Author Topic: Today's scammer  (Read 19052 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Today's scammer
« Reply #50 on: 19 October, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #51 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »
Do not be tempted, that stuff is a disaster, and may cost thousands to remove in order to cure the rot that it might cause.

I know you weren't tempted (how could I guess  ;D) but just wanted to reinforce that.
Wombat

« Reply #52 on: 21 October, 2016, 12:55:26 am »
Do not be tempted, that stuff is a disaster, and may cost thousands to remove in order to cure the rot that it might cause.

Do you have any references for that, or any indication of the likelihood of problems? I know that insurers seemed a little wary of it a few years ago, but my MiL's partner has some sort of business interest in the stuff and (some time ago) persuaded both her and my BiL to have their roofs done: I'd welcome evidence for my own scepticism.

« Reply #53 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:28:59 am »
Glad the potential for rot has been highlighted.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:51:33 am »
Anything which stops wood being ventilated will result in its rotting, unless it's a very dry environment.

Dry Rot
Dry rot is the most serious form of timber decay in a building and requires over 20% moisture level for spore germination. It is a fungus that destroys wood and eventually reduces timber to a dry crumbly consistency. It thrives in moist unventilated conditions and can occur in the areas of a property that are not often seen, so damage may be extensive before the attack is discovered.

From here.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #55 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:28:05 am »
If you could spray it *above* the roof timbers, it would be great.

I'm a bit surprised this stuff isn't being marketed in Australia - roofing over there is usually steel structural members and often corrugated aluminium or steel sheeting. sprayfoam would insulate, deaden sound from rain and increase the strength of the roof. Given the temperature ranges they are getting over there (winter lows are about 5C lower than they used to be, summer highs are about 5C higher) insulation would be a good thing.

They haven't discovered double glazing yet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #56 on: 21 October, 2016, 12:14:08 pm »
Or central heating, if Professor Larrington's current experience is in any way typical.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #57 on: 21 October, 2016, 01:31:08 pm »
Well, um, no, because for a large part of the year the main concern is cooling the house, not heating it. It's atypically cool in Perth ATM.

Where is Prof staying (don't say she's in student digs in Currie Hall)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #58 on: 21 October, 2016, 01:34:53 pm »
Twice this week I've received an e-mail from Natwest telling me my account was accessed by someone unknown in New Zealand and I should log in through the link given to confirm my details were correct. They gave a little map of New Zealand showing exactly where the account had been accessed, which I thought was jolly nice of them, particularly as I don't have a Natwest account.

The main part that gave it away though was the fact a fly had clearly landed on the map as it was photographed (presumably using a mobile phone) so as you scrolled the e-mail, the fly moved with it!!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #59 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:14:44 pm »
Where is Prof staying (don't say she's in student digs in Currie Hall)

Dunno ;D  I shall ask next time she cranks up Skype.

rr

« Reply #60 on: 21 October, 2016, 11:53:16 pm »
.... turned out not to be a scam, micro's german exchange's father, this close to the spam folder

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #61 on: 24 October, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »
The guy from the "Windows Technical Department"rang me today concerned that my computer was at risk. He asked me to press my Fn key and my windows key at the same time.
I told him that the computer is about 12 feet away from my living room window and I couldn't reach them both simultaneously and, no matter how hard I pressed the window, nothing was happening.
He didn't seem to appreciate my difficulty.  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #62 on: 24 October, 2016, 01:07:04 pm »
Begging via packets of tissues 'for sale' being left on empty train seats together with begging note is a new one. Apparently organised crime behind this one, so don't be tempted.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

essexian

« Reply #63 on: 25 October, 2016, 04:12:24 pm »
That was a bit strange.....

Upon checking my personal emails this morning, I noted that I had just purchased £25 of xbox play vouchers. Why is that strange...well I don't own an xbox and have no intention of ever doing so. Also, the purchase was made using a card I don't own.....

So, one email off to Amazon later they cancel the order and state that it seems someone has used my log in to place the order. There were also two other orders they cancelled for two further xbox vouchers.

I suppose someone could have broken into my Amazon account to place the order but why use a card which doesn't belong to me? I suppose it could be stolen and they thought using a "mug" to cover its use might be the way to cover their tracks?

So, password changed and all cards deleted off of Amazon. I doubt I will use it again in the short term. Oh, my last purchase from them is quite funny..... Magistrates Court practice guidance "handbook." (its about 1000 pages long). Its a cracking read.....  ;D

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #64 on: 13 November, 2016, 05:35:19 pm »
Begging via packets of tissues 'for sale' being left on empty train seats together with begging note is a new one. Apparently organised crime behind this one, so don't be tempted.

