine but the old ones wont run the current, latest OS (it's on 5.1.1 which is as far as it'll get, I think).  But for email / documents / web / angry birds it's absolutely fine.   I'd advertised it here for 200 but that's probably about 50 quid too optimistic...  Let me know.  (SPs mum has first dibs, then rusky.. )

« Reply #78 on: 25 May, 2013, 02:39:00 pm »
Another thing I need to consider with my choice of tablet is that it is unlikely that my mum will switch her ailing laptop on again, and I recall previous posts in other threads to the effect that an iPad, for example, is not quite at the point where it can totally replace a laptop / PC, or that a "base" is needed. Can an Android tablet or mini-iPad work as a stand-alone device?

Mike, let me ponder this, but your iPad is definitely tempting. But Rusky, if you are interested in it don't wait for me to finish dithering.

« Reply #79 on: 25 May, 2013, 04:44:28 pm »
Rescue is free & allows you to remotely access an android device.
It does, but it ain't free. it's LogMeIn's cash cow.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #80 on: 25 May, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »
Fair enough, I was going by the Play store info & thought you would be able to use your LMI free account to manage them.

« Reply #81 on: 25 May, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »
Another thing I need to consider with my choice of tablet is that it is unlikely that my mum will switch her ailing laptop on again, and I recall previous posts in other threads to the effect that an iPad, for example, is not quite at the point where it can totally replace a laptop / PC, or that a "base" is needed. Can an Android tablet or mini-iPad work as a stand-alone device? ...

I can't speak definitively for the Apple devices (I mostly use Android devices), but I'd find it irritating to have to exclusively use a tablet.  When I'm out and about, I'll use it for things like email, browsing forums (eg YACF!) and Facebook, but it's a bit irritating using those, because the "soft" keyboard on the screen typically uses up half the screen.  I get a similar problem when using apps like an SSH client to log into the servers, or even a text editor for writing notes.  The on screen keyboards have gotten better, but they're always going to take up a lot of screen space, and not be as easy to use as a real keyboard.  You can of course plug a keyboard into an Android tablet (assuming its USB interface supports On-The-Go), but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a tablet.

When I'm using stuff designed for tablets, like mapping tools with the internal GPS, it's great for that, but more traditional keyboard based functionality is irritating, and certainly if I need to type a long complex entry, then I'll leave it until I can get home and use this netbook, or my work PC.

I'm not sure I'd recommend a tablet for a more conservative user, who has gotten used to using a keyboard, because they may well find the tablet's user interface to be quite a steep learning curve.

Why are you thinking about a tablet, as opposed to a cheap laptop or netbook?  My netbook was about the same price as my Nexus 7 (although the netbook doesn't have 3G access directly), and is only slightly larger, but once unfolded is a lot easier to use for any tasks requiring a keyboard.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #82 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »
I'd second that.

Bluetooth keyboards work well (indeed, you can get tablet cases with one built into the flap), so digging out a keyboard for keyboardy stuff, and staying in tablet mode for less input-intensive tasks *is* a viable approach, but it's not really something you can use while resting it on your lap as you might a netbook.

« Reply #83 on: 25 May, 2013, 08:53:03 pm »
Probably said before, but the main reason I'd probably not go for an iPad next time and go for an Android would be the multiple accounts feature. It's one of the few iPad gripes I have.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #84 on: 25 May, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »
I'm not sure I'd recommend a tablet for a more conservative user, who has gotten used to using a keyboard, because they may well find the tablet's user interface to be quite a steep learning curve.

I think you might be right.

I'd second that.

Bluetooth keyboards work well (indeed, you can get tablet cases with one built into the flap), so digging out a keyboard for keyboardy stuff, and staying in tablet mode for less input-intensive tasks *is* a viable approach, but it's not really something you can use while resting it on your lap as you might a netbook.

Rethink required. I haven't used a tablet so that hadn't really occurred to me. Also, I popped into Carphone Warehouse earlier and 7" tablets are out, for a start, on the grounds of screen area.

OK, back to the drawing board: help please. The situation is that my mum would like to have more internet access and faff-free email etc. Her current laptop has had it. Budget maybe £300. Not keen to invest in a Windows laptop and MacBooks are too expensive. Usage will be very light. Wi Fi only is ok. User-friendliness and willingness to cooperate unobtrusively with Home Hub, wireless printer etc essential.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #85 on: 25 May, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »
I have an iPad 1 and a bluetooth keyboard built into a case.

If you've ever read any of my blog posts, they're written on that keyboard in various hotel rooms across the Fatherland. The keyboard works brilliantly and it's very easy to type with (I can type almost at normal speed). I also like having cursor keys!

When I'm at home the keyboard/case gets put away as I don't write long emails on the iPad, I use a real computer for that (as it's usually on for work). But if I had to choose between an iPad or a netbook, I'd go for the iPad every time.

My mother in law has an ipad 4 and I bought her one of the snazzy aluminium case/keyboard thingies and it looks - and works - brilliantly. I have major keyboard envy but the alu ones aren't available for iPad 1s at a realistic price.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #86 on: 25 May, 2013, 10:07:02 pm »
I just had a go on a Nexus.  What a piece of shit.  Dull, laggy screen, iffy software, a really mediocre experience.  Now I'm back on my iPad and happy again; it's light years ahead for useability and feel.  As with so many things, it appears that you get what you pay for.

« Reply #87 on: 25 May, 2013, 11:38:10 pm »
I can't say I've had any of the problems you've suggested with my Nexus 7.  I'll admit it doesn't have much in the way of software as supplied, but there's stacks of free stuff that you can trivially install.

