Author Topic: Yahoo Groups Moderator Settings  (Read 827 times)

Yahoo Groups Moderator Settings
« on: 13 September, 2009, 12:35:07 pm »
A friend of mine who moderates the local BUG user group is having difficulty making photos and attachments visible to the group members. He tries to upload files but they get deleted.The best that he's managed so for is to create a PDF file containing a picture which is only viewable by selecting 'open file with...or save to disk'.

Could anybody with experience of moderating a Yahoo group provide a walkthrough in setting  up the attachment section correctly?

Thanks.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

border-rider

Re: Yahoo Groups Moderator Settings
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
What's he trying to do ?

If he's trying to attach files to messages to the group, then he needs to change the group mailing settings to allow this - but even if he does, I suspect that some spam filters will strip them out

The ones that I look after, we just upload docs/photos to the "files" area on the group's webpage, and the system sends out an automessage to everyone that this has happened.  They can then lift the file off the website.

If everyone has their spam filters sorted and the yahoogroup email settings allow it, it's certainly possible to email attachments to the whole group.  It's not always welcome though, if they're big files.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: Yahoo Groups Moderator Settings
« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2009, 07:30:21 am »
Correct, thats the way Yahoo groups works.  if you elect to receive emails from the group, you get the attachments, but if you view the group on the Yahoo website (very roughly equivalent to what we are doing here, you can't get 'em. 

There has been a recent change to allow attachements to be diverted to an online resource, and the poster's attachement shows as a link, which accesses it.  This has t be set up by the moderator, though.  I'm a member of at least 6 Yahoo groups, and this one often comes up.

I very rarely get to see any of the photos on here, when viewing at work....  most frustrating!
Wombat