Been going on for a while. Organised gangs, mostly eastern European, been hitting Southern for over a year.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

ian

« Reply #65 on: 14 November, 2016, 04:31:52 pm »

Been going on for a while. Organised gangs, mostly eastern European, been hitting Southern for over a year.

It used to happen when I moved to London many years ago then died out for a while (mostly replaced by the bloke that just need your help to get into 'the about to close homeless shelter' and the Brockley crazy baby milk lady) – either tissues or a pen. Used to be ubiquitous on the Chicago L, the only train system I've been on with more mad people per carriage than London. Though admittedly, they're not close to the numbers on any night bus that goes through Elephant & Castle at 3am.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #66 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:59:03 pm »
To: Me
Subject: Catholic Charities Assistance Letter.

Dear Loved one,

It fills us with delight to announce that our organization has been enjoying your patronage in the locality from last two decades. It makes us proud to do something for the local area development.As you are aware that this area is having a population of not less than 1000 people live there. Most of them are really poor people and live on daily labor. Those people have provided us so many services though they are poor.  We wish to provide them with basic amenities for life in the coming festival eve.

The list of such items includes clean drinking water, their dwelling houses, some medicines, food materials and garments. Also, some additional things like nutritious foods, medicines and books for children will also be distributed. Our efforts can be flourishing with your whole hearted support. We wish your support with us.TEXT PHONE NUMBER (423)330-1100
 james mcnurlen..Email to reply:[redacted]
Headquarters: Alexandria, Virginia
 Thanking you,
Yours faithfully,
Catholic Charities USA

I have not the words and, while they do have them, they're not capable of assembling them into a coherent sentence.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #67 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:02:38 pm »
Isn't that an email from a Trump supporter?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #68 on: 13 June, 2023, 05:42:43 pm »
Jan's phone and mine rang simultaneously a few minutes ago, being contacted by the same number: 020 4586 2821

This, apparently, is a known scam associated with solar panels. Neither of us answered before the calling computer gave up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #69 on: 13 June, 2023, 05:48:36 pm »
I had a new thing today - BT's TXT to Voice number* calling the land line, to say I had a text message.

The text message wasn't from a number I recognised, in fact it wasn't a proper number at all, so I ignored it. It rang 5 times before I found out how to stop them: call 0800 5875252 and choose the option to change the curfew, eventually in the options you get '5' to switch them off altogether. If someone wants to TXT me they can use my mobile  :)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #70 on: 07 July, 2023, 10:10:20 pm »
I got done yesterday.
There was an ad on Facebook (warning no1) for a Loakes Shoes sale.
I clicked it and was taken to a perfect copy of the Loakes site (With valid cert) which offered a sale with 80% off their range (warning no2).
I bought 63 quids worth of shoes using their legit Stripe checkout and didn't get a confirmation email.
So I logged into the site again to see what's up, order still there "payment pending". OK fair enough, thinks I, the site is probably busy due to the sale.

having closed my browser during the day, I tried to log in again to check on the order and lo and behold, there was no record of the order at all. Also, I had to change my password to log in. Uh Oh.

The site I had ordered from was loakeuk.shop (now taken down) and the real site is loake.com

So, I'm out £63 pending a claim process which may or may not return my money from Mastercard after 30 days.  I called my bank before the payment went through but they were unable to cancel it because "it wasn't fraud, you entered your details". It's possible I'll get the money back 30 days after non receipt of goods. I'm not holding my breath.

So..the moral of the story is - don't trust anything on Facebook because they CBA to vet advertisers. Don't order through Stripe because they cba to vet their customers.

I asked the bank and they said it would have been the same situation had I used a credit card. I guess I'll stick to Paypal.

The worst part is two of my mates gone done after I passed them the link, and 5 of _their_ mates got done similarly. Agh.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #71 on: 07 July, 2023, 10:16:43 pm »
I have a bit of a worry at the moment.  I ordered something on Tuesday and paid with PayPal.  The money has been taken but there is no sign of any transaction.  £122. 

I could be wrong but I think that I have suckered.  🙁

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #72 on: 07 July, 2023, 10:20:54 pm »
What do paypal say? I've found them to usually side with the buyer if there's an issue. Good luck.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #73 on: 08 July, 2023, 08:03:23 am »
I have emailed the "seller".  I am away until Wednesday so if nothing has happened by then I will contact Paypal.

« Reply #74 on: 08 July, 2023, 08:45:46 am »
There was a post on Mastodon yesterday saying how everything on Britain now is either a scam or subjuct to enshitification. Which about sums it up.

Friend of my wife - normally tuned in - got scammed via Facebook. They bought about £60 worth of garden stuff (plants, compost etc) and were persuaded to pay using PayPal 'friends & family'. A few friendly emails went back and forth, until..... well you guessed it - the emails were undeliverable and no more was heard.

PayPal were understanding and did a refund but gave a good talking to about using the correct payment option.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.