My own criterion is largely based on the 32G 3G iPad Mini being £449, whereas the 32G 3G Nexus 7 is £239.  Almost twice the price for the Apple model, and it then locks me into the Apple controlled software environment.  If you want access away from a WiFi network, there isn't a lot of choice outside of those two.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 26 May, 2013, 12:19:00 am »
I can't say I've had any of the problems you've suggested with my Nexus 7.  I'll admit it doesn't have much in the way of software as supplied, but there's stacks of free stuff that you can trivially install.

Agreed.  Perhaps Twedric means one of the other devices with Nexus in the name?

I'm very happy with my Nexus 7: Okay, the screen isn't insanely bright like many higher-end devices, but I consider that a positive feature for all but watching video (which I do rarely on a mobile device) - I find reading/writing text benefits from less brightness, not more.  I've not experienced any lagginess - indeed it all seems delightfully quick.

I'll grant you that the applications as supplied are minimal, but I consider that a positive feature - I want something low-cruft I can install what *I* want to use, rather than a load of bloaty bling installed by the manufacturer or telco (as is common on smartphones).  In fact, I've disabled many of the stock Google applications.

Software iffyness depends on the individual software, obviously.  At least with Android the iffy software exists (ie. I'd rather have a buggy app that fulfils some useful function than no app - the Apple model is actively hostile to developers, and while I'm not really a developer, it's not entirely unlikely that I might want to throw together an app for something at some point - it's nice to just be able to download the SDK and get hacking).

You get what you pay for, and a Nexus 7 seems to get you an awful lot for the price.  It's not an iPad, but it's not really trying to be an iPad.

« Reply #89 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
Sorry, I was being a little spiky there having ridden 190 Km and drunk beer :)

The Nexus is fantastic for the money, for sure, but I found it very lacklustre in comparison to the (admittedly much pricier) ipad.

If you'd have shown me one back in the day when I thought my Psion 5mx was cool, I'd have bitten your arm off.

There's a little bit of me that resents google ripping off my beloved Linux to give it the pop up OS it needed too.  I can forgive Apple its control freakery on the basis that it just works, very nicely indeed.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #90 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »
Yeah, but the flip side of that is cheap mobile devices that run Linux off-the shelf.

And if the patent situation was such that someone could actually build a Psion 5 form-factor Android device with Nexus 7 level performance and battery life, I'd be gnawing off several limbs.  A netbook-quality keyboard you can hold in your hand...

Agreed about control-freakery (not just Apple's).  A lot of the time it's a perfectly reasonable trade-off of features for reliability.  Even barakta's mum (the archetypical bogon-source) seems to be able to drive an iPhone...

« Reply #91 on: 26 May, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
As an aside, has anyone with a Nexus 7 got screen lift on the LHS of the screen? Mine is raised above the alu surround. It's a known problem & I haven'y had time to take it back, that & I don't want to be without it for 10 days min.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 26 May, 2013, 10:32:18 pm »
Nothing that's visible to the naked eye or feelable with a Mk 1 thumb on mine.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #93 on: 27 May, 2013, 11:31:45 am »
Nope, no problem on our slightly abused one.  Its been dropped a couple of times, and its not exactly looked after, but its always there ready for actino when we uncover it from wherever its hiding.
Wombat

« Reply #94 on: 28 May, 2013, 06:47:25 pm »
I've got no issue like that on mine either, but it's only a month or so old, has yet to be dropped, and is in a cheap leather case thingy, which provides a degree of protection from abuse.

« Reply #95 on: 28 May, 2013, 06:58:39 pm »
Mine's not been mistreated & has a nice case. Maybe they rectified it on newer models.

« Reply #96 on: 03 June, 2013, 07:22:37 am »
We just got aGalaxy Tab 7 as a freebie with a nee phone. I have to say that although it's very good, it's really not as good as the Nexus 7. You really notice that the screen resolution is not as good. This is the main thing that I don't like, but the way it treats some websites is also different. It's also quite a bit less responsive than the Nexus. Overall, it's very good, but the Nexus is just better in every area.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #97 on: 25 July, 2013, 03:28:02 pm »
Woop! Woop!

A shiny new Nexus 10 arrived on my desk the other day. It certainly is a thing of loveliness.

I knew that getting a tablet was a Good Idea, which would let me dispatch bits of work and derby stuff whilst on the go. I have a large phone, HTC One X, but having a tablet is awesome for making things easy.

The GUI is really close to the HTC's (as you would expect), but just different enough to be slightly odd :P

The WiFi card is really kick ass.

The screen is jaw dropping. However, as with my HTC, you only have to think about putting your finger on it to create a fingerprint. Whatever Apple do to their Gorilla Glass makes it resist fingerprints far more impressively than the Nexus.

As I am fully Googled-up from my phone, the tablet synched lots of the important stuff and some apps that are tablet compatible. I have also discovered Google Keep - a note taking app that is really nice, synchs to your Google account and, crucially, unlike Google Drive - it will save a note to the device memory until such a time as you get a data connection, so you can still take notes offline and know as soon as you hit connectivity they will back up.

It handles my work email really nicely - MS Exchange, used as IMAP.

If you have a Nexus 10, I can also recommend:

Moko Ultra-Slim SmartShell It doesn't add much bulk at all, has got appropriate cut outs for ports and camera, works as a stand and has a magnetic catch for sleep/wake of the tablet.

I am paranoid about letting the tablet float around my rucksack without a pouch to keep rucksack lint etc out of the ports.

inno-in neoprene pouch Ignoring the SCIENCE FAIL where they show that apparently distributing pressure over a smaller surface area reduces the stress on the tablet, the pouch is very good. Takes the tablet, in the smartshell, with ease, but without being oversized.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #98 on: 25 July, 2013, 06:53:32 pm »
I am very tempted by the new Nexus 7 which comes out in a week or so over where that's almost double the spec. Especially with the Mac Mini being delayed to about October.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium